The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

If the Canucks do manage to trade this contract be prepared to give up an asset as a sweetener.  It might cost you Jake V or Adam G.  TOR had to give up a first round pick to shake off one year of Marleau's contract.  LE is younger but has 3 more years. Yikes.

• Haha 3

Just now, danaimo said:

If the Canucks do manage to trade this contract be prepared to give up an asset as a sweetener.  It might cost you Jake V or Adam G.  TOR had to give up a first round pick to shake off one year of Marleau's contract.  LE is younger but has 3 more years. Yikes.

Lol. He’s still a useful player and is being paid 3 mil. If the Canucks retain its even easier.

his cap hit is 6 mil and salary is 3 mil . It’s a very different situation. At worst bury him in the minors - we don’t have cap issues 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, mll said:

Arizona is right at the cap - they have 2.8M of cap space and still 2 players to sign.

The only team close to the floor is Ottawa and both Arizona with Hossa and Vegas with Clarkson are probably looking to move those contracts to have more cap flexibility.  Vegas has been trying to move Clarkson but Ottawa is probably waiting for his bonus to be paid on 1 July as it is then only 200K in salary.  

I stand corrected. I didn't realize how much they have spent on their defense. That's waaaay too much. We should relieve them a little bit...Hjalmarson, maybe? There's probably a trade Arizona has in the works. They didn't score enough last season. Not saying Eriksson helps that, but it's easy to see they aren't going to remain at the status quo.

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Lol. He’s still a useful player and is being paid 3 mil. If the Canucks retain its even easier.

his cap hit is 6 mil and salary is 3 mil . It’s a very different situation. At worst bury him in the minors - we don’t have cap issues 

retain 50% -- they only have to pay 1.5 million for a seasoned third line checker with offensive upside 

he may blow up to 20 goals 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, danaimo said:

Toronto were FORCED to because they need to sign Marner and they are up against the cap.

We have 15 million in cap space if we keep Loui.  Totally different situations pal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Toronto were FORCED to because they need to sign Marner and they are up against the cap.

We have 15 million in cap space if we keep Loui.  Totally different situations pal.

LE can go to Utica

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The difference being Eriksson can still play in the bottom six for the cap floor team Ottawa while the corpses of both hossa and clarkson would need some weeding and watering.

They can find cheaper bottom-6 players.  Why would they take on an average 3M in real salary when they can get someone under 3M to play the same role.  Vegas or Arizona will have to give up an asset to move Clarkson or Hossa - their contracts are insured so it's only 200K.  

There is also a potential lockout and bonuses are still due - it's 3M for Eriksson.  

Edited by mll

12 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

I stand corrected. I didn't realize how much they have spent on their defense. That's waaaay too much. We should relieve them a little bit...Hjalmarson, maybe? There's probably a trade Arizona has in the works. They didn't score enough last season. Not saying Eriksson helps that, but it's easy to see they aren't going to remain at the status quo.

They still have the Hossa contract so they could still use LTIR.  They might prefer to move his contract to have more flexibility.   

On D they are at 30.3M for 8 players which for now is 2nd highest behind San Jose.  By salary and sides listed on CapFriendly:

Goligoski  OEL

Chykrun   Hjalmarsson

Oesterle  Demers

+ Lyubushkin, Capobianco

Hjalmarsson has a full NMC.  If they move a RD - more likely Demers.  Benning tried to get him out of Florida but he refused to waive his limited NTC.  Apparently for tax reasons.  

2 hours ago, mll said:

They still have the Hossa contract so they could still use LTIR.  They might prefer to move his contract to have more flexibility.   

On D they are at 30.3M for 8 players which for now is 2nd highest behind San Jose.  By salary and sides listed on CapFriendly:

Goligoski  OEL

Chykrun   Hjalmarsson

Oesterle  Demers

+ Lyubushkin, Capobianco

Hjalmarsson has a full NMC.  If they move a RD - more likely Demers.  Benning tried to get him out of Florida but he refused to waive his limited NTC.  Apparently for tax reasons.  

Do we really want a player who didn't want us?

Was kindof hoping to see an Eriksson with Ottawa boy Hutton go for Smith.  Smith has $6.5mil remaining in real dollars whereas Loui will have $9 mil after July 1st.  Perhaps a deal pre-July 1 with the $3mil bonus as "future considerations"?  Smith expiring a year early is perfect for our two-year pre-Petey/Hughes timeline as well.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, mll said:

Goligoski  OEL

Chykrun   Hjalmarsson

Oesterle  Demers

+ Lyubushkin, Capobianco

It might be a left D the Nucks are looking for too. I can't see signing 2 of the defensemen on the market. They're way too expensive. Sign one and trade for one, IMO. I think Benning has this love in for Myers because he had Chara in Boston. Plus if he has Myers and then Tryamkin comes back, you have a really tall, really long pairing on the back end. Neither of them play like Chara though. The signable D options are risky. If we are to sign one, Anton Stralman is my vote right now and he plays like a guy we need on the back end. The contract isn't gonna be crazy, most likely.

I dunno. Getting Myers or Gardiner on a huge long term contract feels like a gigantic risk to me.

2 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

It might be a left D the Nucks are looking for too. I can't see signing 2 of the defensemen on the market. They're way too expensive. Sign one and trade for one, IMO. I think Benning has this love in for Myers because he had Chara in Boston. Plus if he has Myers and then Tryamkin comes back, you have a really tall, really long pairing on the back end. Neither of them play like Chara though. The signable D options are risky. If we are to sign one, Anton Stralman is my vote right now and he plays like a guy we need on the back end. The contract isn't gonna be crazy, most likely.

I dunno. Getting Myers or Gardiner on a huge long term contract feels like a gigantic risk to me.

I agree that getting Stralman would be a good idea. He could play with Edler.

Put Myers on the 2nd pairing with someone else...maybe trade for Dillon as SJ need to clear cap.

Edler  Stralman

Dillon  Myers

Hughes  someone

Edited by Kanukfanatic

38 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I agree that getting Stralman would be a good idea. He could play with Edler.

Put Myers on the 2nd pairing with someone else...maybe trade for Dillon as SJ need to clear cap.

Edler  Stralman

Dillon  Myers

Hughes  someone

Nah, it's one or the other. They won't be taking on Stralman and Myers unless they're moving out Stetcher too.