The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

Ding ding ding, Ferland like Jake will be worth their weight in gold come playoffs. The team is doing well, best thing we can hope for now is Ferland comes back fully healthy.

Alf I hate your basketball takes, but more often then not I agree with you when it comes to hockey talk.

Sat Sri Akal my fellow Canuck.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Every player goes through a physical at the end of the year and one at the beginning of the next year that both the player and team must sign off on.  The reason is to prevent players from claiming injuries from non hockey related injuries suffered in the offseason.  If Ferland was concussed this whole time then both the Hurricanes and the Canuck training staff missed it, I find that unlikely.  

Brain injuries are complicated though, sometimes you start to feel better and then regress.  I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hate to make this comparison of sorts, but I can`t help seeing the subtle similarities. This kind of reminds me of Loui. Benning brought Eriksson in to play with the team`s best Swedes on the top line. Loui has been unable to get close to his 30 goal season in BOS, and is now considered an expensive 13th forward. He`s never lived up to expectations, and may be untradeable.

Benning also brought in Ferland, who produced 40 points a season over the last two years and was considered one of the leagues tough guys, and who would play with the team`s best Swede on the top line. Ferland has struggled to produce so far, and now he`s out with a concussion (his 4th?). He was taken off the top line early in the season and has struggled to find his groove. 

Can Ferland get back on track? 

Loui has played poorly for three years. His only skill was scoring and he has been unable to do it.

Schaller's first year sucked. But now he is playing exactly like the guy JB brought in....after a full year.

Ferland has played TWELVE games. He was brought in because he can agitate, play tough, and put up some points. He has ONLY played 12 games. Give it time  Captain Premature!!   ::D

Edit: I see zero in common between Loui and Ferland...like nothing.  Even less than that.....nada......

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

It sucks Ferland is out (again) and unfortunate that he hasn't got up to speed with his typical scoring touch and havoc-wreaking nature.

But I still support the signing and maintain we will benefit from having him in our lineup. Come playoff time, I guarantee he will be a difference maker for us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

It sucks Ferland is out (again) and unfortunate that he hasn't got up to speed with his typical scoring touch and havoc-wreaking nature.

But I still support the signing and maintain we will benefit from having him in our lineup. Come playoff time, I guarantee he will be a difference maker for us.

As we know from experience, he is the kind of player that can make a big impact in the playoffs.  But he should be able to make a big impact in the regular season too.  Something has been keeping him from doing that, and if he can't get past that  'something', he won't be able to help us in the playoffs anymore than he is right now.

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Something has been keeping him from doing that, and if he can't get past that  'something', he won't be able to help us in the playoffs anymore than he is right now.

Agreed. But almost never does a younger player simply just drop off. That 'something' must be able to be overcome. He was sick, and perhaps that was a long recovery. New team. New teammates. New city. New system to learn. Lots of things to adjust to - but I'm confident he will.

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2019 at 10:52 PM, kloubek said:

Agreed. But almost never does a younger player simply just drop off. That 'something' must be able to be overcome. He was sick, and perhaps that was a long recovery. New team. New teammates. New city. New system to learn. Lots of things to adjust to - but I'm confident he will.

I'm not sure why he would have had so much more trouble adjusting to his new team and city than, say, Miller or Myers,  and I don't recall hearing anything about him having such a slow start when he moved to Carolina last year.  I have to think it's the sickness, whatever that might be, that has made it so much harder for him to play his game this year.

A lot of factors go into dealing with concussions and it seems to affect different people in different ways and for varying lengths of time.  Each case needs to be dealt with individually to best help the player.  I am still happy with the signing but I hope they take the time to rehab properly and not rush him back.  Brain injuries are so difficult because there is so much we still don't understand fully of how the brain works.  Sid had all those troubles earlier in his career but by taking the right amount of time off to heal has allowed him to continue to play in the best league in the world and doesn't look to be packing it in any time soon.  Maybe Ferland needs to talk to Sid about what he did to recover a well as he has.

• Upvote 2

On 11/6/2019 at 9:16 AM, Tre Mac said:

Every player goes through a physical at the end of the year and one at the beginning of the next year that both the player and team must sign off on.  The reason is to prevent players from claiming injuries from non hockey related injuries suffered in the offseason.  If Ferland was concussed this whole time then both the Hurricanes and the Canuck training staff missed it, I find that unlikely.  

Totally agree. In this day and age they are checking close before spending the big bucks. I'm sure he'll be back but beyond that I hope i never read about this guy struggling later in life with brain issues. Not worth it.

Elliotte Friedman on Micheal Ferland:

“There was a lot of interest in Ferland. His camp made a pretty smart play and that was holding until they got a 4th year. Lots of teams were weighing it, but Canucks made the plunge. I don’t believe for a second he was damaged goods, but everyone understood the risk.”

• Cheers 2

On 11/12/2019 at 4:24 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Elliotte Friedman on Micheal Ferland:

“There was a lot of interest in Ferland. His camp made a pretty smart play and that was holding until they got a 4th year. Lots of teams were weighing it, but Canucks made the plunge. I don’t believe for a second he was damaged goods, but everyone understood the risk.”

do you have any info on his injury or when he's expected to be back?

• 2 weeks later...

Ferland is an important depthplayer that adds something lacking: power. power enough to win puckbattles, win battles in front of the net, create space for teammates. Without Ferland we have no one that can fill that role and maintain a top 2 line skill level. So yea....definetly want him back.