The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

3 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Why Ghost if we have Hughes on the come up?

Cause you can never have enough of a good thing? That'd be like not drafting Turcotte at 10 because we have Karlsson, Madden, Gaudette, Petey and Bo. Lol.

This would be a good value bet with Ghost having a down year and Philly seemingly wanting him gone. Our scoring from the blueline is abysmal and Hughes alone isn't enough to change that. Any top 4 blue liner on the market we should be interested in, especially if they are 25 and one year removed from a 65 point season. 

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Cause you can never have enough of a good thing? That'd be like not drafting Turcotte at 10 because we have Karlsson, Madden, Gaudette, Petey and Bo. Lol.

This would be a good value bet with Ghost having a down year and Philly seemingly wanting him gone. Our scoring from the blueline is abysmal and Hughes alone isn't enough to change that. Any top 4 blue liner on the market we should be interested in, especially if they are 25 and one year removed from a 65 point season. 

My only issue with the move is yhat hes a LD. I only want him if elder is gone.

Didn’t St. Louis just win the Cup with a bunch of 6’5” 230 pound defencemen?  Why would we want to add another guy under 6’?

I’d rather we go all in and trade for a guy like Zadorov. Partner him with Tryamkin and no opposing forward would want to cross our blueline. 

Zadorov and Tryamkin are made for playoff hockey. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 3

Just now, 73 Percent said:

My only issue with the move is yhat hes a LD. I only want him if elder is gone.

Personally, I think Edler and Ghost would make a good pairing. Similarly to Edler and Ehrhoff. He's LD but outside of Edler we don't have any good top 4 left D anyway and I think people are putting a bit too much on Hughes plate this early. Guy is still 19. Hutton's best year is worse than Ghost's worst year. Hell, Ghost's worst year point wise is almost better than Hutton's last 3 years combined. 

Edler - Tanev

Ghost - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn (or a FA)

Doesn't look too bad and it gives our 20 year old star of the future some breathing room to just develop and not be the savior. Could also go and get Stralman in Free agency to play with Edler and throw Tanev down with Hughes. Either way I don't think we are nearly deep enough on LD to give a hard no to Ghost. Nobody on this blue line has scored 65 points in a season. Ghost and Hughes would be a deadly 1-2 punch as our top 2 LD in a couple years when Hughes develops more.

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Personally, I think Edler and Ghost would make a good pairing. Similarly to Edler and Ehrhoff. He's LD but outside of Edler we don't have any good top 4 left D anyway and I think people are putting a bit too much on Hughes plate this early. Guy is still 19. Hutton's best year is worse than Ghost's worst year. Hell, Ghost's worst year point wise is almost better than Hutton's last 3 years combined. 

Edler - Tanev

Ghost - Stecher

Doesn't look too bad and it gives our 20 year old star of the future some breathing room to just develop and not be the savior. Could also go and get Stralman in Free agency to play with Edler and throw Tanev down with Hughes. Either way I don't think we are nearly deep enough on LD to give a hard no to Ghost. Nobody on this blue line has scored 65 points in a season. Ghost and Hughes would be a deadly 1-2 punch as our top 2 LD in a couple years when Hughes develops more.

So adding Gostisbehere is the key to rebuilding the defense...…...outside of Edler and Schenn, that defense would be ventilated by a solid forecheck. Smurftown.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn’t St. Louis just win the Cup with a bunch of 6’5” 230 pound defencemen?  Why would we want to add another guy under 6’?

I’d rather we go all in and trade for a guy like Zadorov. Partner him with Tryamkin and no opposing forward would want to cross our blueline. 

Zadorov and Tryamkin are made for playoff hockey. 

I see all these proposals for people and a d-line of nothing but smurfs and Edler's spectre.

I see a first or second round exit with a back-end like that. They'd be ground to dust in a 7-game series. St Louis' D-men can all skate, with that size. Pietrangelo being the most obvious 'offensive' component of that, but the rest were 'neutral' - good enough to chip in points, and defensive enough to stop them from doing that. A huge, tough back line.

It's nice. I like how they out-Bruined the Bruins - they were harder hitting AND faster.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So adding Gostisbehere is the key to rebuilding the defense. Outside of Edler and Schenn, that defense would be ventilated by a solid forecheck. Smurftown.

I mean, size did nothing for us last season to the point we got rid of someone with size for a forward. But you right. Not a very large lineup. There are more ways to counter a forecheck than just be big and bounce the hit off of you though. Like I dunno, moving the puck. Besides I'd rather revamp the right side with bigger players if it means our top 4 has Ghost and Hughes in it. 

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I mean, size did nothing for us last season to the point we got rid of someone with size for a forward. But you right. Not a very large lineup. There are more ways to counter a forecheck than just be big and bounce the hit off of you though. Like I dunno, moving the puck. Besides I'd rather revamp the right side with bigger players if it means our top 4 has Ghost and Hughes in it. 

You're gonna get hit, if you're a defender with the puck in your own zone. It's *going* to happen. It's the nature of that position. Even if you dish the puck, you're gonna get checked (well, not against us, but that's been a criticism I've been leveling against our own team for years, few checks finished). That grinding against the wall takes its toll. Not just through injury, but it tires you out. Mental mistakes creep in, ugly giveaways or bad offensive decisions.

The difference is, if you're bigger than the guy hitting you, he's gonna get just as tired of getting hit as you would be. Assuming they take that run at all, saving the effort and the tiredness.

You can 'try' to dish the puck off, but you're still gonna have to absorb the hits on occasion.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Edler - Tanev

Ghost - Stecher

The Canucks D needs an overhaul. And by overhaul I don’t mean adding Ghost and keeping everyone else in tact. The days of Tanev and Edler being anchors in the top 4 need to come to an end. You simply cannot rely on two guys who only play 2/3rds of a season to consistently be your go to minute eaters. It is INEVIETABLE at this stage on their careers that they will go down with injury at some point in the season. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup. Hopefully nothing gets to that point. 

It wouldn't necessarily be all bad for either party really. If Loui has had enough of the NHL, he's going to have gotten a nice payday with the signing bonus, and it's unlikely he gets any other deal at the end of this contract anyway. He could pick up a deal in Sweden to play (where, if international tournies are any indication, are where he seems to want to be), the Canucks are free from his contract.

Depends if he wants to leave the $$$ on the table though, and f he'd rather play and "have fun" on his european retirement tour.

But, maybe someone comes in and blows the doors off us with an offer for him, like a 6th round pick with no salary retained.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, size did nothing for us last season to the point we got rid of someone with size for a forward.

Gudbranson, while a very big and imposing defenseman, admitted that he couldn't "put it together" last year and was constantly out of position. That trade needed to happen as he wasn't going to work here.

But you right. Not a very large lineup. There are more ways to counter a forecheck than just be big and bounce the hit off of you though. Like I dunno, moving the puck.

Sure, you can move the puck. Hockey happens in the corners and on the boards, as much as it happens in the centre of the ice. Having some size to deter/counter a hard forecheck works a heck of a lot better than hoping that an average size defense corps can weather it.

Besides I'd rather revamp the right side with bigger players if it means our top 4 has Ghost and Hughes in it. 

That's a great idea.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

I just dont see Ghost as the type of D we need to add. Kind of like needing a new vehicle and buying a two door coupe because it was avaible when really you needed an F150.

that was such a wise comment that just a like couldn't express how much I enjoyed it.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

What size are you referring to?  Guddy?  I don’t recall anyone with size other than him until Schenn came along. Guddy with all his size didn’t move the puck very well. If he was on our 3rd pairing it would have been fine. But we relied on him to be in the top 4, which he is not a top 4 defenceman. 

A guy like Zadorov can easily slide into our top 4 and partner a guy like Stecher. We don’t currently have anyone like him on the roster. The only guy we have that’s bigger and meaner than Zadorov is currently playing in Russia. Bring them both home to Vancouver and most of our D problems will be solved. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson, while a very big and imposing defenseman, admitted that he couldn't "put it together" last year and was constantly out of position. That trade needed to happen as he wasn't going to work here.

Sure, you can move the puck. Hockey happens in the corners and on the boards, as much as it happens in the centre of the ice. Having some size to deter/counter a hard forecheck works a heck of a lot better than hoping that an average size defense corps can weather it.

That's a great idea.

I agree with you on the size point, most of my post was focusing on the future of the left side. Hughes and Ghost would be a good 1-2 punch in my books. And I guess part of me has Seider in mind for the future with all the Seider hype floating around. The lineup I posted wasn't supposed to be the end all be all of our blueline. Just a stamp of what it'd look like for the short term with the addition of Ghost. 

• Upvote 1