The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

This coach is taking the opposite route the Vaxjo coach took for Pettersson.  Nature vs Nurture.  Vaxjo coddled Pettersson in the early going.  Gave him plenty of ice time as a top 6 forward and lots of PP time, the points were slow at first but they came. When he found his stride he was an unstoppable force.  That was Nurture.  This Russian coach is hard.  It’s painfully obvious Podkolzin has top 6 talent when he’s on the ice he oozes elite skill. It’s 4 games in and he’s not been able to recognize this?  Or is it just stubbornness and an unwillingness to change ones ways. For ....reasons. ???  The coach at this point is cutting his nose to spite his face.  

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

everyone thinking he should break his contract so he can come to NA.  He's paying his dues, that's not a bad thing.

It's a bit hypocritical for sure. 

When Podz doesn't play people immediately think it's a motivation for him to get out of his contract.

Yet when a guy like Dahlen doesn't play in the NHL and is moved out of the organization he's given a hard time by some people for not keeping quiet, taking the minutes he was given in Utica, and earning the rest. 

Big picture, I agree completely - give 100% with any minutes you're played, pay your dues, contribute when/where you can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

It's a bit hypocritical for sure. 

When Podz doesn't play people immediately think it's a motivation for him to get out of his contract.

Yet when a guy like Dahlen doesn't play in the NHL and is moved out of the organization he's given a hard time by some people for not keeping quiet, taking the minutes he was given in Utica, and earning the rest. 

Big picture, I agree completely - give 100% with any minutes you're played, pay your dues, contribute when/where you can. 

Podz is Captain quality character.  He's not running like Dhalen.  

• Haha 1

Podkolzin sure seems focused on playing in the NHL one day, and my guess is he'll work really hard to get there, and stay. This made me think of Goldobin as well, with him saying that it's still his goal to play in the NHL (for VAN). He's also not giving up and bolting back to Russia (not yet anyway). I really hope things work out for Goldy this year,. He's got a lot of skill and potential. Would love to have Goldobin and Podkolzin both going full boar in a couple of years. 

16 hours ago, stawns said:

It's odd for a teenager to get minimal ice time in a top 5 men's pro League to start his career?

The point is he is not getting minimal ice time.

40 seconds in his last game.

Is 40 seconds sufficient to you for development?

you stated earlier that you think people are “panicking” about this?

Its a discussion Stawnzy..  the off season is nearly over,  its kinda late to start trolling.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The point is he is not getting minimal ice time.

40 seconds in his last game.

Is 40 seconds sufficient to you for development?

If this lasts it likely won't be good for his overall development - that's true.

On a positive though, he's still practicing, training, and traveling with professionals and hopefully learning some of the things that go along with pro-hockey lifestyle.    There are several guys on that KHL team with considerable NHL experience (Yakupov/Lehtera/Rundblad for example) that would be able to relate their experiences whether it be good or bad hopefully.  Looking at it from the point of view of SKA management/coaching staff - what motivation would they have to invest considerable time/resources into specifically developing this player knowing full well he's 99.9% gone as soon as his contract there expires?  As a Canucks fan that sucks to know that Podz isn't anywhere near SKA's top priority as far as prospect-development goes, but that's the situation right now unfortunately.  They're a perennial elite team in the KHL - rookies are not typically playing heavy minutes for their team regardless of who/when they were drafted by sadly.  Yes, I know 40sec is a bit ridiculous but you got to start somewhere, right?

If the kid is as good as we all hope he is he'll maximize his limited ice-time and earn more - that's what I'm hoping for. 

• Upvote 1