The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) best and worst Vancouver media members

Krumpalicious

15 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Is this actually Canucks talk though? 

CDC has finally come to this - talking about people instead of hockey as a forum.

Is it just me or is this the worst this site has been since 1998? 

Cheer up man. It’s almost July. It’s a topic to discuss other than Tyler Meyers and JT Miller. You don’t like it, press back

Alex Auld is probably the best analyst that's covering the Canucks now...  

TSN 1040 has been on a steady decline for the last decade.  Their whole lineup has been filled with guys that don't know anything about hockey but are pretending to be experts.  

5 hours ago, Krumpalicious said:

I apologize if I leave out any names but off the top of my head these are who I can remember. But who do you think is the most reliable and respected media member(s). As well as who is just out to lunch and frankly, even annoying with their coverage of the Canucks. 

Like i said off the top of my head I’m thinking of. Sekeras, price, Dan murphy, Ed willes, Ian Macintyre, riccio, janda, sat shaw, Alex auld, walker, rintoul, irfaan gafaar. (Sorry is there’s spelling errors)

my opinion is I really like listening to canucks central at noon with sat shaw and Alex auld. 

And  I think sekeres and price and irfan gafaar are the most annoying. Irf just seems out to lunch and leches off others info. And sekeres and prices callers are just annoying homer Canucks fans. 

Irfaan Gafur is the worst for me. I have to switch to 1040 when hes on air. He has zero credibility. He came on air to report that Aquaman did get in touch with Gillis about a reported offer back into the organization but struckout when Aquaman reported he hasnt talked to Gillis in years and doesnt plan to.

He also reported last friday that canucks will indeed trade the 10th overall pick but struckout. Now hes reporting that canucks will sign Meyers on monday.

Sportsnet if your reading this please ship this guy to Edmonton.

• Cheers 1

Alex Auld probably deserves something better than talk show host. To be sure, it is a great gig, but I feel like an NHL team should pick him up. Level-headed insight is wasted in talk radio. Hirsch is good, Harman Dayal is great, so is Ryan Biech (a former CDCer if I'm not mistaken). I like Wyatt Arndt some of the time. JD Burke is a miserable human and it impacts how he covers hockey. 

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Alex Auld is probably the best analyst that's covering the Canucks now...  

TSN 1040 has been on a steady decline for the last decade.  Their whole lineup has been filled with guys that don't know anything about hockey but are pretending to be experts.  

Better enjoy Auldy while we can, I have a feeling the guy is going to skyrocket up the pecking order and get picked up by one of the networks. Very talented, theres enough where his analysis has depth, and yet his spiel doesnt get too monotonous. He's probably next in line out of all the guys in the Vancouver media to make it big just like how Ferraro started doing the morning show in 1040 and ended up in TSN

I like Halford and Brough in the morning then usually swap over to Satiar Shah after that show ends then usually back to Sekeres and Price.  I find those 3 lineups, I enjoy their insiders and interviews most.

Halford is a soccer guy like me so I enjoy when he is talking about Whitecaps, etc. plus their Manager Monday is a nice segment I find.  Same with Sekeres and Price, I listen to them more for the interviews than anything else, not their biggest fans but I find their insiders good to listen too. Satiar Shah is probably one of my favorites in Vancouver Radio scene, was pissed when he left TSN1040 becuase 650 has a hard time getting connection where i live so unless I stream data constantly on my phone, 650 isn't easy to get in clearly.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Irfaan Gafur is the worst for me. I have to switch to 1040 when hes on air. He has zero credibility. He came on air to report that Aquaman did get in touch with Gillis about a reported offer back into the organization but struckout when Aquaman reported he hasnt talked to Gillis in years and doesnt plan to.

He also reported last friday that canucks will indeed trade the 10th overall pick but struckout. Now hes reporting that canucks will sign Meyers on monday.

Sportsnet if your reading this please ship this guy to Edmonton.

I have a feeling the last one is coming true if every insider across the country is saying the same thing unfortunately. 

Best: Auld, and it is not even close

Worst: Sekeres. I used to really like him. Once 1040 lost the broadcast rights, he became a bitter, anti-Canuck management host. He (and others on that station) decided to try the "American" style of talk radio - go for "entertainment" rather than journalism. 

Favourite guest: Ferraro.

Deserve accolades: Rob Fai who does the Vancouver Canadians broadcasts on 650, and Tom Mayenknecht with the business side of sports on 1040

I dont mind most of these guys, they all bring different perspectives.  I prefer the old school guys like Taylor, still remember him during the glory days of Sportspage.  Sometimes I even miss the old Sports Talk show with Dan Russell.  Hell, even Pratt was good for a laugh or two if you put him in context...its like when you watch TMZ you dont expect a BBC caliber news broadcast.

Worst:  J D Burke.  He knows his stuff, I just find that there is a tone of arrogance and smugness about him.  Everything is reduced to stats and spreadsheets with little consideration about the human element in the game.

17 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Is this actually Canucks talk though? 

CDC has finally come to this - talking about people instead of hockey as a forum.

Is it just me or is this the worst this site has been since 1998? 

At least it's not someone going "Benning sucks because I know everything because I watched a game last season!" ;)

I'd much rather be reading this thread than those threads. lol

Edited by The Lock

5 hours ago, Russ said:

I have a feeling the last one is coming true if every insider across the country is saying the same thing unfortunately. 

And, unfortunately, if it does come true, he'll be able to chest pump about having 1 in 3 accuracy. It's kind of sad really.

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

At least it's not someone going "Benning sucks because I know everything because I watched a game last season!" ;)

I'd much rather be reading this thread than those threads. lol

Is it Canucks talk though?

I don’t think it is. This is “talk” about other people who talk about hockey, including the Canucks. 

Whether you or I enjoy the dialogue within the thread is not my point, as I’m sure you understand. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Is it Canucks talk though?

I don’t think it is. This is “talk” about other people who talk about hockey, including the Canucks. 

Whether you or I enjoy the dialogue within the thread is not my point, as I’m sure you understand. 

I don't see why it isn't Canucks Talk to be honest. It's about the media talking about Canucks. Sure they talk about other sports, but how would it be any different than talking about our players' golf swings?

In my opinion, as long as it's linked to the Canucks in some way and doesn't have it's own category already, then it should be fine for Canucks talk (and even if it does have it's own category sometimes that's fine). We need variety in here and it gets stale otherwise.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't see why it isn't Canucks Talk to be honest. It's about the media talking about Canucks. Sure they talk about other sports, but how would it be any different than talking about our players' golf swings?

In my opinion, as long as it's linked to the Canucks in some way and doesn't have it's own category already, then it should be fine for Canucks talk (and even if it does have it's own category sometimes that's fine). We need variety in here and it gets stale otherwise.

Hey, we have a Burrows thread. 

Why not a media thread? 

These media guys write or speak about the NHL, not just the Canucks. IMO, there’s an NHL thread for that stuff. 

I’m not picking this as a hill to die on, that’s for sure. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Quantum said:

Folks I like: Ray Ferraro, Rick Dhaliwal, Jeff Paterson, Ian MacIntyre, Kevin Woodley, Jon Abbott, Jawn Jang, Auldy, Satiar Shah, Harman Dayal, Daniel Wagner (Pass it to Bulis is a great read still and fills a bit of a hole left by Botchford, who was my favorite Canucks media personality RIP Botch), Cory Hergott (his Comets work on CanucksArmy is A+ and he deserves more recognition, he goes by Comets Cory on twitter).

The worst: JD Burke (He literally muttered in the lastest episode of his TSN podcast RinkWide how much he hates to "cover this team"), Price & Sekeres (the bitterness is hard to stomach), Brough & Halford (They can be enjoyable but they also get lost in the negativity), Tony Gallagher, Dave Pratt (oh boy were his takes bad)

8 hours ago, Russ said:

I like Halford and Brough in the morning then usually swap over to Satiar Shah after that show ends then usually back to Sekeres and Price.  I find those 3 lineups, I enjoy their insiders and interviews most.

Halford is a soccer guy like me so I enjoy when he is talking about Whitecaps, etc. plus their Manager Monday is a nice segment I find.  Same with Sekeres and Price, I listen to them more for the interviews than anything else, not their biggest fans but I find their insiders good to listen too. Satiar Shah is probably one of my favorites in Vancouver Radio scene, was pissed when he left TSN1040 becuase 650 has a hard time getting connection where i live so unless I stream data constantly on my phone, 650 isn't easy to get in clearly.

My favorite is Daniel Wagner (Pass It To Bulis) who does a great job despite working for a minor outlet (Vancouver Courier) and not having much in the way of preferential access to the Canucks. (Good analysis with humour.)

I also agree that Cory Hergott does a good job with Comets coverage (and I am grateful that someone does).

I like Halford and Brough as well -- both amusing and analytical.

I really appreciate how hard RIck Dhaliwal works to get information. His tweets may be the best single source out there.

I dislike Andrew Walker, who I find both arrogant and superficial. Also not a big ban of BMac for the same reason. In general I dislike radio hosts who spend time giving their opinions on movies, music, and other aspects of popular culture. The level is usually about that of a conversation over beer (and after a few rounds) and I want to listen to discussion of sports, not their opinions about music.