The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Take away from the first pre-season game:

how do you put a ceiling on this?

The 21-year-old Russian led the Canucks in their 3-2 overtime loss to the Calgary Flames at Rogers Arena with one goal, five hits, four shots on net and 20:40 of ice time — greater than anything he logged during 79 games in his up-and-down rookie season.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The 21-year-old Russian led the Canucks in their 3-2 overtime loss to the Calgary Flames at Rogers Arena with one goal, five hits, four shots on net and 20:40 of ice time — greater than anything he logged during 79 games in his up-and-down rookie season.

As great as the TOI is, we shouldn't be surprised that he's being relied on heavily in the pre-season. The really test will be if he can earn Boudreau's trust to get nearly as much time when the real games start midway through October.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

As great as the TOI is, we shouldn't be surprised that he's being relied on heavily in the pre-season. The really test will be if he can earn Boudreau's trust to get nearly as much time when the real games start midway through October.

As long as he continues to maintain the level of play from the end of last season into this year, I believe trust won't be an issue. 

This kid's a Monster! 

Plus, he's only going to get better. Lucky us!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 12:14 PM, -DLC- said:

Hard to imagine that he's already playing at the level he is. (I still remember this moment like it was yesterday...was so happy to attend a draft)

People who say our cupboard is bare don't factor in that at least 4-5 of our draft picks from the past 5 years are already in the line up and performing at a pretty high level. Matters.

image.png

Haha yeah - people just need stuff to complain about.

"We have nothing the pipeline!"

"Psst - you realize that's because they're busy winning Calders and stuff, right?"

"OK well...we don't have one guy on the team that spent time in the AHL!"

"Demko seems to be doing pretty good, he'll probably be on the team again this year"

"You know what I mean, I mean we don't have one skater that was in the AHL"

"I don't know what you mean, Demko knows how to skate"

Edited by Putgolzin
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This could be his first solid year of progression,   And I can’t think of a better Coach for him to have.

Its hard not to think he could be a .7 ppg player this season.  A .5 easy ,. A .6 yes..

Just wow.

The Hockey Gods are answering our rain check on Krutov perhaps ;) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Proud Classic Tv GIF by Sony Pictures Television

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Seems like Podkolzin is on the 4th line. Has his recent play warranted his usage (or lack thereof)?

I haven't watched all the games, but from the bit I've seen he has been a little bit more lacklustre this year.

• Thanks 1

A few days ago someone said here that Podz needs to play with better linemates.  I don't agree 

I think there's a little bit of "hero-worship" in him; in that he'll often make an intercepted pass to Petey, Kuznetsov or JT where a shot would have been the better option.   He's got a great shot and needs to defer to no-one. 

Putting him with gritty, puck-retrieving linemates means that he's the sniper on the line and will be counted on to take the shot - maybe that's Bruce's plan?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Googlie said:

A few days ago someone said here that Podz needs to play with better linemates.  I don't agree 

I think there's a little bit of "hero-worship" in him; in that he'll often make an intercepted pass to Petey, Kuznetsov or JT where a shot would have been the better option.   He's got a great shot and needs to defer to no-one. 

Putting him with gritty, puck-retrieving linemates means that he's the sniper on the line and will be counted on to take the shot - maybe that's Bruce's plan?

Completely agree with this.

Eventually, we want to see is if Podz can drive his own line. Playing with Petey, Miller, or Horvat, that will not happen as Podz will just look to facilitate plays rather than driving the play.

Playing with Aman and Joshua? He will need to learn to drive the line and when he does, that's when he will be promoted up the lineup.

I think playing in the bottom 6 is the right way to develop him.

7 hours ago, jyu said:

Completely agree with this.

Eventually, we want to see is if Podz can drive his own line. Playing with Petey, Miller, or Horvat, that will not happen as Podz will just look to facilitate plays rather than driving the play.

Playing with Aman and Joshua? He will need to learn to drive the line and when he does, that's when he will be promoted up the lineup.

I think playing in the bottom 6 is the right way to develop him.

Absolutely agree with you. Pushing this kid into the top 6 doesn't help his overall development. Hogs, no dif. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

Best wishes to Podz on a gritty response to the thug, Greer.

I hope some Canuck will take appropriate measures to avenge this.

However, since management has not filled the role of defender for the team, it is not likely to happen. The usual bs from what is basically a soft team. Frankly, I’m sick of it.

• There it is 1