The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

1 hour ago, DanielCloutier said:

Dude's still just 21 and was injured for much of last year. He clearly lost a step last year because of the injury. I think he's going to have a good year. People sleep on my boy Nils.

I respect your opinion more than your playoff play there Dan...:lol:

But seriously... To many are ready to trade Högs at the age of 21... He's in the age bracket management wants.  He can probably be effective on all 4 lines... So he's versatile enough as well.

Does he need to get better defensively?  Well yes... So does 95% of all 21 year old NHL players.  Is his hockey IQ elite... No probably not but it's good and his work ethic, will and want to play the right way, will help him stay an effective top 9 NHL player for years me thinks.  He's skilled and has a high compete level. 

Right now, even if they wanted to trade him, the return wouldn't be worth it.  So... Why not just let him get his game back, see where he fits.  Once he does, he will either become one of the fringe core by year end or traded for an actual reasonable return.  Win, win....B) Capiche?

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2022 at 7:42 PM, -AJ- said:

He's remembered far too much for his short, albeit terrible, stint at the end of his tenure. He and Hoglander did work well together.

Well to be fair... Green had less to work with on those rosters.  So Högs was probably the best option?... However in hindsight... Maybe it would have been better had he played a half season or so in Utica to improve his defense understanding?  

More reasons why you can’t trade Hoglander 

I think it’s for this reason he plays so well this Petey and Podz.  For the limited time they were together they were the most dangerous line assembled last year.   You do t think Petey and Podz aren’t going to FEAST on numbers like those? 

image.thumb.jpeg.9cbafe82bcec992eec79c64c4bc25dcb.jpeg

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I still like Hoglander a lot. Seems like his main issue has been his finishing ability. Skates hard and can often cause turnovers. 

I'd rather move Garland (he is likely worth more too) and stick with Hoglander for a while more and see if he can take that next step in his game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hoglander's goal nestles him atop a big group with 48 points and into 161st in all-time Canucks scoring.

160.  Jason Garrison D 128 15 34 49
161.  Nils Hoglander RW 126 24 24 48
162.  Brent Ashton C 124 23 25 48
163.  Brad Richardson RW 135 21 27 48
164.  Bill Muckalt RW 106 20 28 48
165.  Tom Fergus C 80 19 29 48
166.  Manny Malhotra C 159 18 30 48
167.  Antoine Roussel LW 141 17 31 48

• 2 weeks later...

There is some wiseguys on Twitter talking about trading Hogz because he "might not be an NHL player" Dump him before his value falls. This is utter insanity. 

We have to give him all the chances he needs. Like we gave Kesler Burrows and Hansen. Maybe Hogz will turn into a 3rd line checker. Maybe he will get in the top 6 still. We have to find out. 

13 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

There is some wiseguys on Twitter talking about trading Hogz because he "might not be an NHL player" Dump him before his value falls. This is utter insanity. 

We have to give him all the chances he needs. Like we gave Kesler Burrows and Hansen. Maybe Hogz will turn into a 3rd line checker. Maybe he will get in the top 6 still. We have to find out. 

Hogs will find his groove. More important that he works on his d-game than offense. Canuck history of developing their talent is not good. Big Mac is playing regularly with Philly and has a 0.4 ppg average. TOI averages about 14. He plays the physical game that the Canuck roster has always needed.  

• There it is 1

14 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Currently getting a bit of a Mason Raymond vibe from Hogz. Great neutral zone player but has a hard time finding the net.

Not that this is a bad thing if Hogz can become a 40ish point player that is solid ots just that Raymond gave a great effort and would have been a hard player to play against but he always left you wanting a bit more and Hogz seems to be projecting this way as well.

My feeling with Hogz though is that he needs to be a top 6 player or nothing. He really doesn't fit well in a bottom 6 role.

On 11/21/2022 at 7:58 AM, GB5 said:

Currently getting a bit of a Mason Raymond vibe from Hogz. Great neutral zone player but has a hard time finding the net.

Not that this is a bad thing if Hogz can become a 40ish point player that is solid ots just that Raymond gave a great effort and would have been a hard player to play against but he always left you wanting a bit more and Hogz seems to be projecting this way as well.

My feeling with Hogz though is that he needs to be a top 6 player or nothing. He really doesn't fit wn a bottom 6 role.ell i

Way early to say that IMHO. Hogs has just started his 3rd NHL season and is only 22 years old. He is playing a better d-side game this year. He has the speed and skill that will let him re-establish his offensive game eventually. His puck retrieval is superior. Hogs will be just fine with some patience and coaching. 

3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

If anyone trades this kid there's gonna be serious sh** to pay. Imagine him when he's a bit older

Not saying he'll be the same, but Rob Schremp looked pretty amazing too.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, Boudrias said:

Way early to say that IMHO. Hogs has just started his 3rd NHL season and is only 22 years old. He is playing a better d-side game this year. He has the speed and skill that will let him re-establish his offensive game eventually. His puck retrieval is superior. Hogs will be just fine with some patience and coaching. 

I think it's too early as well. He is slowly getting better, However I would have preferred the Canucks letting him develop in Sweden or the AHL for a year or two before rushing him to the NHL so he could get the ice time he deserves. Still have high hopes for him.

• Cheers 1