The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

18 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Yup. I just think our fans might be disappointed. It doesn't mean he won't be a strong contributor - I have no doubt he will be, but I just don't think he will put up the lofty numbers people are hoping for. His strengths may somewhat lie elsewhere.

I'm the biggest supporter of Podz and I do think he'll be a significant point producer as soon as this coming year... But that's not what I'm most excited about.  He just has the 'it' factor.  Character... Real character isn't talked or valued enough in sport or life for that matter.  For example, Brady has never had the stronger arm, agile mover etc... He just knows how to win, with grit, IQ, respect from his teammates because of his unwavering command of himself and confidence of his abilities... That all his teammates will do whatever he asks because they believe in him with their whole being.  They know they are in the presents if greatness.

Podz has that 'it factor.  He's very young but he has it.  He will never be the fastest skater, possess the hardest shot, moat skilled or the biggest, toughest guy... With the superior IQ.  It's that thing that can't be quantified.  And he's on our team.  With him, I believe we have the best chance at the cup since and even more so than 2011.  Just sayin'... Lol!;)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I'm the biggest supporter of Podz and I do think he'll be a significant point producer as soon as this coming year... But that's not what I'm most excited about.  He just has the 'it' factor.  Character... Real character isn't talked or valued enough in sport or life for that matter.  For example, Brady has never had the stronger arm, agile mover etc... He just knows how to win, with grit, IQ, respect from his teammates because of his unwavering command of himself and confidence of his abilities... That all his teammates will do whatever he asks because they believe in him with their whole being.  They know they are in the presents if greatness.

Podz has that 'it factor.  He's very young but he has it.  He will never be the fastest skater, possess the hardest shot, moat skilled or the biggest, toughest guy... With the superior IQ.  It's that thing that can't be quantified.  And he's on our team.  With him, I believe we have the best chance at the cup since and even more so than 2011.  Just sayin'... Lol!;)

I agree with most of this (just can't give you 100%) but will add this might be that guy that is built for a playoff run, that picture of him that's a set of mitts and wrists, I used to kind of dislike guys like that to play against especially if they had a mean streak.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2022 at 12:56 PM, Hogs & Podz said:

As a Canuck, Podz will skate around our rink with The Stanley Cup, and deserve to do so.

Edited by Goal:thecup
NUCKER67 suggested, "As a Canuck".
  • Vintage 1

I personally like Podz on a line with Petey because he brings that intimidating aspect, which deters opponents from taking cheap shots. 

That in itself is awesome because he just turned 21 in June. Wait until this kid gets a few years under his belt. 

• Like 1

Corey Pronman at The Athletic says Podkolzin's skating is below NHL average and is the only real issue in his game. Is his skating really that bad? I know his stride isn't the prettiest, but I watched all the games last season and never thought he was particularly slow. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Corey Pronman at The Athletic says Podkolzin's skating is below NHL average and is the only real issue in his game. Is his skating really that bad? I know his stride isn't the prettiest, but I watched all the games last season and never thought he was particularly slow. 

I agree. Never saw an issue with his skating. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I agree. Never saw an issue with his skating. 

Nor I. He may not stand out as a speedster, but he is always involved so he has enough speed to get to where he needs to be if nothing else.

Maybe the fact he reads the play so well and has such a motor that he's a couple strides to the destination before anyone else even starts moving. That's the only thing I can think of that could explain why perhaps he's not as quick as we think he is.

15 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I personally like Podz on a line with Petey because he brings that intimidating aspect, which deters opponents from taking cheap shots. 

That in itself is awesome because he just turned 21 in June. Wait until this kid gets a few years under his belt. 

I really hope he can become our version of Dustin Brown. He has all the tools for it and seems to be growing in that direction. If he does become that I think it could be the ideal complementary player for Petey with a sniper on the other wing (maybe Boeser or if development goes as planned Lekkerimaki).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I really hope he can become our version of Dustin Brown. He has all the tools for it and seems to be growing in that direction. If he does become that I think it could be the ideal complementary player for Petey with a sniper on the other wing (maybe Boeser or if development goes as planned Lekkerimaki).

Maybe less dirty though.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Maybe less dirty though.

Dirty, dirty, Dustin Brown, dirtiest man in the whole damn town.

Dirtier than Ol' King Kong, dirtier'n a junkyard dog.

But seriously, Podz can be better than Dusty, just stay the course; keep learnin' and practisin' and livin' right and workin' out.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Dirty, dirty, Dustin Brown, dirtiest man in the whole damn town.

Dirtier than Ol' King Kong, dirtier'n a junkyard dog.

But seriously, Podz can be better than Dusty, just stay the course; keep learnin' and practisin' and livin' right and workin' out.

Agreed!

I think Podz will end up being a comparable to Iggy when all is said and done.  Maybe not quite as skilled?  Or quite as many points but the leadership, toughness, great sportsmanship and character will be on or above Iggy's level.  Notice I use Iggy compared to 'the Mess'... 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

By chance,  just ran into Podz and Kuz out for a stroll in the city tonight.

both looking happy and in great shape.

Im excited that Vasily is not the only Russian player on the team this year,

I think the moves to bring Mihky, and AK here will pay dividends for each.

Wow!  Did you talk with them?   

Edited by Hogs & Podz