The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alexander Edler to hit the free agency market

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Image result for stupid is as stupid does gif

3 years, at $5.5m with no ED protection is a huge, huge win for Benning, I agree

Hopefully some one considers him an asset to trade for at the end of season.

Now how about Tanev and a 2nd rounder for Risto.

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Absolute bargain.  Big haircut considering the contracts being thrown around.  So much for Edler being selfish...

Sounds like he changed his stance,.  Not like anyone twisted his arm or anything..  that great.

16 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Your turn Old News, dream a little... it’s hockey, anything can happen..  look what the Blues did this year.

Don't mean to seem overly critical - I much prefer your blueline to a whole lot of other proposed ones out there that include the likes of signing Gardiner.

I'm too tired to reformulate my 'dream' blueline at the moment, but the measured version would be an Edler re-sign, perhaps a signing like Stralman, Tanev or a deal with a Cernak/Mayfield as the principal, and depending on Juolevi's readiness, I might move Stecher up the lineup to play with Edler in order to have a veteran D with Juolevi....  The dream big version would probably be a bigger deal than Tanev/Cernak/Mayfield, with a Ristolainen type (obviously depending on what prospect or pick has to be a principal in that deal).

I like a plan that involves an older veteran placeholder signing to limited term and maximum flexibility, while providing the youth in the lineup with enough veteran support/sheltering for them to thrive.  I also like the idea of retaining maximum flexibility because it is only likely to increase in value as the pressure and opportunities of an expansion draft approaches.

30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Don't mean to seem overly critical - I much prefer your blueline to a whole lot of other proposed ones out there that include the likes of signing Gardiner.

I'm too tired to reformulate my 'dream' blueline at the moment, but the measured version would be an Edler re-sign, perhaps a signing like Stralman, Tanev or a deal with a Cernak/Mayfield as the principal, and depending on Juolevi's readiness, I might move Stecher up the lineup to play with Edler in order to have a veteran D with Juolevi....  The dream big version would probably be a bigger deal than Tanev/Cernak/Mayfield, with a Ristolainen type (obviously depending on what prospect or pick has to be a principal in that deal).

I like a plan that involves an older veteran placeholder signing to limited term and maximum flexibility, while providing the youth in the lineup with enough veteran support/sheltering for them to thrive.  I also like the idea of retaining maximum flexibility because it is only likely to increase in value as the pressure and opportunities of an expansion draft approaches.

From what I’ve been hearing (rumours).. Edler has changed his stance and a 3 year deal 5-5.5 per with virtually no clauses and full exposure in the extortion draft, has returned to JB.  

I do like that,   given Edlers familiarity with this organization, and the fact he has never played for anyone else, and quite possibly his last contract, Alex is “paying it back” fairly,  he has done well here.. and hopefully still.. this gives him the opportunity to hoist the Cup, where ever that may be.   He is a good vet.

i would just love to see a more physical presence on our D to support a resurrection in his game, and not HAVE to play 20 mins a night with that weight on his shoulders.

He and Tanev have been targets for 3 years.. it’s a simple offensive strategy.

I still like Risto.   I too, like you,  like Bogosian.      Is Tanev and our 10th pick too much for Risto?   Bogozian?

I think it starts the phone calls back and forth..  

Risto was an 8th overall,  Tanev fills a hole for Buffalo in the short term, and they have the bodies to protect and compliment Tanevs true form we saw a couple of years back on one of the Team Canada’s.

id like to think that after this season, we aren’t warranted a lottery pick for where we place in this league,. Not for a decade at least :)

I think of Risto as I always looked at EKanes time there,.  Does not really want to be in Buffalo.

ps. Zaitsev might be having that same oppression in Toronto.

Heard that that Tryamkins agent was on 1040 .. very positive of Nik’s return,. But more than likely Feb 2020 after the regular KHL season.

6 hours ago, billabong said:

If it’s 3 years, benning gave in.

if it’s 2 years, edler TRULY wants to play here.

Or, just possibly, it's a little of both.  Which is how negotiations work - give a little, take a little or you get nowhere.

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Hopefully some one considers him an asset to trade for at the end of season.

Now how about Tanev and a 2nd rounder for Risto.

He's always deserved to retire a Canuck........after a massive hometown deal, it would be criminal to move him to a different team

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

And Edler has been here how many years and whom has he mentored?

... the point of my point in that quote is that there game requires very little mentoring..  perhaps 4 vets per team.

If you dont think Edler, who wears an A, hasn't mentored anyone who has come up through the system, you're high.

Tanev

Stetcher

Corrado while he was here...

Just to name a few.

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Exactly right.  Too bad Benning is so bad at negotiating contracts...

:picard:

It's not even the 3 year term without needing protection for the ED, 5-5.5 million is a friggin great deal. I personally would've been willing to give him far more money (for those who follow my posts would know).

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He's always deserved to retire a Canuck........after a massive hometown deal, it would be criminal to move him to a different team

Don’t get me wrong.. I would like to see Edler hoist the Cup.. one way or the other.

The ring of honour is nice.. but I’m sure champagne from The Holy Grail is better.

40 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

If you dont think Edler, who wears an A, hasn't mentored anyone who has come up through the system, you're high.

Tanev

Stetcher

Corrado while he was here...

Just to name a few.

I think Hamhuis was more “that” guy.

Both Tanev and Edler are quiet.. even on the ice.

Schenn seems to be more forthright in that role the short term he has had (so far) with us..

Gudbranson was more vocal..

The one’s that are more vocal ( and possibly physical) usually have that presence.

i don’t see it in Alex,. But his mentor Ohlund was,. Even Salo.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

My guess is that he'll have a no trade clause but not a no movement clause.  This would give him some protection but leaving it open for GM to protect other younger players.

[edit] - ah, now I see the AM 650 report of a modified NMC.

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Schenn seems to be more forthright in that role the short term he has had (so far) with us..

The one’s that are more vocal ( and possibly physical) usually have that presence.

Bruh, numerous young Canucks have flat out stated how important Edler has been to them in the room and on the ice.

You're flat out Mayor of Wrongville on this one. Guy's a huge leader in the club.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:51 PM, wai_lai416 said:

I dont want edler to be back hes a waste of roster spot cap space and plays in only 50-60% of the season every year anyways.

So pleased you are not part of the Vancouver Canuck management team.   :)

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Edler has been an influential player to Elias Pettersson, Troy Stecher, Chris Tanev, Ben Hutton, Erik Gudbranson. He’s a cornerstone. 

Archived