The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

• 3 weeks later...

this is what I mean about JT being vocal , and commanding ..  He sets this goal up for Horvat perfectly ..    that’s leadership, mentorship, and Captaincy..  

is one thing to deflect a goal in ,  but how the puck got there takes athletic intelligence, and voices.

Have a great year JT !

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

this is what I mean about JT being vocal , and commanding ..  He sets this goal up for Horvat perfectly ..    that’s leadership, mentorship, and Captaincy..  

is one thing to deflect a goal in ,  but how the puck got there takes athletic intelligence, and voices.

Have a great year JT !

Yes I saw that as well. He is literally directing the play on the PP like a boss…

• Cheers 1

On 10/13/2022 at 6:56 AM, -AJ- said:

Mixed night for Miller. Some pretty sketchy passes, but also had two points and was 55% in the dot.

I think sadly he's become a bit of a rock-star and wants to become the scoring elite guy on the team, so to do so he makes so many risky stupid passes. It started around 2 years ago - before that he was just a solid two-way center (especially in his first season with us) but as he realised he can score more, he's been making stupid passes all the time. I think playing under Green didn't help because Green let Petey and Miller make these risky passes all day long, but Bruce hasn't kicked it out of his system yet and sometimes it really costs us big time.

I'd hoped he'd be a bit more responsible defensively - you never see Pettersson make these dumb passes on the offensive blueline or in his own defensive zone anymore, but Miller is always going to be a double-edged sword nowadays.

• Like 1

Brutal first 2 games but we have decided to live and die by this contract. I wouldn't have resigned him personally because of the bone-headed defensive plays he makes but he we are...we have to deal with it.

BB has tried his best, putting Pearson to help defend, on his line, but Miller needs to wake up, take accountability and realise that so far he's cost us all 4 points in the standings. 

Dreadful defensive start to the year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

JT Miller...instead of venting, he should get his head out of his ass and start being aware of what is going on the ice and stop giving up on plays.  Right now, he's a liability.  The Canuck leadership group, everyone of them, needs to get their sh!t together and start playing like the way they're being paid.  Otherwise, all these guys are doing is stealing money from the franchise.

Getting myself prepped for another long season.  Apathy is right around the corner.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

5 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

JT Miller...instead of venting, he should get his head out of his ass and start being aware of what is going on the ice and stop giving up on plays.  Right now, he's a liability.  The Canuck leadership group, everyone of them, needs to get their sh!t together and start playing like the way they're being paid.  Otherwise, all these guys are doing is stealing money from the franchise.

Getting myself prepped for another long season.  Apathy is right around the corner.

Nah Captain material is giving up on plays and being a dash factory evidently. 

Sounds like BB moving wingers around to try and cover Miller's stupid defensive play. He's been this way for years, it's got to come from within.

I think the only way he'll grow out of this if he takes a back seat offensively. When he played his first year here, he was just a good gritty 2 way center. Then Petey sucked a bit and Miller realised he can score more, so he became a rockstar and pushed offensively too much. It didn't help to have a useless coach in Green who was too meek to hold them back - he gave them the green light to try stuff offensively no matter the cost defensively. That's when Miller's dumb blind passes and offensive blueline dekes started.

Sad thing is that BB hasn't been able to scream it out of Miller, he did the same last year and because he hit 99 points, has learned some bad habits.

I think there is a way out though - as he gets older and slower, he'll hopefully produce less offence and Petey will hopefully take full charge of this team's offence soon. It might not be until next year, but once there's that changing of the guard (or really, top line scoring center role), then Miller will have to revert back to the player he was 3-5 years ago and stop cheating offensively. He'll go down to a 40-50 point center but will hopefully learn the value of not making risky plays anymore.

JT is a double edged sword but he doesn't have to be. We have so many offensive options now that we don't need him doing the stupid stuff he's done the last 2 years. It has pretty much single handedly cost us the first 2 games this year and I'm sure his scoring touch will win us big games down the line, but we don't need to play this risky way anymore because it'll burn us far too many times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds like BB moving wingers around to try and cover Miller's stupid defensive play. He's been this way for years, it's got to come from within.

I think the only way he'll grow out of this if he takes a back seat offensively. When he played his first year here, he was just a good gritty 2 way center. Then Petey sucked a bit and Miller realised he can score more, so he became a rockstar and pushed offensively too much. It didn't help to have a useless coach in Green who was too meek to hold them back - he gave them the green light to try stuff offensively no matter the cost defensively. That's when Miller's dumb blind passes and offensive blueline dekes started.

Sad thing is that BB hasn't been able to scream it out of Miller, he did the same last year and because he hit 99 points, has learned some bad habits.

I think there is a way out though - as he gets older and slower, he'll hopefully produce less offence and Petey will hopefully take full charge of this team's offence soon. It might not be until next year, but once there's that changing of the guard (or really, top line scoring center role), then Miller will have to revert back to the player he was 3-5 years ago and stop cheating offensively. He'll go down to a 40-50 point center but will hopefully learn the value of not making risky plays anymore.

JT is a double edged sword but he doesn't have to be. We have so many offensive options now that we don't need him doing the stupid stuff he's done the last 2 years. It has pretty much single handedly cost us the first 2 games this year and I'm sure his scoring touch will win us big games down the line, but we don't need to play this risky way anymore because it'll burn us far too many times.

What was the objective in resigning Miller? I get the ppg but what else? His desire to succeed is obvious as he plays on the edge. It often backfires some of which should be expected. By all reports he is active in mentoring the younger players. Is Miller supposed to be the transition vet that leads the younger core towards CUP contention? As competitive as he is I often wonder how rounded his game actually is? Unforced errors and a slow skate back to the bench. Any production above 

0.80 ppg and Miller can be managed. Less and he becomes a burden and frankly a questionable role model. 

IMHO PA and Rutherford knew that resigning Miller still left him with options. Miller now has cost certainty with a rising CAP. There will be interested trade partners. What many Canuck fans will not like in moving Miller will be the realization that this group is ways away from serious contention. Management will watch how the roster performs and will be evaluating their development pipeline. A natural process but IMHO if they don't think enough help is coming soon they might blow things up to some extent and move what appears to be core players like Miller and Boeser.  

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Lazar - Garland

Trade Horvat for a D 

If Miller and Boeser are going to play slow, lose puck battles and poor passes, it's good to have the fastest player on the team (Mikheyev) as a line mate to get back.

Let Petey take over as the #1C with the Russians on his wings. I want to see more production from Podkolzin.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I remember seeing the same thing. When Petey struggled a little bit and then got injured in the 2020-21 season Miller initially also struggled offensively before realizing that he could put up more offense (at the cost of defense).

I think it's one of the main reasons the lotto line succeeded in Miller's first year but struggled more recently. In his first year Miller play more of a support role using his gritty 2-way play to get and maintain possession and provide space for Petey (which still lead to him being over a point per game and the points leader). However, after Miller decided he can be THE guy offensively he started competing with Petey rather than complementing him when they play together which has ended up in more turnovers and seeming lack of chemistry (plus riskier play regardless of linemate). Boeser actually had a down year the lotto line year but was still 3rd on the team in points per game.

Ultimately I think Miller is more useful to the team if he starts to think of himself less as the guy and more as the support guy again. As a "support" guy Miller can still put up around a point per game and clean up defensively. Unfortunately with his new contract I don't know if Miller can ever return to that mindset. 

Honestly, Miller is such an odd case defensively. He has moments where he's a very strong defensive player, and then moments of mental lapse where he either stops thinking clearly or just gives up too easily on a play. If he was just mentally in the game at all points, he'd be one of the top defensive centres in the league.

53 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, Miller is such an odd case defensively. He has moments where he's a very strong defensive player, and then moments of mental lapse where he either stops thinking clearly or just gives up too easily on a play. If he was just mentally in the game at all points, he'd be one of the top defensive centres in the league.

I think that's why Miller can be so frustrating to watch. We know he can play lights out hockey. The question isn't whether or not he can, it's why isn't he.

In contrast, people don't get as frustrated with Hughes when he makes a questionable defensive play because no one expects him to be Chris Tanev/Dan Hamhuis. Defensive lapses are still bothersome but most people just hope he plays well enough defensively to not be a negative. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1