The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

21 minutes ago, Jacereid93 said:

Question... since we have committed a 1st round to Tampa one of the next two years. Are we able to trade the 2020/2021 picks away?

lets say we don’t make the playoffs this year and we get our lottery pick. If we trade that 2021 to a team it essential means they have to hand it over to Tampa 

trying to make sense of the whole thing.. if anything could clarify that would be great 

If you wanted to trade the 2nd 1st rounder, whichever it ends up being 2020 or 2021, you would have to write that up in the contract with whomever you trade it to.

i.e.  the team you trade that second 1st rounder to gets whichever one Tampa does not. 

Following the shock of the acquisition, it's starting to look like a solid move for us.

Say we miss next year's playoffs and we land into the lottery draft again, we should be good to go and be in the playoff picture by the time the 2021 draft year rolls around. Looking at our draft picks, Podkolzin should be ready to make the jump to the AHL and/or NHL following the conclusion of his current contract. (Side note: his honouring of his signed contract is a subtly good move to demonstrate his character and I liked the hidden gem/draft rank falling of him to us at 10)

In addition, our core-6 will be 2+ years older, and if we can do a Storm Surge à la Hurricanes into the playoffs by then, we will be well into the playoffs. Basing on this year's draft order, let's assume we do a NYI kinda run, middle of the postseason bounce - we would draft be drafting around 21st to 23rd which would be decent value in 2021 as we wiull have benefited from Miller's contributions for 2 seasons already. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If you agree with a friend or family member do you refer to them as your lord and saviour. That goes both ways.

If you defend everything they do even if it goes against some of your previous beliefs and comments I guess you do or would. 

2 minutes ago, Krinjer33 said:

I like this trade

J.T Miller addresses a need.

Sure it sucks to lose a 1st, but Benning has a whole year to regain another 1st as a replacement if he feels that we will need one.

Im sure they have already looked ahead to next years draft class and believe that the prospects in the 16- 31 range are not worth holding on to the pick for (for now).

things may change, and if they do and the scouts find a player in that range, then I'm sure JB will try to acquire another 1st round pick.

This

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yes meaning it could be worse in 2021. My hope for the pick is we miss this year & make it next year.

I don't know if it would've or not, the guy was just saying it was better to trade the pick than a prospect for which I disagreed.

For sure, but in a regular year the Canucks are still further away. They were 9 points back this year. In 2018 they would've been 14 points back.

That's ideal. But JB will be gone and new GM in if miss playoffs. 

Best thing is make playoffs both years and hope it's not a top 10 pick going to TBL

If new GM comes in who knows what happens. He likely makes some changes. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, combover said:

If you defend everything they do even if it goes against some of your previous beliefs and comments I guess you do or would. 

So you're saying that you call friends and family members that agree with your lord and saviour or is this just another typical deflection? This is sarcasm by the way.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don't know if we helped Tampa that much. They're gonna miss Miller quite a bit. In a perfect world they hold onto him.

They had other options to trade players to free up cap space, it didn't have to be Miller. Benning wasn't messing around though. He wanted a guy and went out and got him. He obviously knows the gamble and is willing to live with it to get a player he thinks will be a good fit.

I'd rather get a player that helps this team than take another teams cap dump in order to get a pick. We don't need more anchors that don't make us better.

I agree with everything you said......as long as Miller is good for us as I stated. Otherwise we lose a first rounder and have a significant salary on our hands.  This should be decent.  At the very least we have some more size up front.

8 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

So perfect thx. So like I said if his doing great we could steal a first from Seattle when the time comes......it also doesn't hurt our young guys....

i would be more pissed off if Jim traded our first for  a rental. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

7 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Bo Horvat .33 points per minute

JT Miller .30

he will be loved here. 

Let's not look at Eriksson's numbers before and after......some players don't do as well on different teams.  With that said, I'm not being a debbie downer.....I think this will work out well but given there's a first rounder in play, I'm just hopeful that he comes as advertised.

24 minutes ago, combover said:

Yeah trolling since 1990. Or maybe that makes me a bandwagoner. 

Troll  just the term of the day Benning fans use when people don’t like there lord and saviours  stupid moves being criticized 

I’m not a fan of Benning. Some on here are fans of Benning and I’ve had discussions  with them  And disagree without childish name calling. I respect those the ones, the ones  instantly go troll just show a lack of wits and an inability to accept that not everyone has to agree especially on a DISCUSSION BOARD. 

Curious to know if your in a live conversation with a friend or family member and they disagree with your point of view do you just call them trolls. 

Fyi what you did with your comment is the definition of trolling. 

Mission accomplished I guess. 

I bet ur mother doesnt even like u...

Just now, Stierlitz said:

JT Miller is actually pretty durable - he played 82, 82, 82 and 75 games in the last 4 seasons.

Brandon Sutter was one durable dude as well. Only missed 3 games in 5 seasons before joining us. Hope he isn't as unlucky

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, pluralsight said:

Hopefully this means that JB won't be overpaying for guys like Ferland and Simmonds during free agency. 

Yes, I don't think he's signing any more forwards, minimal reason being we have too many as it is.  One thing that's easy to forget, is that we already have another top-6 winger -- Baertschi, providing of course he can regain and retain health.  If he falters, we can put Leivo up there, increasing the top-6 heaviness even more.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

The deal is not what I was hoping or predicting, but its fine. I was expecting Benning to start trading picks at this point.

He has established his nucleus of 3-4 core players. At some point an organization accumulates prospects it can't fit into the lineup or develop properly, because there are no excellent opportunities, and the organization has started to pay full price on its core players. Boeser has to be paid. Horvat is on a deal of a contract. EP and Hughes are on entry deals. Would it be nice if Joulevi had turned into a stud #1 D man by now? Of course, but you can't reload forever. As the team improves, the quality of our draft opportunities diminishes. 

This is also a good time to accumulate assets. It is unlikely that there will be another time in the next 5 year where teams are under this much cap pressure. Seattle will boost revenue and the new TV deal will boost revenue. This is a good time to buy premium assets inexpensively.

Miller isn't the guy I would have targeted. I thought we would trade for a D and try for forward in free agency (maybe Duchene). That having been said, I don't think it makes sense to "trust in Benning" when it comes to drafting, and not when it comes to evaluating the quality of actual NHL players. Either the organization can evaluate hockey talent (especially potential) or it can't. So I'm willing to trust when it comes to Miller.

The Canucks are still in an enviable position heading into free agency. 13 serviceable forwards are under contract. 7 servicable D are under contract. That does not include Boeser, or lesser but useful players like Granlund, Goldobin, and Leivo at forward, or Hutton on defense. Our goaltenders are under contract. Even after signing all of those players (should the team even wish to), we would still have the cap space to sign pretty much any of the free agents out there except Panarin. 

The team is going to start the season having lost none of the players from last season it wished to keep. None. It will have added at least one significant piece in Miller, and likely another one or two by the end of free agency. Myers could be signed as a FA, or maybe a forward like Duchene or Dzingel instead and pick a D off a cap strapped team for cheap. If Toronto is willing to give away a first to lose Marleau, something like Granlund for Zaitsev is not unreasonable, or maybe Colin Miller from Vegas for Goldobin. 

The Canucks have options. No need to panic.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Let's not look at Eriksson's numbers before and after......some players don't do as well on different teams.  With that said, I'm not being a debbie downer.....I think this will work out well but given there's a first rounder in play, I'm just hopeful that he comes as advertised.

Eriksson at 30+ isn't a reasonable comparison to JT Miller especially when you consider how vastly different their play styles are. JT is a play driver, Loui is a goal mouth tap in type player and currently a passenger at best. 

Not even a remotely decent comparison other than salary and bang for buck where JT destroys Loui. 

You also need to tally up Loui’s last 8 seasons to still come 5 hits shy of how many JT had last season... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Eriksson at 30+ isn't a reasonable comparison to JT Miller especially when you consider how vastly different their play styles are. JT is a play driver, Loui is a goal mouth tap in type player and currently a passenger at best. 

Not even a remotely decent comparison other than salary and bang for buck where JT destroys Loui. 

You also need to tally up Loui’s last 8 seasons to still come 5 hits shy of how many JT had last season... 

It was simply to say that we took on Eriksson's salary expecting more based on his history.  If this didn't cost a first rounder, I wouldn't be hesitant about this trade.  I still may be very happy with it.  I just would have liked to keep the first round picks when while we have a good drafting GM (unlike 2007 until JB).  I know I'm not alone in thinking the loss of the first rounder is an eyebrow raiser.  But JB got his man and the ship has sailed.  Hopefully it works out.