The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly!

Miller is 26 years old. If we're still struggling in 2 years, he can easily be flipped for a 1st at the deadline. Teams covet players like Miller.

When were struggling in two years it’ll be because player like Miller didn’t work out (softer eriksdone.....long list here) nobody’s paying a first for a 28 year old third liner. 

And we get to watch TB stand up and pick a player in the top ten. While still being a cup contending team. 

Stupid move by a bad gm. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This deals screams to me that it's Playoffs or the boot for Benning next year, which doesn't make much sense given the Podkolzin pick and his timeline. 

Interesting take. Curious as to who you would have drafted at #10 that would have helped the Canucks this year.

• Haha 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

The Leafs just gave up a 1st to dump a year of Marleau's contract for comparisons sake.

We got 26 year old with 4 more years on his contract at a good cap hit.

This fear that we're gonna be a lottery team forever needs to stop. I'm getting excited for the first time in a long time that this team is rising out of the ashes.

I also feel that at one point, u have to jump...u can't keep going slow and steady. Is it a risk? Absolutely but we can't just keep going at this slow rate. Clearly Benning sees an opportunity and took it. 

• Upvote 1

Well let’s say JT Miller single handedly drags us to the playoffs:

His history shows we can expect a goal from him every second playoff run... sorry I thought JB was trying to build a Stanley Cup contender not a team that squeaks into the playoffs... at least I am pretty sure he’s said that a few times and is why I have been patient with everything he’s done up until now. 

I guess that’s not the case anymore.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

If we needed to get rid of Horvat because of cap space, we probably wouldn't get a first round pick from a $&!#ty team. And Horvat is a better (and younger) player than Miller. 

Only 2 years younger and JT Miller put up 47 points playing 15 minutes a game on the 3rd line Bo put up 61 on the 1st/2nd line avg 20:05 a game. They're not as far off as you think. 

Also we would either get a 1st++ for Bo or not trade him. Stop the stupidity, honestly. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The Leafs just gave up a 1st to dump a year of Marleau's contract for comparisons sake.

This fear that we're gonna be a lottery team forever needs to stop. I'm getting excited for the first time in a long time that this team is rising out of the ashes.

This. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Tricky one. I'm not happy about the trade because we could have found 15-20 goals and 40-50 points easily in the free agency market. Yes, Miller will actually cost us less cap-wise than splashing out in free agency but that 1st rounder hurts.

JB is taking a big risk here, hence the condition. If we don't make the playoffs next season that pick is quite decent and he's assuming we'll be well off. Assuming we do make the playoffs, JB is guessing that we'll be continually getting better and hopefully that 1st rounder will be a 20-31st overall pick. This upcoming season really can go either way I think, and it looks like JB is going to spend to push this team into the playoffs.

From a fan's standpoint of course we want to see the team win, from a more intelligent patient standpoint I'd rather we develop slowly through the draft with picks that rush into forcing the playoffs, however I think JB has a point - losing is contagious. Teams like the Oilers who burn out their young stars on a nightly basis by getting slaughtered just keep grooming that losing culture, and JB clearly doesn't want that to happen to his young players anymore, especially Pettersson. Boeser and Horvat have experienced years of disappointment, last year we made a big step in the right direction but I think with Hughes and Juolevi coming up soon, I don't think JB wants the entire young core to get battered on a nightly basis. He wants them to experience some consistent wins and hopefully the playoffs and I think you have to spend for that.

If I were JB I wouldn't have done this trade many times over but with his drafting and this trade it's clear he wants more grit, he wants more fight and he wants more offence. J.T Miller is a tough forward who battles hard and that's something we saw the Blues and Bruins do right the way through the playoffs. It doesn't come up in the points tallies but Miller is a tough player and having these guys to complement our skilled forwards is exactly what we need.

To be fair, the 1st is a big ask but I think Miller was a target JB has had for a while and he will really complement our current players well. I think for now the forward group is more or less set, might be nice to add a UFA on defence though and wouldn't be surprised if we see a Sutter/Eriksson trade now (and hopefully recoup a 1st or at least a 2nd or decent prospect).

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

ZOMG we traded a first rounder!!11!!1!

calm down people.  It’s like everyone expects us to be bad forever and continue to draft near the beginning of the first round.  You do realize that if you take ten years to “build through the draft” you end up losing the guys you drafted first when they hit free agency/command big dollar deals?

some of you need to go cheer for the Oilers.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Are you seriously compare Toronto situation to Vancouver ? Miller good player, good contract, but we can have same player for 2mln plus like you said, again, 2mln not cost 1,3 and a player.

And if people disagreed or have another opinion its not a crybaby , just different views LOL 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Specz said:

On one hand, losing a 1st in 2020/2021 really sucks. But on the other, if we aren't playoff ready by 2021 then something must be have been SERIOUSLY wrong with this rebuild. I understand the logic, but I'm worried because of how quickly things can change in the NHL. All I have to say is, if we are wrong with this gamble (Which it very clearly is), another GM will have to do the very difficult thing of retooling the core (Which NONE of us want to see). JB, for all our sakes, we really hope this pays off.

Overreact much? Retooling the core if we miss in 2021? Petey will be what 24? Boeser 25? Bo 26? Hughes 24?

Drrr

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Next year's draft is supposed to be great too, and best case scenario we won't have a pick.

Imagine not having a pick in 2015 with guys like Chabot / Boeser / Barzal / exc. available. Could be starting that down next year.

Would've made so much more sense if they had jumped on Marleau. 

Crazy idea, but maybe we'll draft a star in the 2nd or 3rd round!

Look at cup winners roster and you'll see you don't build a team on 1st rounders alone. Somewhere along the lines good teams make trades like this to help their teams take another step forward.

• Cheers 1