The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Edler is back - 2 years - 6 million per season

6 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

This was not Edler folding for 2. This was the absolute best of a non ideal situation for him. He wasn't getting expansion protection anywhere, so what happens? He signs a 2 year deal. Plays one year here and then Seattle IF they pick him. Plus if they pick him, they can't trade him anywhere unless he waives. His family doesn't have to move and then after the year away, BOOM, re-signs a new deal with Vancouver.

Am I getting confused here? I thought there were 2 more seasons to be played out before expansion. Therefore he's a UFA right before the expansion.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Edler can't just give his minutes away to another player.

What do think they do? Are they sitting in the locker room before the game trading minutes with each other before the game like cards?

Green decides how much everyone plays, so if Benning restructures the defense by signing and/or trading for some legitimate top 4 defensemen, then Green will have that much more to work with and the ability to spread out the minutes.

Of course not.. but I'm sure if Grampa is a team player and understands the importance of  or lack thereof his role.. maybe he can  or should give them up...

8 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

This was not Edler folding for 2. This was the absolute best of a non ideal situation for him. He wasn't getting expansion protection anywhere, so what happens? He signs a 2 year deal. Plays one year here and then Seattle IF they pick him. Plus if they pick him, they can't trade him anywhere unless he waives. His family doesn't have to move and then after the year away, BOOM, re-signs a new deal with Vancouver.

The expansion draft occurs at the end of his 2 year contract (2021). As a UFA he will be exempt from the exp. draft.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Salaries go up every year. Most of the players who make similar money signed their contracts years ago or were signed while being a RFA. Not many players sign at respectable rates a week before UFA.

Another factor is guaranteed money, players can get hurt and their career is over in a blink of an eye. The ones like Clarkson, Savard and Pronger get paid throughout the deal on LTIR. I have no doubt in my mind that another team would have offered Alex 7x4 on the open market. Therefor Edler left 16 million dollars (28-12) of guaranteed money on the table. Even if he stays relatively healthy throughout these 2 seasons he likely won't be able to command over 5 on his next deal.  So let's say his next deal is 4x2 with the Canucks, that is an 8 million dollar hometown discount and huge favor to the Canucks as far as the expansion draft goes.

This contract has nothing close to do with market value and I'm sure JP "Slime Ball" Barry shed a tear when he signed it.

SPECULATION on your part on a guy who is injury prone and not getting any younger. He will continue to get paid what he is worth AFTER this contract. 

Your thought process is why salaries are getting out of hand again and will eventually lead to another lock out.

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

SPECULATION on your part on a guy who is injury prone and not getting any younger. He will continue to get paid what he is worth AFTER this contract. 

Your thought process is why salaries are getting out of hand again and will eventually lead to another lock out.

EdgarM be like...

the land of make believe wow GIF

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

The expansion draft occurs at the end of his 2 year contract (2021). As a UFA he will be exempt from the exp. draft.

It looks like I was mistaken. I thought it was end of this season. This must have been the exact term Eddie wanted then. Not whatever was reported. Whatever it takes to not be selected I guess.

• Cheers 1

So stoked. This guy is the quiet captain of the team, they will probably give to Horvat but this guy is just as much a leader on the team. He's dedicated his career to our city, taken big discounts, sacrificed his body for us. So happy to have him back, leading the charge and giving Hughes a great guy to look up to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This isn't a thought process, it's reality. There is also something in the CBA called a salary cap. No team can spend over it so no matter how big ufa contracts get it's always the same bottom line.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, mcchorvirt said:

This isn't a thought process, it's reality. There is also something in the CBA called a salary cap. No team can spend over it so no matter how big ufa contracts get it's always the same bottom line.

The problem is that players who are probably going to decline in production during the contract being discussed , puts a false value on their true worth. Hence why players get bought out such as Perry. Although Edler is probably worth the money now, if he signed a longer contract, we may have got stuck with an improperly assessed contract and we would have the problem of trying to get rid of him in 3,4 years.

Teams fall in the trap of paying too much for a player and hence messing it up for everyone else. Who knows how a player is going to perform in 7-8 years(See Chicago).

I think Edler 's contract is great as it allows to the team to continually pay him what he is worth no matter how long his career is.