The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Colorado trades Soderberg to Arizona

Don't really like the trade for Colorado due to their lack of scoring all of their lines other than their top line... He had 50 points this year on his final year, was 5th in team scoring and not that much cost but they are likely dumping a contract because they are going to pay Rantenen and likely gonna toss out some big contracts.

Not sure what big name is out there that they will be able to get but I could see Gardiner as one target and maybe Anders Lee as I don't think Panarin wants to goto a city like Colorado.

Anyone know if they qualified their 2 RFA dmen Zadorov or Graves? (the RFA deadline ends at 5pm EST today)

30 minutes ago, Jaku said:

39(ish) million in cap space...

18 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

They have 5 forwards signed and I'm seeing just under 39 million in cap space. Rantanen is likely going to get paid well.

Rantanen, Compher, Kerfoot, Wilson, Zadorov, Varlamov are all gonna get significant raises from their previous contracts.  Once the dust settles, the Avs will probably have <10M in cap space.

• Thanks 1

With Soderberg out, they'll need a 3C.  I'm not familiar enough with the Av's depth players but I'm guessing Compher or Kerfoot might step in if they don't sign anyone to do that?  I thought both of those guys generally play wing however, even if they might have played C before.

They're also still thin at 2C.  Jost is presumably 2C but he had an underwhelming year last year (closed out 2017-2018 really well but didn't translate into momentum last season).

If the Av's do add Panarin though, they are going to be even more dangerous than they were this year.  Might even help them spread out the big line so that they're a bit more balanced.  They'll have Makar for the whole season and presumably Timmins will make the jump too.  They can decide what to do with Barrie at the TDL and may just keep him unless they're confident they can be as successful by trading him for future assets.

10 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I also don't know, but they did have a better record than we did last year.

Would you rather have our core players made up of: Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes and Demko or the Coyotes core made up of Keller, Chychrun, Schmaltz, Hayton and Kemper?

I personally would give the Canucks core an edge slightly. I also didn’t include the 1st round picks of the most recent draft classes.

Reason the Coyotes had a better record than us was that their experienced players out performed our experienced players. They were a better all around team than the Canucks last season. Hence it goes back to the comment JB made in an interview that teams win with core players age 26-35. Most of our 26-35 players from last season were mediocre at best. There was a significant scoring drop off after Bo, Boeser and EP on the team. There simply wasn’t enough support for our talented young players last season. With Miller acquisition and the last season’s late addition of Pearson (hope he can keep pace with his late season surge), the team hopefully can start to have 2 scoring lines and things will hopefully take a positive turn from here.

Just now, HKSR said:

Rantanen, Compher, Kerfoot, Wilson, Zadorov, Varlamov are all gonna get significant raises from their previous contracts.  Once the dust settles, the Avs will probably have <10M in cap space.

they wont sign Varlamov for sure. Grubauer was their #1 in the playoffs. They'll likely find a cost-effective decent backup in free agency

Really Rantanen and Kerfoot is their only player that will hit a decent or big contract. Compher / Wilson are around 30 point players. Zadorov prob maxes out at 4m.

They are moving cap out for some big names in UFA, offer sheet or trade market

10 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Colorado only have 5 forwards signed! Even if they sign all their RFA, they are still only at 10. They have some work to do there...

You know what they need? Some good veteran leadership... Eriksson AND Sutter for Tyson Barrie. :bigblush:

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Varlamov has expressed he wants a starting position. With Grubauer emerging in the playoffs  I'm not sure that Colorado can guarantee that.

Makes me wonder what Benning has up his sleeves to compete with Sakic and the other western GMs making big moves to improve. The Avs are setting up to build a dynasty.

Landeskog

Rantanen

McKinnon

Jost

Newhook

Kaut

Barrie

Byram

Makar

Helleson

etc. Ridiculous. 

I'm just impatient when I see other GMs making moves. Meanwhile, we're all waiting to see what Hutton and Schenn do, like it matters. I beleive Benning will sign 1-2 UFA Dmen, but I'm not very confident he'll be able to trade away Sutter, Eriksson and others that need to go. He'll spin it like: "We want good competition at camp for the young guys. Roster spots will need to be earned, blah blah".  

48 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

wow kconn moved again.

He has played 300nhl games not bad for a 3rd rounder. He took a while to develop and even though he isn't a game changer. Good on him for putting the work.

Seems like our US scouting hasn’t been THAT bad over the years (I’m talking pre-Benning period) at least compared to our Western Canada scouts (again, pre-Benning).  

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Makes me wonder what Benning has up his sleeves to compete with Sakic and the other western GMs making big moves to improve. The Avs are setting up to build a dynasty.

Landeskog

Rantanen

McKinnon

Jost

Newhook

Kaut

Barrie

Byram

Makar

Helleson

etc. Ridiculous. 

I'm just impatient when I see other GMs making moves. Meanwhile, we're all waiting to see what Hutton and Schenn do, like it matters. I beleive Benning will sign 1-2 UFA Dmen, but I'm not very confident he'll be able to trade away Sutter, Eriksson and others that need to go. He'll spin it like: "We want good competition at camp for the young guys. Roster spots will need to be earned, blah blah".  

I like how you list all of the Av's top players/prospects and then compare it to Sutter, Hutton, Schenn, Eriksson, etc. Maybe list our young talent instead.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Landeskog

Rantanen

McKinnon

Jost

Newhook

Kaut

Barrie

Byram

Makar

Helleson

etc. Ridiculous. 

you forgot Kerfoot and Girard ;)

but Jost has been pretty supbar in his career so far, 2 seasons 20-30 points. Not saying he's a bust or can't improve but more so saying that some of these guys won't live up to their hype / expectations or at the very least will take longer than the expected timeline.

Barrie also seems to be leaving next year so not sure i'd say he's part of the dynasty.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

AVs are going to be making a big push for Panarin now.

That team is gonna be ridiculous.

but they still need C depth.... I wonder if they have a line on Marcus Johansson too?