The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Jets trade Jacob Trouba to Rangers for Neal Pionk, 2019 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Again, I think there could have been a better deal available.  But what if that 20th is Seider?  Lavoie?  Hoglander?  Harley? Podzolkin (if he drops)

yeah - there will be good assets there- that the Jets could use to actually win this deal in the end - it's one of those highly contingent deals.

If Seider is available at 20, we shoulda jumped into the 19 spot.

I'd consider taking him at 10 - almost hope we do.

Overall he may be ranked in the 20 range, but I think that's under-rating where he'll go.  I'll be really surprised if he makes it to the 13/14 range - but you just never know.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

Does trouba = ghost (approximately)? 

Does hutton+10th = pionk+20th?

Talent-wise, maybe? But Trouba wanted out, whereas Ghost has not stipulated such.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

As I recall, he believes Risto is a tire fire of a Dman xD

I think Colin Miller should be our target.

that would be good, but the way the d market is changing i bet Vegas gets a lot for him, probably more that we should give up. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Interesting fallout:

The Isles were reportedly one of the frontrunners for Trouba - but few people in Long Island had an appetite for giving up Dobson to acquire Trouba.

Wondering if there's a potential Tanev deal there - RHD = Pulock, Tanev, Boychuk who is 35, (and Dobson).... with Mayfield coming the other way.

Funny you say that because I was just thinking about the possibility of adding Mayfield the other day. That would be an awesome pick up for us. I'd rather Pulock but I don't see any reason why the Islanders would trade him.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that would be good, but the way the d market is changing i bet Vegas gets a lot for him, probably more that we should give up. 

Until now Colin Miller's flown under the radar a bit, but with Karlsson resigning, Trouba being moved, and the increasing likelihood of Myers being resigned, Miller's name probably gets brought up a lot more now.

I'm sure there are still a number of guys flying under the radar that we're not considering, but it'll take someone smarter than me to dig up their names. 

• Upvote 3

And just like that, the Rangers move ahead of the Canucks in rebuilding in a shorter amount of time. PLUS they still have a bunch of really good prospects coming.

And they did it by not losing pending UFA's for nothing and trading some established players for young prospects but especially picks. Picks have been the currency in this league for a few years now and loading up allows a team to make deals like this.

Sigh.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

And just like that, the Rangers move ahead of the Canucks in rebuilding in a shorter amount of time. PLUS they still have a bunch of really good prospects coming.

And they did it by not losing pending UFA's for nothing and trading some established players for young prospects but especially picks. Picks have been the currency in this league for a few years now and loading up allows a team to make deals like this.

Sigh.

Go cheer for the Rangers then. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hmm..from pov of an outside observer(fan of neither) you'd almost think the league is pleased as punch watching key US markets continually exploit, rape & pillage the Cdn ones of their precious resources. Interesting...

it's funny

given your view of the world

that the raptors are champs

or is this just fake news ?

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Again, I think there could have been a better deal available.  But what if that 20th is Seider?  Lavoie?  Hoglander?  Harley? Podzolkin (if he drops)

Winnipeg isn't exactly asset poor here, nor are they at major risk of a cap crisis.  

Pionk might not have the immediate value of Trouba, but I don't think he is a slouch either.  Knowing he was going to be leaving Winnipeg meant moving him or risk diminished value.  So while better value may have been possible.  It's far from the bad deal some are making it out to be IMO

Agree with all but they are in a cap bind

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

They have 25 mil in cap space and Laine/Connor are going to take 15 of that. Then they have to sign another 8-9 players. Myers is still gone as a result

5 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Sigh.

And so you wanted JB to trade our #8 and Juolevi for a guy who stated he wants to play in the USA and wouldn't re-sign here next year? That makes alot of sense

smh

:frantic::wacko::picard:

7 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Sigh.

Ep40, QH,  BB and BH.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Until now Colin Miller's flown under the radar a bit, but with Karlsson resigning, Trouba being moved, and the increasing likelihood of Myers being resigned, Miller's name probably gets brought up a lot more now.

I'm sure there are still a number of guys flying under the radar that we're not considering, but it'll take someone smarter than me to dig up their names. 

They still can't afford Myers

Laine 8 mil

Connor 6 mil

25 mil in cap space and need to sign 8-9 players with around 10 mil

Myers is going to get 7....math won't work

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah - there will be good assets there- that the Jets could use to actually win this deal in the end - it's one of those highly contingent deals.

If Seider is available at 20, we shoulda jumped into the 19 spot.

I'd consider taking him at 10 - almost hope we do.

Overall he may be ranked in the 20 range, but I think that's under-rating where he'll go.  I'll be really surprised if he makes it to the 13/14 range - but you just never know.

I think Seider is entirely under the radar due to a lack of visibility and might be one of the best D available in the first round.  Winnipeg could very well do fine in this deal depending on who they draft/develop

2 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Agree with all but they are in a cap bind

They have 25 mil in cap space and Laine/Connor are going to take 15 of that. Then they have to sign another 8-9 players. Myers is still gone as a result

I'm still an outlier for Laine's next contract not being as large as some expect it to be.  I don't think he's getting an end all be all long term deal but a more modest deal based on his production

I could see both players being between the $6.5 to $8 million but sincerely doubt we see much more than $7 million for them long term unless they take shorter term higher cap deals

Just now, 18W-40C-6W said:

They still can't afford Myers

Laine 8 mil

Connor 6 mil

25 mil in cap space and need to sign 8-9 players with around 10 mil

Myers is going to get 7....math won't work

Is there anyone else they can move with a big salary? With Trouba and Myers gone their blueline, which has always been a strength for them, is going to take a massive hit. 

• Upvote 1

If they have a deal in place already to sign Trouba, this is a steal of a deal for the Rangers.

If they don’t, it is still not terrible as they didn’t pay close to what he is worth for the possibility of re-signing him next year.