The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What the Nylander contract negotiations taught the agents of all these RFAs and how it can really affect the Canucks cap issue. I highly suggest for all to read this.

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

I think your forgetting a big part dumb@$$ should have traded willy... Cap management the Hawks traded players they knew they couldn't afford and got back picks or players on contracts they could work with....so let's say in your world Boeser wants more money then Jim is offering then trade him , plain and simple....don't get me wrong Boeser I like him and heck of a player but hate to say it but his replacable, before I get strung up just listen.

his a scorer and that's about it his no patty Kane or even Mitch marner....those guys can carry a line them selves. I do believe his a core piece if the dollars work out but Petey and bo are core pieces no matter what....

• Upvote 1

If Boeser wants to take a year off for holding out, let him wreck is own career.  Nylander definitely will be black-balled in the future by almost every team in the league.  Summer is early, a deal will get done, and it will be reasonable

JB "i'm not a patient man" or something to that extent. 

If I'm JB I want to get a deal done asap playoffs on the line. If I'm Boeser I want to get a deal done ASAP so I can be a part of that. Hug it out already. Boeser take a cap friendly deal you haven't earned the big payday yet. JB draw up a contract with incentive to earn that payday we think hes capable of. 

Poke poke!

Edited by hammertime

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I will explain why it is good For RFAs to hold out,

Have you ever considered that perhaps, just maybe... players actually love and want to play the game and win?  And maybe the money isn't the #1 thing for most of them?  Yeah fine, they could ALL just hold out then, screw all their teams over, and get those few extra bucks for sitting out while their teammates were busting their butts out on the ice.  "Hey guys, I really put the screws to management and finally got all the moolah I wanted, gonna come play now so we can send that league-minimum guy who was working his tail off back to the minors now that I'm set for years.  Drinks are on me on my yacht after the game!"  Yeah, that goes over real well with the rest of the boys.

Sounds a lot more like the typical BC union-management/government antagonism and catfights where each is trying to screw over and milk every drop out of the other they can.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

forgot to put this in for those that say wait Boeser would miss training camp that's not true a player can opt to go to training camp or opt out. Most players opt out well they have no contract but a player can actually go to training camp if he so wishes.

That’s fine that you think the RFA’s and their Agents learned something from the Nylander holdout/signing..

But what do you think Ownership and Team Management learned?. .  I don’t think you will ever see that outcome again.

7 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

forgot to put this in for those that say wait Boeser would miss training camp that's not true a player can opt to go to training camp or opt out. Most players opt out well they have no contract but a player can actually go to training camp if he so wishes.

lol

Boeser: "Hey Canucks, I'm not going to sign a contract with you because I'm going to hold out for more money like Arrow 1983 suggested me to do. But! I'm going to come to camp so that I can train with the guys. I know the media will pester me with questions like when am I going to sign and stuff but I don't mind. And I know that this makes me look desperate and lose whatever leverage that I had by not showing up at camp but whatever."

Opening night rolls around,

Boeser: "Hey coach, put me in. I want to play so that I keep myself in game shape and be ready for when and if I sign the contract. According to a CDC poster, it should be around December like Nylander did. Somehow that allows me to maximize my earnings? I actually didn't read the whole post but I saw Nylander's name there so I assumed he is suggesting me to copy what Nylander did."

JB: (thinking to himself) "Yes! We got Boeser signed playing for free! Thank you Arrow 1983!!"

2020 June 23rd NHL awards. Alex Ovechkin wins the Rocket Richard with 50 goals but the NHL decided to put an asterisk next to his name on the record book. Brock Boeser scored 70 goals but he scored 21 of those from October to December when he hadn't signed the contract yet. He is the real Rocket Richard winner.

A sad ending for Brock. lol

Edited by khay
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

I find the posts about Boeser’s “character” to be a bit naive. I would say he’d be an idiot to hold out like Nylander did, because it didn’t turn out well for the player, at all. The Toronto fans will turn on him in a second now, and the need to perform is even greater than it would have been if he just signed. He missed a big chunk of hockey, and I’m sure it played on his mind badly.

But this is a business, and the team and player are negotiating a deal. It’s not good “character” to say, screw it, I’ll take whatever I’m offered and run with it. It might be smart to not want to go through the additional hassle if you don’t feel it’s quite what you want,, but that’s a whole other argument with yourself.

Gordie Howe got diddled for years by just accepting what was offered, without pushing back. Was that character? The popular opinion seems to be that he was naive. So Boeser will do what’s right for Boeser, I would think. One hopes he won’t be greedy, that they can agree on a good level that makes both sides happy. But that’s not always the way contract negotiations go.

• Cheers 3