The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade Olli Maatta to Blackhawks for Dominik Kahun, 2019 5th-round pick

I like Dominic Kahun, not sure why the Hawks departed with him.  He brings a lot of versatility and in his rookie season he got 37 points while being bounced around constantly on Toews-Kane line to Debrincat-Strome line to Anisimov and Saad line.

Pittsburgh got a steal.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Not bad for Pittsburgh tbh.

Maatta isn't a very good skater and has had lots of health issues in the past. 

It's pretty bad when Juolevi is/was compared to Olli Maatta during the draft. And I'm a Juolevi fan - or at least i am not a basher.

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's pretty bad when Juolevi is/was compared to Olli Maatta during the draft. And I'm a Juolevi fan - or at least i am not a basher.

Yup.  Matta started out well, but just never improved, if not actually regressing.  I guess the Hawks see Matta as just in a plateau, and he can still get better.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Matta started out well, but just never improved, if not actually regressing.  I guess the Hawks see Matta as just in a plateau, and he can still get better.  

I mean....he did have Cancer. Gotta cut the guy some slack for not hitting his projected potential thus far.

I could totally see Olli turn it around and get back on track to being a great addition for the hawks. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I like Dominic Kahun, not sure why the Hawks departed with him.  He brings a lot of versatility and in his rookie season he got 37 points while being bounced around constantly on Toews-Kane line to Debrincat-Strome line to Anisimov and Saad line.

Pittsburgh got a steal.

With the Hawks bringing Kubalik over from Europe, they feel they've already upgraded on Kahun.  Kubalik and Kahun played on the same line in the Swiss league and it was Kubalik who was the driver of the line and led the team in scoring.

In the end, the Hawks need the services of Maatta over Kahun.  And Maatta is still only 24 and big bodied and had a pretty serious issue to overcome.  He's showed an ability persevere.  I'm not disappointed with the return.

Edited by skolozsy2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

I mean....he did have Cancer. Gotta cut the guy some slack for not hitting his projected potential thus far.

I could totally see Olli turn it around and get back on track to being a great addition for the hawks. 

As a fan Can’t help wanting the guy to do well, but the league is not going to give him an inch of sympathy.  Hawks are in a serious decline as their Cup winning stars are getting old.  I don’t get this move for 

Chicago. 

I wonder if this is an indicator of the way Chicago is leaning with the 3rd overall pick. Alex Turcotte instead of Bowen Byram? Maybe I am reading too much into it? What does everyone here think?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1