The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Pulling on a Russian sweater at this time says something. Not a good thing IMHO. Sports washing? That said I don't know Podz's thinking or influences.  

You may be right, but it just doesn't feel like, he is the type, although you never know.

He is Russian after all... not sure tbh.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, spook007 said:

You may be right, but it just doesn't feel like, he is the type, although you never know.

He is Russian after all... not sure tbh.

I thought he left a good impression after his first season. Seems like a good hard working kid. I like to worry. :)

• Cheers 2

When I see Podkolzin I see a Horvat on the right side.  And the stats as a rookie are very comparable to Horvats. 

Bo 13 goals 25 points 

Po 14 goals 26 points. 

I think he’s going to get 20 goals next year maybe more if he’s playing with Kuzmenko. 

27 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

When I see Podkolzin I see a Horvat on the right side.  And the stats as a rookie are very comparable to Horvats. 

Bo 13 goals 25 points 

Po 14 goals 26 points. 

I think he’s going to get 20 goals next year maybe more if he’s playing with Kuzmenko. 

I think Horvat was probably a step ahead offensively, as he did it in fewer games (68 games vs 79 games) and league scoring was also lower back when Horvat did it in 2014-15. Regardless, I do think Podz has about the same offensive potential as Bo and we could see him become a 50-60 point guy with 70-point potential.

• Cheers 1

On 6/14/2022 at 12:36 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's got all the potential to have a massive break-out season. I think 20 goals is expected but if the rate of scoring stays high next year and he remains in our top-6 alongside Bo for most of the year, you never know...if guys like Mangiapane can score 30 then Podz can easily hit that as early as next year.

I'm sure he'll move up and down the lineup due to inconsistency, but a lot of us (and I'm sure the coaches do too) have him pencilled in for 2nd line winger spot right now, probably alongside Bo and Pearson to make up a pretty well-rounded, heavy line.

He's not hitting 30 next year and you're criminally underrating Magniapane.

Let's hope he can be a consistent secondary scorer first before juicing our expectations of this guy

• Vintage 1

On 6/27/2022 at 12:39 AM, .Naslund said:

He obviously has family and friends in Russia, is he supposed to just spend the summer in Vancouver so as to not offend us?  It's not like EVERY SINGLE Russian is pro Putin/pro war.  That's like saying every Canadian ultimately supported the way indigenous people were treated by our government back in the day. 

Anyways, hope he's enjoying his summer and looking forward to seeing his progress next year. 

All Canadians love beer.  Can’t really see you being a real Canadian if you don’t love beer.   Same logic. Lol

On 6/20/2022 at 8:48 AM, JM_ said:

I'm not sure thats true in this case, it sounds like its just a summer league to stay in shape. 

I believe it's a tourney within Russia.  Why shouldn't he get out there and play some hockey and entertain the

Russian people during this horrible time?

Even if it were a larger tourney including other nations (which is not likely), I wouldn't judge him if he played. We have

no idea what's going on in that country.  It is quite possible that refusing to join a national Russian team would be

considered as an active protest against (specifically) Putin and would have serious consequences.

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I believe it's a tourney within Russia.  Why shouldn't he get out there and play some hockey and entertain the

Russian people during this horrible time?

Even if it were a larger tourney including other nations (which is not likely), I wouldn't judge him if he played. We have

no idea what's going on in that country.  It is quite possible that refusing to join a national Russian team would be

considered as an active protest against (specifically) Putin and would have serious consequences.

that could all be true, I just think the kid wants to be on the ice and stay in shape. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interview with Podkolzin (highlights translated by Canucks Army): https://canucksarmy.com/2022/07/26/vasily-podkolzin-j-t-miller-leader-elias-pettersson-different-level-bruce-boudreau-great-coach/

Full original article: https://m.sport-express.ru/hockey/nhl/reviews/hokkey-vasiliy-podkolzin-napadayuschiy-vankuvera-intervyu-o-debyutnom-sezone-v-nhl-1953644/amp/

Google translate to English (full article): link

Whether in English, or in Russian (and translated), Podkolzin remains one of the best quotes on the Canucks.

His interviews are always a great read and he’s very open and forthcoming, which is quite refreshing. 

Lots of great quotes in the article, but I really enjoyed the part where Podkolzin talks about how, if Miller or Pettersson had been on the ice for the McNabb hit, they would have stepped up the way OEL did.

The interviewer seems legitimately surprised to hear Pod say this about Petey, who’s obviously no heavyweight, to which Pod replies:

“That's what he looks like. In fact, [Pettersson is] a very strong guy who will never back down.”

I’m not sure I’d ever expect to see Petey going toe-to-toe with a guy who just levelled a teammate, or if I even want him fighting in that situation (or any), but I’m glad Podkolzin feels that way about Pettersson.

It speaks to their relationship (and the overall team dynamic) that Pod doubled-down on the assertion that Petey would always have his back in such a situation.

Also nice to read how excited Podkolzin is about his incoming Russian teammates and how he intends to help them with the transition, having just gone through it himself, and learned quite a bit from the experience.

Podkolzin is such a young guy, and still finding his way in the NHL, but you can tell from how he speaks, about his teammates and himself, just how much of a character and team guy he is, and how he’s likely to take on responsibilities and grow into a leadership role, while also progressing and improving as an individual player.

Pettersson may not be a heavy weight, but he is one of the most determined players I've watched in a good while. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get rough with a player to defend a teammate. He strikes me as the kind of guy who would be fiercely loyal to his friends.

• Cheers 1