The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Leafs just gave up a 1st to dump a year of Marleau's contract for comparisons sake.

We got 26 year old with 4 more years on his contract at a good cap hit.

This fear that we're gonna be a lottery team forever needs to stop. I'm getting excited for the first time in a long time that this team is rising out of the ashes.

Leafs situation and our situation are completely different. 

I really like this move simply based on the player JT Miller is. He is a versatile forward who will deepen our forward group. He can get in on the forecheck, retrieve pucks, kill penalties, score, take faceoffs. Perhaps this move is a precursor for someone else from our roster being moved? In any case, I think it makes us better on paper for next season and will help round out our forward group nicely.

I can't wait for Miller to have a fantastic year in a Canucks uni and hope this market embraces him!

I also do not think we will make the playoffs next season based on how strong the west is, so I doubt that conditional 1st will even come into play and perhaps Benning was hedging his bets in this regard when finalizing the deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Pearson

Miller is 6'1" 218 and will look after Petey and can score.  No more body slams by the likes of Matheson. 

Oh right, the league fears Tj Miller..... it is known

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Tricky one. I'm not happy about the trade because we could have found 15-20 goals and 40-50 points easily in the free agency market. Yes, Miller will actually cost us less cap-wise than splashing out in free agency but that 1st rounder hurts.

JB is taking a big risk here, hence the condition. If we don't make the playoffs next season that pick is quite decent and he's assuming we'll be well off. Assuming we do make the playoffs, JB is guessing that we'll be continually getting better and hopefully that 1st rounder will be a 20-31st overall pick. This upcoming season really can go either way I think, and it looks like JB is going to spend to push this team into the playoffs.

From a fan's standpoint of course we want to see the team win, from a more intelligent patient standpoint I'd rather we develop slowly through the draft with picks that rush into forcing the playoffs, however I think JB has a point - losing is contagious. Teams like the Oilers who burn out their young stars on a nightly basis by getting slaughtered just keep grooming that losing culture, and JB clearly doesn't want that to happen to his young players anymore, especially Pettersson. Boeser and Horvat have experienced years of disappointment, last year we made a big step in the right direction but I think with Hughes and Juolevi coming up soon, I don't think JB wants the entire young core to get battered on a nightly basis. He wants them to experience some consistent wins and hopefully the playoffs and I think you have to spend for that.

If I were JB I wouldn't have done this trade many times over but with his drafting and this trade it's clear he wants more grit, he wants more fight and he wants more offence. J.T Miller is a tough forward who battles hard and that's something we saw the Blues and Bruins do right the way through the playoffs. It doesn't come up in the points tallies but Miller is a tough player and having these guys to complement our skilled forwards is exactly what we need.

To be fair, the 1st is a big ask but I think Miller was a target JB has had for a while and he will really complement our current players well. I think for now the forward group is more or less set, might be nice to add a UFA on defence though and wouldn't be surprised if we see a Sutter/Eriksson trade now (and hopefully recoup a 1st or at least a 2nd or decent prospect).

Kevin freakin Hayes just signed for 7mil per after ONE 50 point season. I'll take Miller @5.25 mil per all day over a player like Hayes. 

• Cheers 1

Well if Miller meshes well with Petey and Bo and horvat, the trade could look great for us later.

its just scary for us fans trading a first that have been draft junkies and drinking the patience koolaid. At least we have the condition for lottery protection next year.

hypothetically millers numbers should rise in an elevated role on our team. He did look very good in Tampa.

he does offer a physical / dirty work element that Petey and Boeser need.

Miller-EP40-Boeser 

Could be a very good combo.

miller has the size the tenacity and will retrieve pucks, make space and go hard to the net for them. 

He he also can slot in to C when we have injuries or run with Horvat to change it up in certain games / matchups.

if he ends up being a 50+ point guy for us over the term of the deal he will look like a big time steal compared to guys like Hayes and I guess we will win the trade so let’s hope for the best!

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Have you watched him play? 6'1 218 is Mason Raymond? Going to the net hard, making life difficult is Mayson Raymond?

Your lack of knowledge on this player clearly explains your soiled pampers all over this thread

Right because he was 218 when the comparable was made at the draft.

1 minute ago, Specz said:

What will we be paying them? How close will we be to the cap once their salaries are accounted for? Demko? How much cap do we have left to pay Podkolzin? Hoglander? Moves will have to be made man. I'm trying to think this through, don't think I'm overreacting.

Ya the Canucks are too stupid to think about these issues bro, they just think in a vacuum. Maybe you should call up JB and tell him about the salary cap, he probably hasn't heard of it. SMH

I hate giving up a first because I think we still need to fill two more spots before we can contend for playoffs. But we had to improve our top 6 as EP, Boeser, Horvat, Pearson just is not enough. JT Miller is only 26 and he compliments the forward group. I'd say we need one more player other than JT on the top 6 to build a playoff caliber forward group.

We also need to improve our defence. Having Hughes as QB, we know we are going to get points on the powerplay. Edler-Tanev pairing (when healthy) will help with goals against. 

Miller-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-X

Virtanen-Sutter-Gaud

Motte-Beagle-Roussel

Edler-Tanev

Hughes-X

Hutton-Stecher

Who will be Hughes partner? And we need a legitimate top 6 forward on Horvat's wing. 

There are three options in the UFA market: Myers, Panarin, and Duchene. Mayers will be overpaid like 7.5 mil but JB will have to do it. Panarin will get Patrick Kane money (10-10.5) and Duchene probably Mark Stone/Jeff Skinner money (9-9.5 mil). 

Failing to fill these two holes, I don't think the Canucks will make the playoffs unless Markstrom/Demko gives .920+ save percentage and Petey and Boeser takes leap beyond expectation (like 100 points and 40 goals).

Just now, StealthNuck said:

It's fun to go through this thread chronologically. 

Pages 1-5: Great pickup, love the guy, fits in well as. Hopefully didn't give up a 2nd round pick. 

Pages 6-8: Still good. As long as it's not a 1st round pick Benning will be our God-Emperor.

Pages 8-Now: Oh it's a 1st round pick *@(%U*(UAOJFOISJ{ )@_%!)%_!%

“ you’re a hater stealth, itz a STEAL 4us “

8 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Have you seen the trades today? The market has clearly set the value of the cap space way higher than the picks. Subba for 2 seconds. Marleau and a first for a 6th. We overpaid. 

Yeah the thing is, Miller is 26 and worth the money.  It wasn't a cap dump deal.

• Like 1

I’m not crazy about giving up the 1st but considering Miller has usually played on the 3rd line and will probably get a good look playing with Bo and Pearson I think he will have better production than in the past. If Miller ends up with 60+ points and the 1st becomes late round I’d consider it fair value.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

It's fun to go through this thread chronologically. 

Pages 1-5: Great pickup, love the guy, fits in well as. Hopefully didn't give up a 2nd round pick. 

Pages 6-8: Still good. As long as it's not a 1st round pick Benning will be our God-Emperor.

Pages 8-Now: Oh it's a 1st round pick *@(%U*(UAOJFOISJ{ )@_%!)%_!%

As is CDC tradition.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1