The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

On 10/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, GB5 said:

Wow, that is never appropriate.

Similar things were happening to Marcus Naslund which was why he ran to NYR and didn't retire as a Canuck.

Naslund's contract expired and he signed in New York when the Canucks didn't resign him.  He didn't run away from anything. B)

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

After a pretty iffy start to the year, Miller has now quiety gotten himself up to 12 points in 12 games.

As "glowing" as those offensive numbers may be, he's been a liability the entire season.  He's minus 5, continues to serve up sloppy plays, quick to give up on plays, and has been careless on numerous occasions creating chaos for his teammates.  Schenn should have simply dummied him on national TV.

Does a bunch of fly-bys, never finishing his checks.  He thinks his one time 99 point season makes him a superstar that he's not.

Who cares about the optics of dumping him.  Miller needs to go.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

As "glowing" as those offensive numbers may be, he's been a liability the entire season.  He's minus 5 and his continues to serve up sloppy plays, and has been careless on numerous occasions creating chaos for his teammates.  Schenn should have simply dummied him on national TV.

Does a bunch of fly-bys, never finishing his checks.  He thinks his one time 99 point season makes him a superstar that he's not.

Who cares about the optics of dumping him.  Miller needs to go.

Unfortunately, future potential UFA and trade targets care. Trading Miller so shortly after signing him to an extension is not a good show of loyalty and could very well scare off future UFAs or players with Limited NTCs that might have an interest in Vancouver, hurting our chances at improving our team in those ways.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Unfortunately, future potential UFA and trade targets care. Trading Miller so shortly after signing him to an extension is not a good show of loyalty and could very well scare off future UFAs or players with Limited NTCs that might have an interest in Vancouver, hurting our chances at improving our team in those ways.

That could be a good thing.  When was the last time a big UFA signing ever worked out for anyone? 

I agree that the optics of signing and trading is not good, but at this stage, his future cap value and potential return would far outweigh all of that.  As I wrote, Miller does too many things half-assed to make up the ppg that he's been delivering this season, which should make him expendable at any cost.

All championship teams are built from the inside out...UFA signings and trades for players with limited NTCs have had limited impact on the fortunes of most teams.  Off the top of my head, Butch Goring trade is the one that comes to my mind.  I'm sure there are a handful of others (Ray Bourque to Colorado) but I can't think of any others right now.

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

That could be a good thing.  When was the last time a big UFA signing ever worked out for anyone? 

I agree that the optics of signing and trading is not good, but at this stage, his future cap value and potential return would far outweigh all of that.  As I wrote, Miller does too many things half-assed to make up the ppg that he's been delivering this season, which should make him expendable at any cost.

All championship teams are built from the inside out...UFA signings and trades for players with limited NTCs have had limited impact on the fortunes of most teams.  Off the top of my head, Butch Goring trade is the one that comes to my mind.  I'm sure there are a handful of others (Ray Bourque to Colorado) but I can't think of any others right now.

On the two recent Tampa Cup teams on Hedman was a drafted guy by them.  Their other top six D we either traded for or signed as UFAs.  

15 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Some huge parts of our 2011 team came out of signings--particularly Hamhuis. In addition, current players may be willing to take discounts for management they respect. If Horvat sees how the team trades Miller right after an extension, why would he give a discount to a management team so disloyal? I think in the long run, it's likely to cost more than it would save.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Some huge parts of our 2011 team came out of signings--particularly Hamhuis. In addition, current players may be willing to take discounts for management they respect. If Horvat sees how the team trades Miller right after an extension, why would he give a discount to a management team so disloyal? I think in the long run, it's likely to cost more than it would save.

Did Gillis bring in Hamhuis, Errhoff and Salo?  

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Hamhuis was signed as a ufa but Ehrhoff and Salo were traded for. 

Ah yes - the Schaeffer for Salo trade

I still remember his rookie camp where he persuaded all the non-NHLers at camp to dye their hair blonde.  Iirc there were over 30 players at camp with blonde hair

Maybe this is overreaction but can this team win with JT miller on the roster? I’m having a hard time connecting the dots between how management continuously talks about standards and details and culture and playing with structure and (after just signing the guy) Jt miller seems to be the epitome of all of this teams problems. I can live with a player not being good enough or playing to their standards, but the body language and the clear lack of pride I see from jt is alarming..like it’s not just the give aways or bad turnovers it’s how he reacts to that, it’s the fact that he’s not getting to the bench quickly or chasing down icings (even if you know you aren’t getting there in time). I’m genuinely of the belief that this is a better team if JT miller gets plucked off of waivers. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1