The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Vegas looking to trade Nikita Gusev

Just now, Alflives said:

Gusev is a play making winger, who drives play.  He’d be great with Bo.  The cost could be what though?  Picks?  

Either draft picks or Gusev’s rights plus a cap dump, ala Reeves, Eakin, or Stastny for a low cap hit Dman.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gusev is a play making winger, who drives play.  He’d be great with Bo.  The cost could be what though?  Picks?  

Probably a 2nd round pick and a good prospect depending on how the scouts think Gusev's game will translate over to the NHL.

Pearson  Horvat  Gusev

Why not.....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

it would have to be picks and/or prospects. Which we could give them, but I think this is another situation where a team doesn't want to make a division rival better. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

Igor Eronko of Sport-Express explains on Twitter that Gusev is looking for a two-year, $8MM deal while the Golden Knights want to sign him for half of that total.

What are you/we willing to pay ? 2 years 8mln ? Too much or about right ?

That seems about right.  As mentioned previously, Panarin got $3.5m when the cap was $10m lower.

8 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

Igor Eronko of Sport-Express explains on Twitter that Gusev is looking for a two-year, $8MM deal while the Golden Knights want to sign him for half of that total.

I would pay that with Aquaman's money.

It would be all about the trade cost though.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

Market value

Vegas is lowballing.

Gusev is only looking for two years - that's fair.  Pay it.

4 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

How about a 3 way trade?

To VAN: Gusev

Conditional 1st (if Gusev doesn't sign, we take VGK 2020 1st)

OTT 2020 3rd

To: OTT: Eriksson (from VAN)

Schaller (from VAN)

Eakin (from VGK)

To VGK: SJS 2020 1st (from OTT)

Palmu (from VAN)

So a 1st round pick and Gusev for Palmu, Eriksson and Shaller.  

2 cap dumps and a low quality long shot prospects.  

Do people even even think before they say these things?  

It would cost us a 1st and a good prospect just to get rid of those contracts. 

• Upvote 3

NOBODY WANTS ERIKSSON!  

Jesus guys, we don’t even want him.  

He has hugely negative value. 

When you add him into your proposals, you need to add to pay the team to take him away.  We won’t be getting a damn thing for him, other than maybe a cap hit because we need to retain on his contract.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

How about a 3 way trade?

To VAN: Gusev

Conditional 1st (if Gusev doesn't sign, we take VGK 2020 1st)

OTT 2020 3rd

To: OTT: Eriksson (from VAN)

Schaller (from VAN)

Eakin (from VGK)

To VGK: SJS 2020 1st (from OTT)

Palmu (from VAN)           

So let me get this right....Canucks give up Eriksson, Schaller and Palmu and they get Gusev, a conditional 1st, and a 3rd??

HAHAHA......sign me up!!!!!!  Give me a hit off that bong too!!

• Haha 4

Or, y'know, Vegas could just send Gusev to the Sens and have them take Clarkson's contract as payment and cut us out of it completely, as A) we don't have the cap space to sign him, and B] there's no way in hell Vegas will trade him to a division rival unless it's a massive overpayment on our end.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

So a 1st round pick and Gusev for Palmu, Eriksson and Shaller.  

2 cap dumps and a low quality long shot prospects.  

Do people even even think before they say these things?  

It would cost us a 1st and a good prospect just to get rid of those contracts. 

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So let me get this right....Canucks give up Eriksson, Schaller and Palmu and they get Gusev, a conditional 1st, and a 3rd??

HAHAHA......sign me up!!!!!!  Give me a hit off that bong too!!

I'm not sure you read it properly. not gusev and a first. we would only get the first if gusev didn't sign. so it would be gusev OR a 1st and a 3rd. 

And i'll give you a hit only if you ask nicely, haha

Edited by Chickenspear

2 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I'm not sure you read it properly. not gusev and a first. we would only get the first if gusev didn't sign. so it would be gusev OR a 1st and a 3rd. 

And i'll give you a hit if only if you ask nicely, haha

Even if it’s either or, it’s still way out to lunch.    

It would cost us min a 1st to get someone to take Eriksson (look at what it cost for Marleau, and his contract was great compared to LE). 

Then you add Shaller, who is barely an NHL player getting almost 2 mill. That wouldn’t be free either. 

You are trying to buy good players with negative value.  

3 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

It would cost us min a 1st to get someone to take Eriksson (look at what it cost for Marleau, and his contract was great compared to LE). 

Then you add Shaller, who is barely an NHL player getting almost 2 mill. That wouldn’t be free either. 

Fair enough. Part of me just wants schaller gone. And I'm a little greedy. But I think there could be something in a 3 way trade that would work for all 3 teams.

28 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’m hopeful JB can work out a way to trade Loui that doesn’t cost us too much.  I expect though, that Loui ends up in Utica.  He can then choose if it’s worth the remaining dollars to ride buses, or to retire.  I think he chooses to retire.  That’s the end game I expect.  I do hope we can trade his sorry a$$ before then.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m hopeful JB can work out a way to trade Loui that doesn’t cost us too much.  I expect though, that Loui ends up in Utica.  He can then choose if it’s worth the remaining dollars to ride buses, or to retire.  I think he chooses to retire.  That’s the end game I expect.  I do hope we can trade his sorry a$$ before then.  

I think that the cost here - if you're dealing with a team like Ottawa (not selling Marleaus to contenders here that are trying to compete themselves)  - but the value of the 'dump' is more in the range of 3 million, than 6 million - and for a team like Ottawa, salare is an important factor, and the cap floor could remain a factor for them.

I think the proposal I made earlier is not far-fetched, even the 3 way.

Van = Gusev, Reaves dump

Ottawa = Baer, Goldy, LE

Vegas = Smith, 3rd, and Schaller with cap retention, 3rd.

Value wise -

Baer (still easily worth the 2nd he cost imo), Goldy maybe worth a 3rd, eating Reaves contract, perhaps another 3rd in value, Schaller at 950k = inconsequential waivable cap hit but cheap, serviceable depth.  So equivalent of 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, to move LE and get Gusev.  Optimistic for sure, but Vegas has no leverage, and Ottawa gets two good young forwards and a cheap LE cap hit (1million for 6 million, 9 for 18 over 3).

Vegas - Smith with retention worth a 2ndish, moving Reaves worth  a 3rdish, + our 3rd round pick - not bad for an asset they can't afford, that they poached in the first place in the expansion draft, and got a 2nd round and 4th  along with him to take Garrison.

Give or take, change the form, but there's a decent structure there.

• Upvote 1