The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No matter what happens with the team, we need to keep our current scouts and build on them. Judd Brackett’s killing it under Jim Benning.  

Anybody know who would’ve made the decision to pull the trigger on Hog? 

Now the Canucks just have to find a way to keep some other team from offering Brackett an Asst. GM position and luring him away.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Svech did it twice in the NHL this season so far no? Doing it in the best league is more impressive, but still shows off slick hands regardless.

To me tho, I don't care how the puck gets in the net, there are no style points...still only counts as 1G if its lacrosse style or off your shin pad/face or just a regular old shot. 

Hope he has a productive tournament then finishes the season strong in Sweden

Exactly.  5 seconds of flash is not going to tell u how successful he will be in the NHL. Not saying he wont be ( i am a huge fan), but its going to take a hell of allot more then lacrosse goals for him to be a top 6 NHL player.  

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No matter what happens with the team, we need to keep our current scouts and build on them. Judd Brackett’s killing it under Jim Benning.  

My guess is Gradin?

8 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Exactly.  5 seconds of flash is not going to tell u how successful he will be in the NHL. Not saying he wont be ( i am a huge fan), but its going to take a hell of allot more then lacrosse goals for him to be a top 6 NHL player.  

I think he was player of the game, so he likely had a good game apart from the fancy goal.

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

My guess is Gradin?

Gradin probably scouted him, but the bottom line goes to the GM who makes the final decision.  It's his job that is on the line if the team drafts poorly.

• Upvote 1

Johan Cruyff legendary soccer player and coach said "Technique is not about being able to juggle a ball 1,000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is about passing the ball with one touch, at the right speed, onto the right foot of your team mate."

I am a big fan of Hoglander and loved the goal, but this is not what will make him a great NHL player.  His skating, responsibility,  work ethic, and understanding of how to work as a team are what he needs to make it.  He clearly has the puck skills.  Look at Linus Omark highlights and look at his nhl career.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Johan Cruyff legendary soccer player and coach said "Technique is not about being able to juggle a ball 1,000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is about passing the ball with one touch, at the right speed, onto the right foot of your team mate."

I am a big fan of Hoglander and loved the goal, but this is not what will make him a great NHL player.  His skating, responsibility,  work ethic, and understanding of how to work as a team are what he needs to make it.  He clearly has the puck skills.  Look at Linus Omark highlights and look at his nhl career.

Lol. Shremp comes to mind. 

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think he was player of the game, so he likely had a good game apart from the fancy goal.

Gradin probably scouted him, but the bottom line goes to the GM who makes the final decision.  It's his job that is on the line if the team drafts poorly.

He was the Sweden player of the game.

His line played most of their time in the offensive zone. On the PP Hogs was the net front guy which I was not expecting. I thought they would have one of their bigger guys there. He did not shy away from standing right in front of the goalie. He must be able to get the dirty goals if they chose him to play there. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

The same person who makes all the decisions. The guy with the "The buck stops here" sign on his desk, Benning.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

He was the Sweden player of the game.

His line played most of their time in the offensive zone. On the PP Hogs was the net front guy which I was not expecting. I thought they would have one of their bigger guys there. He did not shy away from standing right in front of the goalie. He must be able to get the dirty goals if they chose him to play there. 

One can hope he's our very own Swedish Brendan Gallagher!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cuporbust said:

I'll tell you what makes him an NHL player. The way he moves away from the puck. He doesn't skate in straight robotic lines, he moves to the open ice and he presents himself for passes (and he wants them like you'd want him to). So many players don't understand this concept of not standing behind players in the offensive zones because they're strategies guys. He's a high iq guy. 

Hogs issue is that sometimes he over handles the puck and gets his feet moving too much when he should slow the play down. That's an easy thing to work on. His shot could be better. That can be improved too. His passing is largely very good (occasionally off, but he makes a lot of high iq passes). There's no way this kid doesn't make it to the nhl with those hands and the iq he has. He has the potential to be a Patrick Kane type player, and at worst he'll be a third liner. Kid has about an 8/10 for vision, 10/10 for hands, 6/10 shot and 7/10 for hockey iq. That's advanced for his age by a large margin in comparison to most NHL prospects. 

28 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Also Hoglander is way ahead in terms of development in comparison to Podkolzin. 

Oranges and apples really...Hog's plays a free style offensive game on a team that has more than a few of those types so the coach plays that way...

The Russian's play a structured game and Pod's is learning how to do that pretty well I think...Pod's plays the PK and the PP (in Hog's net front spot)...on the PP he is right in front of the goalie mostly but always makes his stick available to the shooter for a shot/pass...his development in that system seems just fine to me.

I do think Hog's is going to be a flashier player and probably get more points...

6 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Hog looks nice BUT

I rather have Zegras than Hog + Pod. So I wouldve done 6th overall for 10th and 40th tbh. Oh well. 

Woo looks good but I would have rather had Bahl plus maybe a 3-5th rounder kicked in ...with our scout's that would have been a sure thing in Bahl and a 50/50 player to boot...

Woo may still be better overall and Hog's may score enough goals to make you forget all of Z's apples...

24 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why is this relevant to the thread?

I don't know about relevance, but I can't see anyone trading their 10th and 40th overall for a 9th pick' especially when the gm has no idea who will be available at said 9th. 

• Like 1