The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Montreal Offer Sheets Aho

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

Once Carolina matches this I call them up and offer a package around Horvat for Aho.

They can't trade him for a year. 

By then half his contract will be paid. 

He's staying in CAR for 5 yrs. Maybe trade deadline his 5th year he gets moved. 

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

"Lol" at people that don't understand the utility of doing this even if the Canes match.

This is a team in their conference that they just threw a gut punch into.

1) He's making a small-market owner open the wallet big time, up front.

2) He's forcing Carolina to accept a 5 year term that makes Aho a UFA in his prime.

It may not be 'brotherly' - but it's a competitive league - not everyone plays nice.

The Habs may need to watch their back, but the point isn't simply a fail if Carolina matches - the Habs just effectively took away Carolina's ability to negotiate the kind of terms they wanted.

Yeah thanks for breaking it down for me bro.  Fully aware of these points already.

• Upvote 1

Question:

I realize that Carolina can't deal Aho for a year - but can they deal him in the interim - the next week - before matching that offersheet?

It would be interesting whether there would be a window there to offer Carolina more realistic market value, acquire Aho, and then match the offersheet?

Probably not a possiblity because the player has signed an offersheet with a particular franchise of their choosing, but I don't know whether this freezes Carolina's options even in the week in the interim.

Edited by oldnews

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

"Lol" at people that don't understand the utility of doing this even if the Canes match.

This is a team in their conference that they just threw a gut punch into.

1) He's making a small-market owner open the wallet big time, up front.

2) He's forcing Carolina to accept a 5 year term that makes Aho a UFA in his prime.

It may not be 'brotherly' - but it's a competitive league - not everyone plays nice.

The Habs may need to watch their back, but the point isn't simply a fail if Carolina matches - the Habs just effectively took away Carolina's ability to negotiate the kind of terms they wanted.

You're exactly right.  Canes ownership has been notoriously cheap.  Asking an open offer for a coach with a cap limit of $400,000 a year.  Shipping out management and players due to salary demands.

That is a HUGE amount upfront that ownership might just say screw that too.

It also does Aho that favour of making him a UFA at contracts end.

Honestly, in terms of putting the screws to a team this one is huge.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I don't know why Montréal bothered with such a low offer. 

FAKE NEWS!!!

Aho getting paid all the way UFA, you lost any control you had on the asset. If they match teams handicapped, they already paid him the worth of the contract in signing bonuses. if they trade him they gotta pay someone else when they trade him. team doesn't even make money. I think he's gone

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Dundon bailed out AAF with 250 million line of credit couple months ago. He's definetly not letting Aho go because he has to pay 20 mill 1st 2 years out of 5 year deal. 

Easy decision. 

MTL should have gone higher to at least have a chance at this.

But shouldn’t that be the writing on the wall for Carolina?

Where’s the Buisness sense throwing 250m to save a team that apparently gate revenues can’t support the Cap.. ?

Perhaps its time to move out of Carolina ..  Go to Quebec with a 1st , 2nd, and 3rd pick in your back pocket.. 

The League and NHLPA should support ownership in a move like this..

and if Carolina was calculated enough.. do it in a strong draft year.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

But shouldn’t that be the writing on the wall for Carolina?

Where’s the Buisness sense throwing 250m to save a team that apparently gate revenues can’t support the Cap.. ?

Perhaps its time to move out of Carolina ..  Go to Quebec with a 1st , 2nd, and 3rd pick in your back pocket.. 

The League and NHLPA should support ownership in a move like this.

Why not keep Aho, and move to Quebec City? 

10 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

yup teams are in high demand for a player who scored 10 goals last year, 5 of them being empty betters. At 4 million I see many teams lining up to take him :lol: :lol: :lol: 

That’s why there would be a pick and a prospect involved.

No one said anything about teams lining up but you. 

Enough derailing this thread though.

Edited by DeNiro

Looks like Aho wants to be a Hab if not now then in 5 yrs. 

Think MTL knows offer sheet will be matched but Aho goes there as UFA in 5 years in middle of his prime at age 26..

Looks like Habs and Aho playing the long game. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're exactly right.  Canes ownership has been notoriously cheap.  Asking an open offer for a coach with a cap limit of $400,000 a year.  Shipping out management and players due to salary demands.

That is a HUGE amount upfront that ownership might just say screw that too.

It also does Aho that favour of making him a UFA at contracts end.

Honestly, in terms of putting the screws to a team this one is huge.

Yes - a body blow may not win you a fight, but even so, it's a body blow, and it aint the end of the fight...

This could and likely will have domino effects that hurt Carolina - and a weakened opponent in your conference is a gain, whether or not it's an internal Habs gain.

It may be a dog eat dog approach, but it's also fair game, and with a volatile (imo) owner like Carolina's I'm not surprised that the Habs would take a poke.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Bergevin dropping bombs :lol:

This is going to be a big swing and a miss for Bergevin when he has to wait 7 days to see the Canes match and then all the free agents are gone.

Bergevin likely won’t even be GM when Aho reaches free agency.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Question:

I realize that Carolina can't deal Aho for a year - but can they deal him in the interim - the next week - before matching that offersheet?

It would be interesting whether there would be a window there to offer Carolina more realistic market value, acquire Aho, and then match the offersheet?

Probably not a possiblity because the player has signed an offersheet with a particular franchise of their choosing, but I don't know whether this freezes Carolina's options even in the week in the interim.

Good question but i dont believe they can.