The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning said he's not ready to play right now.  I doubt things will change in a month.  I think Ferland will be on LTIR this year...

Who determines whether he is healthy enough to play? NHL doctors? NHLPA doctors? 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Who determines whether he is healthy enough to play? NHL doctors? NHLPA doctors? 

I would imagine, ( I am guessing) it depends on the situation

This looks to have a Malhotra feel to it where the player wants to play but the team does not want that.

In which case it proably get sent to an independant DR.

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

I would imagine, ( I am guessing) it depends on the situation

This looks to have a Malhotra feel to it where the player wants to play but the team does not want that.

In which case it proably get sent to an independant DR.

where did you hear that? 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

where did you hear that? 

probably here. TSN, Sportsnet

It was common knowledge at the time

Gillis said Manny's eye was a danger to his ability to play and safety, Manny wanted to play

do you have another version?

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

probably here. TSN, Sportsnet

It was common knowledge at the time

Gillis said Manny's eye was a danger to his ability to play and safety, Manny wanted to play

do you have another version?

not Manny, Ferland. I've never heard of there being some sort of dispute between him and Benning on him playing. I'm sure Benning would like Ferkie to be healthy. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/17/2020 at 3:44 PM, Baggins said:

It's not as simple as just putting him on LTI as somebody has to pay his salary. Either the team is paying him or an insurance company. Why would the team pay him if they don't have to when he just wants to pack it in? If insured that company will want him checked to verify injury. They don't pay on policies out of the goodness of their heart. Even then, if the league has any doubts, they can send him to a league doctor to verify he can't play. Btw, even players on LTI count towards the cap. It just means a team can exceed the cap by that players salary.

No one disputes the man gets his salary and so he should ( although in this case speculation Ferland brought his concussion history ith him ) This about Cap Space. I'm not sure if Vcr carried insurance of Ferland ?

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not Manny, Ferland. I've never heard of there being some sort of dispute between him and Benning on him playing. I'm sure Benning would like Ferkie to be healthy. 

I did say I was guessing

the thing with Ferland is he is going to screw up our cap situation

if he comes back we need to make space for him, 

given his reliability, its a tough situation for Benning clearing cap for a player that might last one shift

if we have $2 M in cap and Ferland comes back, we need to clear $1.5M

11 minutes ago, lmm said:

I did say I was guessing

the thing with Ferland is he is going to screw up our cap situation

if he comes back we need to make space for him, 

given his reliability, its a tough situation for Benning clearing cap for a player that might last one shift

if we have $2 M in cap and Ferland comes back, we need to clear $1.5M

ah OK. I thought you had some new info 

well, Loui and Bear in "Utica" (whatever form that will be this year) takes care of that. But then there's still the issue of bringing in 1 more d man on to the roster.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning have to cough up something significant to move Baer's 3.6 mil in the next couple of weeks. That plus Loui in Utica covers things. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ah OK. I thought you had some new info 

well, Loui and Bear in "Utica" (whatever form that will be this year) takes care of that. But then there's still the issue of bringing in 1 more d man on to the roster.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning have to cough up something significant to move Baer's 3.6 mil in the next couple of weeks. That plus Loui in Utica covers things. 

I believe Loui to Utica saves $1M only

I never have new news, look to Vintage for that stuff

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Unless by some miracle Ferland is completely healthy and no longer easily susceptible to being concussed, I think Benning would like him to go on LTIR, take the year off, then come back really healthy next year (if full health is even possible for him).  That way Benning could use the LTIR money to sign a much needed UFA or two, like Hamonic and/or Hoffman, before the season actually starts and before they sign elsewhere.  I'm sure the last thing Benning wants is for Ferland to say he's feeling just fine, start the season, then leave after he gets concussed again 1-2 games in.  At that point, any potentially useful UFAs would be long gone and we would be screwed!

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

No one disputes the man gets his salary and so he should ( although in this case speculation Ferland brought his concussion history ith him ) This about Cap Space. I'm not sure if Vcr carried insurance of Ferland ?

He did bring that history with him. As I said though, insurance companies will insure a player but exempt a specific injury from the policy if there is repeat history of that injury type. So even if Ferland was insured it would very likely exclude concussions from the policy due to that history. What I read is teams typically only insure 4 to 8 players as it's quite expensive.

32 minutes ago, Baggins said:

He did bring that history with him. As I said though, insurance companies will insure a player but exempt a specific injury from the policy if there is repeat history of that injury type. So even if Ferland was insured it would very likely exclude concussions from the policy due to that history. What I read is teams typically only insure 4 to 8 players as it's quite expensive.

I read the same thing, few players are insured by the club. Here's the grey area IMO to play, a player must pass a medical which I assume include a opinion that he is not suffering from a concussion, currently. Does this mean he's clear to go ?

Ferland has earned the right to make his own decisions......

Feel sorry for the guy.... toughest thing for a pro athlete is quitting not on his own terms......   These guys are not wired  to quit. 

Hoping he plays its safe and hangs up the skates instead of risking his long term health....   Totally understand it if he wants to return for another attempt.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I read the same thing, few players are insured by the club. Here's the grey area IMO to play, a player must pass a medical which I assume include a opinion that he is not suffering from a concussion, currently. Does this mean he's clear to go ?

The problem with concussions imo is early you can see signs a person is concussed but as healing progresses the medical staff depend a great deal on the player being honest about how he's feeling.

• Cheers 4

I really like Ferland the gritty tough player every team wants? The Ferland today is not good health wise? We have seen 3  different time he had to leave with the same serious dizzy concussion symptoms...So sad for young 27year old man with a life  to live after hockey..Hope his family get together and make a smart decision and retire from hockey while he still can function a healthy life. Not come back and risk something very serious with another hit and could affect his life and family life forever ?

Edited by wildcam

On 12/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, Baggins said:

The problem with concussions imo is early you can see signs a person is concussed but as healing progresses the medical staff depend a great deal on the player being honest about how he's feeling.

Yes, that and not actually knowing if they've really recovered until they begin playing games again, under real game conditions.

• 2 weeks later...