The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Edler is back - 2 years - 6 million per season

3 hours ago, Borvat said:

There are differing opinions on Edlers rank in a solid defensive lineup (currently #1 for the Canucks) but he is definitely a loyal and good teammate. 

This is a win - win and sign of a good guy.  

Glad to see him back in Canucks colors.

Agree.....but I still wished he would have taken a trade at the deadline for a short-term season elsewhere with a new Canucks contract ready for the 2019-2020 season.  For the sake of a few months, he would have given Jim and the team a better chance of accelerating the rebuild.  Everyone would have known it was a short-term rental but there still would have been some decent offers.

• Thanks 1

I personally love how Toronto media keep asking via twisted stories and op-eds for Maple Leafs to take home team discounts and don’t get it. And now Edler shows just how it’s done, reminiscent of Sedins and Burrows with past contracts. Suck it Toronto! 

I hope it has a cascading effect on Brock, EP, and Hughes.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I personally love how Toronto media keep asking via twisted stories and op-eds for Maple Leafs to take home team discounts and don’t get it. And now Edler shows just how it’s done, reminiscent of Sedins and Burrows with past contracts. Suck it Toronto! 

I hope it has a cascading effect on Brock, EP, and Hughes.

On the way home, heard Price all incredulous, "Suddenly it seems everyone's interested in Zaitsev now, it's like he's not negative anymore but has real trade value."  Sekeres seemed to know why, but wouldn't come out and say it and betray his handlers.

Great signing 

hope all the losers that slam Edler night after night (we know who you are) take a good look at what a true team player looks like 

Edler is a beast and anyone who disagrees should look at our record and play when he has been out of the lineup 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Can't hold it against the guy for putting his family first though.  For all we know there's personal reasons where they really, really need him there.  Only on CDC is a guy who loves the team so much he refuses to leave and takes a discount to stay criticized.

Agree!

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Edler, Sedins and Burrows all had families and I suspect good stable partners.  Not a definitive factor, but likely a significant one. 

The bigger factor is probably this:  when you sign good people and surround them with other good people and staff, you create a work family environment that creates a sense of loyalty and desire to be together.....especially when everyone's working hard together.  This is why the interviews are so important in the draft and not taking a player based on playing ability alone.  The collective ability is not the sum of the parts.

Well said and something not easily quantifiable that I’ve brought up a few times as a strength of this management group.  They’re adding to the talent level but making sure the room stays solid.

JB’s best contracts so far are re-signings in Horvat and Edler.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Good value, Term and dollar are perfect looks like Eddie really does value being a Canuck and it should show people that it seems like Vancouver takes care of their guys pretty good.I like how it ends as Petey's ELC ends, Like other posters above have said, I believe this gives Benning room to move our D around a bit. Tanev/Hutton or both could be gone at draft.

Eddie put his money where his mouth is, and took less to stay in Vancouver.

So...if in 2 years we're missing the playoffs, and someone suggests making him waive the clause, they can shut the hell up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

:mellow:

Not sure if I am reading this correctly, but I agree!

This is an okay signing. Nothing to get excited about.  Two years for Eddie works.  I'd like to see him have reduced minutes now.  Especially if we land a FA defenseman. 

He chews up minutes. If that's the best compliment he can get then he still deserves what he got. But please, some are deifying him as sacrificing his potential earnings to be loyal to his colours. Maybe its also that he doesn't feel like moving his family, or dealing with whole new linemates, and hates uncertainty and is comfortable here.  Some greatly overvalue him, which sadly is what is almost expected when we don't have much in the stable. If the best compliment is that he chews up minutes, that says a lot.  I think he's kinda an average defenseman for his age.  He's never been physical, but now that he's 33, most D that age are not as physical anymore either. I think reduced minutes can only improve the quality of the time he is on the ice.  I hope that happens, (If we land another D). 

But its almost as if this is getting such a cheer in here mostly because Benning didn't screw it up, this time.  That Edler signed for what most agreed would be reasonable...2 years. An average player, who has size but rarely uses it, is slowing down (but that was never a part of his game anyways) but he's a veteran player with a lot of NHL experience, in different situations on the ice. That counts for something. So I'm good with 2 years.  Nothing to get excited about though.  He's now become a placeholder. I'm much more excited about watching Quinn develop and if Tram will return, or who we can possibly pick up on July 1st. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I'm much more excited about watching Quinn develop and if Tram will return, or who we can possibly pick up on July 1st. 

The only defenseman available as a UFA who is any use is Myers, who will be vastly overpaid.

Edited by King Heffy