The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say they're at the point where they need to add productive veterans to make sure the young guys aren't carrying too much of the load.  Last year Petey and Boes both played a great half season........Petey in the first half, Boes in the second.  Had there been some veteran offensive support, they probably would have been more consistent and the team may have made the playoffs.

4 years of an offensive player in his prime at that cap hit isn't going to be cheap.........it's not a cap dump of an aging player.

Not saying it's not a risk, but it's a risk that needs to be taken at this point.........the entire org nerds to see some success.

That's the most reasonable and measured case for the deal I've read here.  While I still don't like it, that has to be the thinking and it could turn out to be right.  Or not!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

With few exceptions, every player was once a draft pick. Miller was a 1st rounder, 15th overall. If we miss the Playoffs next year we keep our pick. We are even more likely to make the Playoffs the following year as that adds another year of development to our young core. That means that 16th overall is probably the worst case scenario. As others have stated , we get a 1st rounder, at a very reasonable cap hit, in his prime years. He is 6' 1" and 218 lbs and can play center or either wing and is a great fit for the Pettersson Boeser line. It's not as bad as many on here are stating.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ECKO Canuck said:

Easy to see the fans who have not watched miller play much in the east. the guy is a beast and is easily our 2nd best winger now. Some times this fan base makes me embarrassed to be a canucks fan and today is one of those days just sad how uneducated in hockey a lot of posters here and on twitter are. 

Many "fans" here like to overreact immediately without any knowledge. The majority here flipped out over the EP pick. They are only making fools of themselves.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What's not a bargain is a first and a 3rd. Cost of doing business? I don't dispute that.  

This sorta deal might have made sense when so many Cole Lind's were ready we would not need next years pick. 

For now, it appears the pundits who felt Jim was under the gun were right?

Why?  Because he made a hockey trade that will help the team, and all the young guys, now?  No one likes giving up a first, but it's time to start winning and pushing hard for the playoffs.

Benning was a major part of building a Cup winner in Boston, he knows what he's doing.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

@Smashian Kassian is Myers worth 6-7yrs at 6-7m tho with a nmc or ntc? I would not commit long term to him myself, but if you dont you wont get those players ala Lucic or Eriksson, Ladd... the list of poor contracts july 1 could go on haha

Yup. Gunna have to pay big to get Myers. Probably going to be 6-7 x 6-7.

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Remember how crippled we were and overplayed Horvat when Sutter and Beagle (and even EP) went down almost all around the same time? Miller can play all 3 forward positions.

Sold!

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

What an authoritarian intolerant twat.  If you can't understand why some people don't like this trade after Benning promising not to trade firsts at this stage in our rebuild, then you're just plain thick.  And to pile on with the sexist nonsense at the end.  Get stuffed.

I find no shortage of irony in the fact you take great offense to the word "nancy' - call out what you perceive to be 'sexist nonsense' -  and in the same post use the word "twat" as an insult to your target.  "Twat" - a derogatory term referring to female genitalia.   Well done.  You'ver rreally stamped out 'sexism'.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, ECKO Canuck said:

I agree. Very good trade for the canucks getting a great all around player.

I mean Horvat, Miller, Sutter, Pearson, Beagle, Roussel, Leivo, Gaudette, Motte. That is a very nice compliment of high energy two way forwards right there. A coaches dream.

The biggest thing left is obviously our D. We need guys on the back end that can move the puck. The forwards can help take care of defensive side of things, but moving the pcuk is critical.

Another top 6 scorer couldn`t hurt either (unless they`re comfortable penciling in Baertschi) 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Stop pretending like this was a good deal.

JB overpaid like he does most times and he did to a team that was in cap trouble yet we even added a sweetener with a 3rd. Makes no sense and this trade has a lot of blow-back potential. Even This is a really stupid trade and leap of faith to make. It’s a productive 2nd liner we’re talking about who disappears in the playoffs. 

It wasn’t a great deal, no.  It was however a deal that filled one of the team holes and Benning was clear he intended to do that this offseason.  With the news that Callahan has a degenerative disease he will be placed on the LTIR, which gives them $5.8 in room....so TB being in cap hell is a misnomer.

I like the deal and am not too upset about the conditional first.  If the team still sucks in 2021 then there are big problems.  Like I said previously, at some point the team needs to switch from rebuilder to contender and it will take some risks to get there.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I think you're missing my point. I probably didn't articulate it very well.

JB's job is to build the best team for long term sustained success. Not just to make the playoffs next one or two seasons. I agree that the players you listed are our core today, but who's to say that's the case in say 3 - 5 seasons.  If the last few years of futility have taught this anything, it should be that you can't give away picks, especially high picks, to try to obtain short-term success. 

It's the reason we're stuck in the pit of despair now.

Very clearly especially with the Podkolzin pick the goal is to improve the team now AND build towards the future. Hughes and Petey will be on their new deals as Podkolzin steps in on his ELC while we stile have vets like Pearson and Miller under 30 to shoulder the load and shelter Podkolzin. 

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Screenshot_20190622-143751_Instagram.thumb.jpg.5aa440299a141d190de0d1865155d21f.jpg

JT said Vancouver is his favourite NHL city... Well that's enough of a statement for me. Coming from an American born player, this is saying a lot. 

I'll gladly become the president of the JT Miller fan club. 

It's always cool when the player getting traded gets stoked like this. Could really prove to be here long term with that attitude.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I find no shortage of irony in the fact you take great offense to the word "nancy' - call out what you perceive to be 'sexist nonsense' -  and in the same post use the word "twat" as an insult to your target.  "Twat" - a derogatory term referring to female genitalia.   Well done.  You'ver rreally stamped out 'sexism'.

Okay, public retraction of that connotation, but not for pushing back against the insufferable conformism you're trying to impose on this discussion. 

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

CDC and meltdowns is the status quo, no? 

No one wants to give up a 1st rdr but the deal answers a need. Gaining some size on the LW was a big need. Baer's future healthwise is one hit away IMHO. The d-core does need help as well so I do not think Benning is thru. IMO Vancouver will have at least 2 rookie 'd'in the lineup with Hughes and Joulevi. Maybe a UFA signing or hopefully a trade pf Tanev with a solid return. 

IMHO the core is here and the fine tuning begins as the core evolves. 

So is literally every hockey player. This narrative with Baertschi is dumb wadr. 

You win with defense and goal tending.  

The big problem for most fans including me is the price Benning gave up for Miller.  Tampa picked up Mcdonagh and Miller for a first , 2nd and three ok prospects. The biggest portion of the value should have been for Mcdonagh.

Edited by appleboy

7 minutes ago, Claiborne55 said:

Another reason this trade sucks is now we cannot offer sheet anyone.   Stupid is as Stupid does.

When was the last time an offer sheet actually worked? It actually pisses that GM off to boot. Last time we tried an offer sheet St Louis matched. Then turned around and offer sheeted the RFA player we traded for (Bernier). This forced Gillis to match as he would have got the Blues 2nd round pick for Bernier after trading a 2nd and 3rd to obtain him. Payback. Bernier ended up over paid and became a cap dump in the trade for Ballard. 

• Cheers 1