The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Unfortunate for Ferland, but lucky for him he's not just some goon who is relied upon just to drop the gloves. The guy as some skill as well, and can still play a big role. Clifford is a big dude, and got one good shot in (knocking off Ferland's helmet). Hopefully he's okay and recovers.

so exactly what role will Furley play now that he's not a deterrent with fighting?  When there's a scrum, and he's involved how much with other guys respect his presence?  Yes, he has skill, but does he have the skill of Baer?  Tough guys, who can no longer provide that part of the game, are pretty much done. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

That's his 3rd concussion I believe. His last was around this time last year in Carolina. Missed around 10 games.

I viewed the fight a few times, and other than the punch that got his helmet knocked off, none of the other punches looked bad. It may be a result of all of these past concussions adding up (see Baertschi). Very concerned for guys that suffer multiple concussions - especially one like Ferland who is expected to play a tough guy role.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

How effective is our nuclear deterrent if he can't explode?  I love Furley, but wonder if he's (now) a bomb that doesn't explode?  

Well to me he adds depth against heavier teams, like against the caps. Thats where he is needed, to create space in front of the oposing net, winning battles for positioning etc. This type of powerforward is needed in order to stir things up. Yes, in modern hockey its mainly about speed and skill, but it will be much easier for heavier oposition that are skilled and tactical to outmaneuver those that dont have that type muscle/weight/style needed. I definetly see him as an important piece on the team for those reasons.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

so exactly what role will Furley play now that he's not a deterrent with fighting?  When there's a scrum, and he's involved how much with other guys respect his presence?  Yes, he has skill, but does he have the skill of Baer?  Tough guys, who can no longer provide that part of the game, are pretty much done. 

Too many questions Alf. Time to do some critical thinking instead of padding your post counts ;) :towel::P

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

How effective is our nuclear deterrent if he can't explode?  I love Furley, but wonder if he's (now) a bomb that doesn't explode?  

This is like someone applying for a job, must lift 50lbs., then they blow their back.  Now what?  Hockey is a violent sport,  if these guys are getting multiple concussions on seemingly tame hits should they even be playing?  

48 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Too many questions Alf. Time to do some critical thinking instead of padding your post counts ;) :towel::P

or not enough answers

It only seems to be one question that I see

and a whole bunch of denial

21 minutes ago, nergish said:

I'm just confused. At which point in this does he get 'concussed'?

Did any punch even connect?

I more confused, didn't you see his helmet get knocked off, and if so why are you asking if any punch connected?

1 hour ago, nergish said:

I'm just confused. At which point in this does he get 'concussed'?

Did any punch even connect?

There was a quick one at the beginning that landed on his chin, nothing else really hit him square.

What’s concerning is with how little it took to concuss him this time, he’s probably one small hit/ solid punch away from being forced to retire due to head injuries.

Knowing what we know now about head injuries, the Canucks may just be (rightfully) cautious.  We have the forward depth to cover him -- MacEwen and Gaudette could use some time in the bottom six, while Goldobin and Baertschi deserve another shot in the top six.  Let him go through the proper protocols, we need him in April more than we need him in November. 

Ferland had at least one serious concussion last season.  He thought he had recovered, tried playing a game or two in the preseason this year, then had to sit out with an unidentified "illness".  He tried to start the regular season on schedule, but everyone could see that he just wasn't himself.  My guess is that he had post-concussion syndrome all along, maybe exacerbated by something that happened to him in the preseason, and this is why it took so little for him to get concussed again in the fight with Clifford -- really just having his brain jostled around without even taking a direct blow to the head.  Unfortunately, this reminds me a bit of when Todd Fedoruk tried to make a comeback on a preseason try-out with the Canucks a few years back, as well as when Dorsett tried his comeback.  Either he's going to have to take a really long time off to finally recover from his concussions or may never come back, at least not as the physically dominating player and skilled pugilist that he used to be.

17 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Ferland had at least one serious concussion last season.  He thought he had recovered, tried playing a game or two in the preseason this year, then had to sit out with an unidentified "illness".  He tried to start the regular season on schedule, but everyone could see that he just wasn't himself.  My guess is that he had post-concussion syndrome all along, maybe exacerbated by something that happened to him in the preseason, and this is why it took so little for him to get concussed again in the fight with Clifford -- really just having his brain jostled around without even taking a direct blow to the head.  Unfortunately, this reminds me a bit of when Todd Fedoruk tried to make a comeback on a preseason try-out with the Canucks a few years back, as well as when Dorsett tried his comeback.  Either he's going to have to take a really long time off to finally recover from his concussions or may never come back, at least not as the physically dominating player and skilled pugilist that he used to be.

actually Ferland himself has said he is already feeling better, I think they are just keeping him out as a precaution, he will be back soon enough

6 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Sounds plausible enough except for one thing. His training camp illness caused him to lose a substantial amount of weight in a short period of time. Can post concussion syndrome do that?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bree2 said:

actually Ferland himself has said he is already feeling better, I think they are just keeping him out as a precaution, he will be back soon enough

...except that he is on IR, correct? Doesn't make it sound like they expect him back any time soon...

42 minutes ago, kloubek said:

...except that he is on IR, correct? Doesn't make it sound like they expect him back any time soon...

It takes about a week to go through all the stages of concussion protocol and IR is minimum 7 days.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1