The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Miller reminds me a lot of Kesler, but my brother made a key distinction the other day, noting that although both players were the epitome of "pissy" and were intense competitors, Kesler's work ethic was never questioned, whereas that seems to be one of the big questions with Miller.

That's a good observation.

One always got the feeling Kesler would put his face in front of a Shea Weber slapshot if it gave his team a better chance of winning (not that anyone would recommend or expect that).

I can't picture Miller doing the same. 

8 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Anyone with a pair of working eyes can question his determination when he shows vast inconsistencies in effort from game to game. No one is wanting Miller to become a docile, robotic player. Having a player like Miller is great for the playoffs (if he can manage himself), but he's not demonstrated, in any consistent way, this season that he's the type of player that can help the Canucks get into the playoffs. Not that most of the team hasn't sucked eggs too. 

By the way, the reason he didn't throw in the towel was that he had an inkling that his play would convince some sucker to give him his big payday. Looks like he found that sucker.

2015-16 Pensburgh Recap: Jim Rutherford - PensBurgh

Sure bud.

At least Miller is self aware...he knows those things are an issue and has explained how his emotion gets in the way at times. He has acknowledged it and that's the first step toward improvement. Not "everyone tries to" stuff.

See the clip of Marner then tell me he owns some accountability. Doesn't seem like he does. Leafs are the golden boys and mean people are saying things about them. 

I'd rather have a guy who will slam a door then go out the next shift and make up for his  momentary lapse of focus as he's pissed off. Slam someone into the boards, drive the net, etc. Toughness.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Miller reminds me a lot of Kesler, but my brother made a key distinction the other day, noting that although both players were the epitome of "pissy" and were intense competitors, Kesler's work ethic was never questioned, whereas that seems to be one of the big questions with Miller.

Kesler would rather take a slash or hit than willingly let someone get by him, he actively wanted to be hated back when he was starting out and seemed to thrive on being a pain in the ass to play against. Dude went to war out on the ice, I don't see that from Miller. Kesler worked his ass off and was one of the better two-way players of the 2000's-2010's era as a result. 

Kesler never hit Miller's high mark but I'd take 08-09 to 16-17 Kesler over Miller every day of the week because his value went far beyond his production. Miller could put up 60-80 points and I'd still take Kesler at 40-50+ because Miller gives up some of what he produces and Kesler largely did the opposite. 

Kes could be moody and a prick but he would generally give most, if not all he had on the ice. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Quacks said:

Sure bud.

At least Miller is self aware...he knows those things are an issue and has explained how his emotion gets in the way at times. He has acknowledged it and that's the first step toward improvement. Not "everyone tries to" stuff.

See the clip of Marner then tell me he owns some accountability. Doesn't seem like he does. Leafs are the golden boys and mean people are saying things about them. 

I'd rather have a guy who will slam a door then go out the next shift and make up for his  momentary lapse of focus as he's pissed off. Slam someone into the boards, drive the net, etc. Toughness.

Sure buds. 

I was shocked when Canucks signed Miller to 7 years X 8 million-- I will always say Miller is a 67--75 point guy  G 24--28.

Miller had a fantastic season last year 99 points but that was a 1 year thing.

He plays with emotion and I think emotion goes into the the dressing room and can effect other teammates..

Now we have another Canuck Bo Horvat pace for 86--88 points  -- 58--60 goals ??

Horvat realistically should produce. - GP 75 -- G 25-29 -- Points 62--65 point guy?

I really like Bo Horvat, but I don't know how he feels about Vancouver after management deciding to sign Miller before him.'

I really think if Canucks offered 6.7 - 7 million X 7 years last July Horvat would of signed,, Now Horvat camp will want 8 - 8.5 million?

I sure hope some how Canucks can move Miller before July 1st..I know it will be tough..

Horvat situation has to happen weeks before March 3rd trade deadline.. They sign or trade Bo Horvat..

Will be a very interesting 6--7 weeks starting now with lots of rumours.. I say 50- 50 chance Horvat will be moved?

14 hours ago, wildcam said:

I was shocked when Canucks signed Miller to 7 years X 8 million-- I will always say Miller is a 67--75 point guy  G 24--28.

Miller had a fantastic season last year 99 points but that was a 1 year thing.

He plays with emotion and I think emotion goes into the the dressing room and can effect other teammates..

Now we have another Canuck Bo Horvat pace for 86--88 points  -- 58--60 goals ??

Horvat realistically should produce. - GP 75 -- G 25-29 -- Points 62--65 point guy?

I really like Bo Horvat, but I don't know how he feels about Vancouver after management deciding to sign Miller before him.'

I really think if Canucks offered 6.7 - 7 million X 7 years last July Horvat would of signed,, Now Horvat camp will want 8 - 8.5 million?

I sure hope some how Canucks can move Miller before July 1st..I know it will be tough..

Horvat situation has to happen weeks before March 3rd trade deadline.. They sign or trade Bo Horvat..

Will be a very interesting 6--7 weeks starting now with lots of rumours.. I say 50- 50 chance Horvat will be moved?

Exactly this, what a stupid move by management to sign a guy after an anomaly, career year. I get if this happens in your contract year, you're stuck, but Miller still has 1 year left...if they had just waited 12 months for him to play like garbage this year, he could have easily been signed for a lot less. A 70 point player turned 30 on the wing who can't defend is probably worth 6-7M. He wouldn't get paid 8M anywhere else. Miller's agent wisely pressured this newbie GM into signing him when he didn't have to.

Bo is a bit different, this is a contract year so we have to make a decision. I do agree that his play will dip in future years but his scoring may always be high, he's a unit on the PP and has developed a real knack for tips and goals around the crease. If he doesn't sign with Vancouver he will get paid elsewhere because people have to respect his production in a contract year.

The right thing to do would have been to wait for both of them and decide this TDL - most likely re-sign Bo to an 8.5M x 7-8yr deal and trade Miller or sign him for 6.5M and trade Boeser/Garland. The next best thing would have been to trade Miller when his value was high last year (knowing that he would never keep it up as most good experienced GMs would know). The next best thing would have been to let him walk next offseason and get good cap space back. The worst thing we could have done is sign him to a mega deal after a career high year when he wasn't even in a contract year.

Allvin got played and should be judged for it, but that's just half the story - the other half will be how he deals with Bo.

• Like 1

Hansen on J.T. Miller

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/former-canuck-jannik-hansen-has-some-criticisms-of-jt-miller/ar-AA160IMz?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4679361da8774b7ab7ef6f0a236491ed

After an NHL career that spanned more than 600 games — including more than 500 with the Vancouver Canucks — Jannik Hansen has become a semi-often commenter on the status of the team. He appears on Sportsnet 650’s The People’s Show every Tuesday to give his thoughts on the team, often adding interesting behind-the-scenes insights from his time with the organization. Hansen has developed a reputation for being honest about his frustrations with the current state of the organization.

“You [J.T. Miller] have no problem showing emotion when you want the goalie off, but when you turn the puck over, where’s the emotion?” said Hansen. “He plays with emotion and he plays with that fire, but he also has the flip side of that coin where it can tilt the other way.”

In Hansen’s latest appearance, he touched on a number of topics, but the dominant theme of the conversation was Canucks forward J.T. Miller. The American forward’s play has been one of the bigger storylines this season, so it’s natural that it featured heavily.

Hansen didn’t hold back when discussing his thoughts on Miller’s play and attitude throughout the season thus far. He came down harshly on Miller’s attitude and effort levels, condemning him for not putting enough effort into those two areas specifically.

Here are some of the specifics of what Hansen had to say.

On Miller’s emotions

Miller has always been known as someone that wears his heart on his sleeve. He’s very visible with his emotions and does have outbursts from time to time where you can see his frustration. A recent example of this was when Miller smashed his stick on the back of the net to get Collin Delia to head to the bench for the extra attacker.

Hansen voiced his frustration that Miller seemingly doesn’t put that same emotion into the small parts of his game.

On Miller’s defensive warts

Miller’s defensive woes have kept him from playing centre with any sort of consistency this season, and Hansen was quick to comment on the fact that Miller’s solid offensive numbers don’t make up for his defensive struggles.

“Yeah, he’s got those 30-odd points, but when you’re -15, you’re hurting the team more than you’re helping. I don’t care if you have 30 points, I’d rather you have zero and then not get scored on, because you probably win more games that way.”

On the need for Miller to be policed

One of the most interesting parts of Hansen’s hit came when he discussed the need for Miller’s bad behaviour to be called out. He discussed how the uncertainty in the dressing room and behind the bench may be making it difficult for strong voices to make difficult decisions, especially when they know they might not be in Vancouver for long.

“When you’re producing but you’re hurting your team more, it’s not worth it. That’s when you really have to clean up your game and then your numbers are going to go down a little bit, but in the long run, you’ll win more because of what you’re not giving up the other way,” Hansen said.

“For some reason, JT [Miller] can’t figure out that equation himself, so that’s where the policing comes in. Whether that’s Bruce [Boudreau], but that might be hard because Bruce is also in a bit of a pickle right now and JT knows that too,” Hansen continued. “Whoever it is that needs to be put in place policing the dressing room, it’s hard to do when there are so many uncertainties.”

The full hit can be found by clicking here.

• Cheers 1

I would like to see the negative nancies and naysayers complain about that all-star performance from JT! Is he going to the ASG?? He should be! Another great goal but I'm sure people will still complain. When will you understand that he brings the "it" factor to this team?? your fancy numbers and calculators cant show me how good that is!

• RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

59 minutes ago, Mr. Quacks said:

I would like to see the negative nancies and naysayers complain about that all-star performance from JT! Is he going to the ASG?? He should be! Another great goal but I'm sure people will still complain. When will you understand that he brings the "it" factor to this team?? your fancy numbers and calculators cant show me how good that is!

Yup.  JTM played a defensive role (again) last night.  And he was clearly great.  And JTM playing the defensive role frees up others (Bo, Petey) to be more offensively minded.  Although Petey is great already defensively.  

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

The initials for "J.T." in Miller's name need to stand for Just Trade.  The man's an $8 million hypocrite (pretending to get pissed off on the 4-2 goal [of course he may have been angry due to the interference non-call, but either way you'd expect someone to try harder when they're angry], then turn over the puck down a goal and stop skating).  Despite having the label of being a "leader" with the "A", clearly he's lost the room too (Kuzmenko saying "OMG" when he smashed his stick, and Petey rolling his eyes as such a diva response with no follow-through).  Myers and OEL may have their flaws but at least they put in the effort.  This man's gotta go or the team's lost me as a fan (esp. if they trade Horvat and guys start wanting out).    

Edited by Phil_314

21 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

The initials for "J.T." in Miller's name need to stand for Just Trade.  The man's an $8 million hypocrite (pretending to get pissed off on the 4-2 goal [of course he may have been angry due to the interference non-call, but either way you'd expect someone to try harder when they're angry], then turn over the puck down a goal and stop skating).  Despite having the label of being a "leader" with the "A", clearly he's lost the room too (Kuzmenko saying "OMG" when he smashed his stick, and Petey rolling his eyes as such a diva response with no follow-through).  Myers and OEL may have their flaws but at least they put in the effort.  This man's gotta go or the team's lost me as a fan (esp. if they trade Horvat and guys start wanting out).    

Yes, I wish we can Just Trade him.

Didn't know about Petey rolling his eyes? 

The last hope is Tocchet makes this guy to play better. It looked like Tocchet know that there is a problem with Miller based on that press conference.

Edited by jyu

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Yes, I wish we can Just Trade him.

Didn't know about Petey rolling his eyes? 

The last hope is Tocchet makes this guy to play better. It looked like Tocchet know that there is a problem with Miller based on that press conference.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

On 1/23/2023 at 9:40 AM, Ballisticsports. said:

I think he really wanted a win for Bruce ?

I am ok if that is the case, but I could see it making guys on eggshells on the bench

It was too late to worry about Bruce 1/2 through the season though for a win, when they could have had many more wins with more intensity before this game

If he'd take all of the emotion he's throwing away on little tantrums and channel it in to playing solid defensively like he has done in the past he may have saved Bruce's job.  Well, JT and a few others.  Offence has been very good this year, defensively the team's a train wreck.  It's making some decent goalies look bad.

On 1/25/2023 at 12:00 PM, RogersTowell said:

If he'd take all of the emotion he's throwing away on little tantrums and channel it in to playing solid defensively like he has done in the past he may have saved Bruce's job.  Well, JT and a few others.  Offence has been very good this year, defensively the team's a train wreck.  It's making some decent goalies look bad.

Was the job ever Boudreau’s to save for the long term, though? We heard Bic and Sat tire of Allvin seemingly making excuses for Miller, but, when will the Vancouver market tire of making excuses for “decent goalies” who simply need to play better? Yes, I’m including Demko at the top of that list, dating back to last season. 

On 1/27/2023 at 7:08 PM, Fakename70 said:

Was the job ever Boudreau’s to save for the long term, though? We heard Bic and Sat tire of Allvin seemingly making excuses for Miller, but, when will the Vancouver market tire of making excuses for “decent goalies” who simply need to play better? Yes, I’m including Demko at the top of that list, dating back to last season. 

My point wasn't the goalies, not making excuses for them.  It was calling Miller out for wasting his energy in a non-productive direction - and in a way that does not help team morale.  Are you saying that goalies are the problem?  I think they might be part of it, but there are a lot of problems to resolve right now.

• 2 weeks later...