The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

On 3/13/2021 at 6:27 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

Kirill Kaprizov with a hat trick in yesterday's game against the Arizona Coyotes, especially his third goal was a beauty, buried a one timer home. Checked out at what draft pick he was selected by the Wild and couldn't believe that he was a 135 overall pick /(5th round) for the Wild. Wild hit gold with this pick. His stats in the KHL are very impressive. His first appearance was back in the season 2014-2015. Last two seasons with ZSKA Moskau he scored 30 goals and 33 goals respectively.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/265645/kirill-kaprizov

What player in the later rounds Jim had drafted during his tenure turned out to be such a beauty? Jim's draft record isn't as good as many fans believe. Just saying...

^ From the draft thread... See my response there

21 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Can Podz skate like Kirill Kaprizov?

Can Podz shoot like Kirill Kaprizov?

Okay we get it. You like the newest hottest rookie of the year. I guess Boeser, Hughes, Petey wasn't enough.

Can KK lead his team and play on the PK like VP?

Did KK play for the WJ team at 18 and wear a letter the following two years?

Did he play in the KHL at 19?

Is KK gonna play at 6'2" 200lbs?

The player I'd be comparing him to on our roster is Hoglander: both small, skilled playmakers with great hands. But it feels like you're just here trying to push some buttons.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

^ From the draft thread... See my response there

Okay we get it. You like the newest hottest rookie of the year. I guess Boeser, Hughes, Petey wasn't enough.

Can KK lead his team and play on the PK like VP?

Did KK play for the WJ team at 18 and wear a letter the following two years?

Did he play in the KHL at 19?

Is KK gonna play at 6'2" 200lbs?

The player I'd be comparing him to on our roster is Hoglander: both small, skilled playmakers with great hands. But it feels like you're just here trying to push some buttons.

Yes like how we have such good rookies the last 4 hers now..Boeser - Petey - Hughes -- 2021 Hoglander playing so good  but will not be in top 3 rookie race .

Next season we will have  few rookies in race, Podkolzin, Rathbone, Juolevi a few more guys will get NHL games, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek...

• Cheers 1

KK is 24 in April, I don't even understand how he is considered a Rookie. Boeser is 2 months older then him who is in his 5th season in the NHL and played a few years in College after being drafted to give you an idea how old KK is.

Edited by thrago

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Just checking Tyler Maddens, 21, 5'11,  stats with L.A Kings farm team Ontario GP 12 - PTS 4

But but but... Madden was too high of a price to pay for Toffoli! FIRE BENNING !!!!! /sar

I have nothing against Madden, but he CLEARLY was a redundant piece for the Canucks. Where was Madden going to fit on our roster? (Question wasn't meant to be directed at you).

People, you have to give to get something. Madden was the price for a rental Toffoli. And if Madden doesn't pan out for the Kings (too early to say this), guess what? Both sides possibly lost (long term wise).

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2

On 3/13/2021 at 11:07 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

Can Podz skate like Kirill Kaprizov?

Can Podz shoot like Kirill Kaprizov?

Can Kirill Kaprizov Podz like Podkolzin? Their game is not really comparable it's like saying can Bertuzzi shoot like Naslund neither can perform each others strengths. 

To be fail Kirill is a fantastic prospect. No need to be Jelous. Podkolzin is 19 years old Kirill is 23. Things to consider? I have always been a wild fan (best logo in the league next to Detroit) so good for them. What a steal of a 5th round pick 5 years later nobody expected it. 

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Don't be so quick to write the kid off I'm sure he will have a fantastic AHL career. :bigblush:

Not writing the young player off..I think he will have a fine NHL career  he is only 21.... Simple posting he only played 12 games...

2022-23 bet he plays in NHL...

SKA (2nd place in West) is going to play Dinamo, Moscow (3rd place) in the second round of playoffs. Both teams beat their opponents with the same score 4-1 in the first round. Interesting to note that SKA lost all four regular season games to Dinamo. Should be fun series. Games are scheduled for March 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 3/13/2021 at 1:48 PM, higgyfan said:

I don't see Podz being a huge goal scorer, but will likely have a lot of assists.  I don't know about Kapri's skating, but Podz is a great skater and can weave around pretty much anyone; or if he has to, he'll just crash through them.

Podz is projected to be a power forward that is ugly to play against.  His puck possession stats will be outstanding.  He has the potential to become the kind of player every team wants to have in their lineup when the playoffs come along.

These two paragraphs are dead on. Though in order to get those assists, he will need to be put with good players and I'm still wary of pegging him as a top 6 player at this point. With that said, I feel he will be elite level 3rd line material at worst and he does have the raw tools to be more... in a Burrowesque manner.

• Upvote 1

Labeling Podz as a “great skater” is a touch over the top. He comes here and blows us away with his skating I’ll gladly eat those words. Because he has displayed a willingness and ability to bull his way to the net doesn’t mean his skating could use a fair bit of work. That said, can’t wait till he gets here because this team needs what this kid provides...that sandpaper/skill combo.

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Labeling Podz as a “great skater” is a touch over the top. He comes here and blows us away with his skating I’ll gladly eat those words. Because he has displayed a willingness and ability to bull his way to the net doesn’t mean his skating could use a fair bit of work. That said, can’t wait till he gets here because this team needs what this kid provides...that sandpaper/skill combo.

From what I've seen of him, I'd call him a strong skater, hard to stop or get off the puck. I think he has a solid top end speed, might not be the fastest out of the gates. I would place him roughly on par with where Horvat is now, which will be fine in the NHL.

More than his foot speed, is his tenacity and relentless pursuit of the puck, he's like Hoglander, but bigger. 

• Cheers 4

39 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

From what I've seen of him, I'd call him a strong skater, hard to stop or get off the puck. I think he has a solid top end speed, might not be the fastest out of the gates. I would place him roughly on par with where Horvat is now, which will be fine in the NHL.

More than his foot speed, is his tenacity and relentless pursuit of the puck, he's like Hoglander, but bigger

Poglander 

• Haha 4