The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Vegas looking to trade Nikita Gusev

2 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

I have to admit it's not a unaccur comparaison

that is not a 'comparison' above, in the sense that is it not an equation of that group to St Louis -

again - it's not a 'comparaison' - it's regards the way the top 6 is built - the mix, the types of players - the attributes.

I think you appear to have missed the point while sidetracking on whether you consider 'comparaisons' to be sensible.   Your subsequent "lack of gifted forwards" pretty much confirms that.

Ironically, as that poster pointed out - even on the grounds you sidetracked to, it doesn't appear that far-fetched.

And it's not as though they haven't drafted any gifted prospects - Podkolzin, Hoglander, Gaudette, (and a few others I would not force 'ceilings' on at this point) - the Canucks have some skilled forwards in the system, in addition to a few game breakers already in their lineup.

Edited by oldnews

Vegas is over the cap. We are under yet are expected to give up "sweeteners" to move some players?

We would have to move out a couple of players first; but we still should keep our offers low as they need to move someone out to get under the cap.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

VAN

Gusev

VGK

2nd

that would be a sweet deal. my question would be how do we afford to get Gusev under the cap, and not have signed Boeser yet? 

We'd need to jettison both Sutter and Eriksson if this were to happen, no? 

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

that would be a sweet deal. my question would be how do we afford to get Gusev under the cap, and not have signed Boeser yet? 

You got it.

51 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Could also trade Sutter, Baertschi, and Schaller. If we weren’t at all fussy about the returns, I think we could move all of those contacts without too much grief. That would easily clear enough space to sign Boeser (and also Goldobin), add Gusev, and keep Gaudette up as well. We’d even have enough cap space to carry Eriksson this season, if necessary, until the right deal could be made (maybe at the TDL) to dump his cap as well.

• Cheers 1

On 7/13/2019 at 8:43 AM, N7Nucks said:

Maybe people's assessment of "who he should be" is misguided. Not to mention how is Gaudette a 3rd liner but Jake needs to prove more? I really don't understand CDC when it comes to Jake.

Well it was the coaching staff’s assessment of “who he should be” that I posted... and that they hope he should be a top 6 winger but maybe he isn’t.  

You are arguing that he is a top six guy AND it is unfair to have those hopes for him?

Virtanen has played 210 NHL games over four seasons, Gaudette has played 61 games effectively all in one season.

You get to have different expectations of guys at different points in their career.  If Gaudette hasn’t progressed a couple seasons from now, he will be getting judged more harshly too.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:01 PM, brian42 said:

Get creative and work hard Benning no more excuses, Luongo penalty kick in the shins etc. etc.  

Someone's a member of the Tony Gallagher fan club.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:01 PM, brian42 said:

look at the leafs wheel and deal

For sure, let's move out some 1st round picks for cap space, too.

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2019 at 11:51 PM, Provost said:

Do you really think that the coaches are just keeping him lower in he lineup for fun?

They have been desperate for the player everyone wants him to turn out to be.  They signed Miller and Ferland because they don’t have it.

He isn’t going to get gifted anything, and when (If) he decides he wants to earn it, the path is pretty simple for him.

He hasn’t even solidified himself as a 3rd liner, never mind top 6.  He has had a career high of 25 points with 15 minutes per game average ice time including on the PP.  Loui Eriksson and Roussell out produced him in his “career year”.

He could just be Taylor Pyatt and not Cam Neely.... or maybe it will take a couple of stops to figure it out.

If I'm going for a Virtanen comparable I'm going for Steve Bernier just could never live up to this fanbases idea of who he should become. They longed for him to become a dominant goalscoring pwf. He was undervalued and berated until he finally went to NJ where he was appreciated for the player he was not the player he wasn't and ended up being a very useful part of their cup run. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Well it was the coaching staff’s assessment of “who he should be” that I posted... and that they hope he should be a top 6 winger but maybe he isn’t.  

You are arguing that he is a top six guy AND it is unfair to have those hopes for him?

Virtanen has played 210 NHL games over four seasons, Gaudette has played 61 games effectively all in one season.

You get to have different expectations of guys at different points in their career.  If Gaudette hasn’t progressed a couple seasons from now, he will be getting judged more harshly too.

It's hard being a local born player on the Canucks. 

Jake can be a very good player in the league, but he may not be the kind of player many of the fanbase is hoping for. Middle six player he definitely already is. He's a strong forechecker, and he led the team, if I'm not mistaken, in take-aways. He can steal pucks away from the opposition almost with ease. But what he does with the puck after he gets is, is another question entirely. It often dies on his stick. I get the feeling we haven't seen the best of Virtanen just yet, so I'm loathe to give up on him, yet. 

But there will come a time when the Canucks will probably either think he's just a bottom six player, and that's where his role on the team will be, or he will flourish offensively before getting to that point in his career. I think he can hit 45, maybe 50 points in his very best offensive output. Not the offensive player I think many were hoping he would eventually become. is he a disappointment at 6th overall? yeah, he is. we all know that. but if he can be a serviceable NHL player, I think we'd have to settle for that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It's hard being a local born player on the Canucks. 

Jake can be a very good player in the league, but he may not be the kind of player many of the fanbase is hoping for. Middle six player he definitely already is. He's a strong forechecker, and he led the team, if I'm not mistaken, in take-aways. He can steal pucks away from the opposition almost with ease. But what he does with the puck after he gets is, is another question entirely. It often dies on his stick. I get the feeling we haven't seen the best of Virtanen just yet, so I'm loathe to give up on him, yet. 

But there will come a time when the Canucks will probably either think he's just a bottom six player, and that's where his role on the team will be, or he will flourish offensively before getting to that point in his career. I think he can hit 45, maybe 50 points in his very best offensive output. Not the offensive player I think many were hoping he would eventually become. is he a disappointment at 6th overall? yeah, he is. we all know that. but if he can be a serviceable NHL player, I think we'd have to settle for that. 

I don’t think Jake has found his best linemates yet (although they may already be on the team and just haven’t clicked yet), as far as chemistry and complimentary skillsets, but when he does, I think he could be a really valuable player.

You look at his tracking data and there’s some pretty special stuff in there.

1C7A6EF5-B955-4205-8742-6BCB4CA70884.jpeg.7f9dc768d39ce14b7b9a119524ffd1fc.jpeg

His ability to create possession entries and shots is quite remarkable (90th and 98th percentile, respectively, in the NHL).

He just needs to play with linemates (and in a defined role) that can make the most of these contributions. If that ever clicks for Jake, look out.

And I’m actually still quite optimistic it will come together one day. Virtanen has the potential to be a highly valuable component of a very high end forward line. He just needs the right linemates around him, so he can truly play to his strengths (some of which are actually elite). 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I don’t think Jake has found his best linemates yet (although they may already be on the team and just haven’t clicked yet), as far as chemistry and complimentary skillsets, but when he does, I think he could be a really valuable player.

You look at his tracking data and there’s some pretty special stuff in there.

1C7A6EF5-B955-4205-8742-6BCB4CA70884.jpeg.7f9dc768d39ce14b7b9a119524ffd1fc.jpeg

His ability to create possession entries and shots is quite remarkable (90th and 98th percentile, respectively, in the NHL).

He just needs to play with linemates (and in a defined role) that can make the most of these contributions. If that ever clicks for Jake, look out.

And I’m actually still quite optimistic it will come together one day. Virtanen has the potential to be a highly valuable component of a very high end forward line. He just needs the right linemates around him, so he can truly play to his strengths (some of which are actually elite). 

I’d also like to see Jake get some serious PK time. I think he has natural skills for being an effective penalty killer. With Roussel on LTIR it is a perfect opportunity to give Jake the responsibility to hone his PK skills.

Beagle, Sutter, Motte will be main PK forwards with Roussel out. I’d prefer to keep LE out of the lineup completely and I don’t see other potential bottom 6ers such as Leivo, Pearson, Baer as natural PKers.

This could be a great chance for Jake to add a new dimension to his game. He would be a pain to give the puck away to, try and catch him on the breakaway!