The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

34 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If they were under the cap floor, absolutely.

Ottawa is under the cap floor.

They likely reach it when they re-sign Colin White - but they also 9 UFAs expriring next year = 23ish million of cap opening.   They don't 'need' Eriksson, but they might use him - and the price to send him there likely moderated relative to other situations.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Issue for them isn't the cap hit, it's the real dollars paid out.  Given their owner doesn't give a rat's arse about winning, I don't see them as being likely to see the need to pay any amount of money when they're already above the cap floor.  Normal valuations don't apply when you're dealing with a team with a bad owner.

Melnyk could cut his roster down to 6 players and pay them $10.04mil each to just reach the cap floor, but NHL rosters are typically 23 players. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

They do need to also actually fill out a roster. This just in, you need real live players.

Ryan Boedker Tierney Pageau Smith Ennis Brown Duclair - that's 8 players that are expected to be regulars.  White and Tkatchuk makes it 10 and leaves only 2 spots for rookies.  They might even decide to waive someone to create a 3rd spot.  

They want the prospects that are ready to be in the lineup to accelerate their development.  Eriksson's contract is 3 years and they will have several prospects whose ELCs are up before his contract is over.  

Right now they are 640K under the cap with 20 players - league minimum is 700K so they are adding at least 2.1M.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Ryan Boedker Tierney Pageau Smith Ennis Brown Duclair - that's 8 players that are expected to be regulars.  White and Tkatchuk makes it 10 and leaves only 2 spots for rookies.  They might even decide to waive someone to create a 3rd spot.  

They want the prospects that are ready to be in the lineup to accelerate their development.  Eriksson's contract is 3 years and they will have several prospects whose ELCs are up before his contract is over.  

Right now they are 640K under the cap with 20 players - league minimum is 700K so they are adding at least 2.1M.  

I'm not suggesting they need him to reach the floor. 

You're however apparently suggesting they'd prefer to ice a full AHL team. You, and they, can fill their boots.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Ottawa is under the cap floor.

They likely reach it when they re-sign Colin White - but they also 9 UFAs expriring next year = 23ish million of cap opening.   They don't 'need' Eriksson, but they might use him - and the price to send him there likely moderated relative to other situations.

This is an interesting point, they may be able to reach the floor now, but with so many expiring deals, they might actually have more trouble getting to the floor since they're not exactly a dream destination right now, but maybe some massive overpayments will bring in players looking for the payout and help them reach the floor, but those will be actual dollars. I was thinking we should retain cap/salary to make a deal (eg for Smith) more appealing, but maybe there's full value here for Ottawa for a full hit. Just need that bonus paid out if not done already.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

They do need to also actually fill out a roster. This just in, you need real live players.

They have 10 forward signed (11 with Colin White), 7 dmen and 3 goalies. They basically need at least 1 more forward and another extra player if they choose to keep 3 goalies up. If they send one down, then one more player if they want a full 23 man roster.

They likely will have Batherson, Formenton, Brown, Paul, or even Chlapik battling for that forward spot and the extra spot. We could see Lajoie get a spot who had a hot start last season and Brannstrom could be a wild card in the running. They will have no problem icing a team, but adding LE isn't going to make that team any better.

The only real benefit of adding a LE is so it adds to their cap for the following years as well with so many expiring deals and they may have trouble getting to the floor at that point. But that's next season's problem, so they aren't desperate to make a move here and plenty of teams will have players that they will want to dump every year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

1 final point how can you possibly believe that your in the right. Ask yourself this can you ask me the same thing or are you the jerk and I just confronted the troll

lol i'm a jerk coz i said what top end UFA have we signed literally since the existent of this franchise? okay? because i didn't agree with his definition of top end UFA i'm a jerk? so did you call out everyone you work with or interact with coz they don't agree with your assessment/opinion?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Just checked their stats on hockeydb and have to say no to these 2 plugs. They won’t be good enough to make the team. They bring nothing to the table. Rather bury Eriksson in the minors and just pay the 5M cap hit.

Really depends on the structure of those deals. What do buyouts on them look like? Are those contracts then potentially easier to trade away if taken for Eriksson?

They are a year less and even if we took on both and buried them in Utica it would double the cap savings as each would get about a mil instead of the 1mil Loui would save if demoted. 

On the surface, Eriksson for one of them would be great. For both would even be palatable worst case.

Edited by Silver Ghost

1 hour ago, Silver Ghost said:

Really depends on the structure of those deals. What do buyouts on them look like? Are those contracts then potentially easier to trade away if taken for Eriksson?

They are a year less and even if we took on both and buried them in Utica it would double the cap savings as each would get about a mil instead of the 1mil Loui would save if demoted. 

On the surface, Eriksson for one of them would be great. For both would even be palatable worst case.

They're both usable players as well.  We actually still could use a little forward depth for the bottom 6; we're a little light on guys we can call up and trust.  Would much prefer for Gaud to spend a good portion of this season in Utica playing offensive minutes, and Schaller probably has played his last game here.  Room for one extra forward in Roussel's spot to start the year, and that's assuming we get through training camp without more injuries.

8 hours ago, teepain said:

Eriksson 

baertschi

2nd rounder 2020

for 

bobby ryan they retain 50%

5th rounder

would you do this

its scenarios like this that make me OK with a Lucic deal given all its warts, we just have to give up too much and take back worse players in other scenarios, and we need that 2nd rounder. If we're intent on moving Baer I think we could recover the 2nd rounder for him too in a separate deal. 

But I wonder if there's any truth at all to the Dallas rumours? thats the only other deal where I can see us doing OK. Cogliano + throw away parts for Loui would be a no-brainer but we'll see. 

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

They will have no problem icing a team, but adding LE isn't going to make that team any better.

Yes, a largely AHL team. And even if he doesn't make them better (which is arguable), at least it's not throwing a kid in, over their head to PK and play hard minutes etc at this level, before they're ready.

Same thing we did here with largely disposable vets.

And it's not like he'd cost Melnyk real money, particularly if we say retain $1-2m. He's only earning $3m/year now. Throw in a Goldobin level sweetener and call it a day.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes, a largely AHL team. And even if he doesn't make them better (which is arguable), at least it's not throwing a kid in, over their head to PK and play hard minutes etc at this level, before they're ready.

Same thing we did here with largely disposable vets.

And it's not like he'd cost Melnyk real money, particularly if we say retain $1-2m. He's only earning $3m/year now. Throw in a Goldobin level sweetener and call it a day.

Pageau, Smith, Tierney and Connor Brown all play PK.   They all averaged more SH time than Eriksson last season.  

Fwiw Jimmy Murphy says the cost to move Backes who is also a 6M cap hit but for 2 years and a 2.5M /year in salary (assuming his bonus was already paid earlier this month) is a 1st round pick.  

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Pageau, Smith, Tierney and Connor Brown all play PK.   They all averaged more SH time than Eriksson last season.  

Fwiw Jimmy Murphy says the cost to move Backes who is also a 6M cap hit but for 2 years and a 2.5M /year in salary (assuming his bonus was already paid earlier this month) is a 1st round pick.  

I'd trade LE for Backes in a heartbeat. Backes has a year shorter term, both slugs but on guessing we still may need to add.