The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

3 hours ago, Provost said:

They are allowed to retire on LTIR... same as Pronger and other players.  He gets paid his LTIR money, but is medically retired and not attempting a return to play.

You keep posting that retiring for medical reasons means he doesn’t collect the rest of his contract.  That just isn’t the case.

If that’s the case explain to me why neither Nathan Horton nor David Clarkson have officially retired? They are both still on the Leafs roster as LTIR despite not playing for years. 

btw. I was responding to people who expect that he will retire and his cap hit will disappear.  

Edited by qwijibo

Concussion issues again speaks volumes to me. At the very least IMO he takes next year off. Might just be best to retire, which is tough given he's only 28 years old. Because he's fairly young, taking a year off might still be a viable option if he wants.

42 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

If it's not too personal to ask...what caused your issues?  My son's going through the same and it's so worrying...he goes back to hospital for most tests at the end of August.

Sorry to hear that deb here’s my story :

I had a vestibular physiotherapist doctors Vision ears Stroke and heart brain test after test and the best they could figure was I had an inner ear infection that caused nerve damage Leading to a bit of scar tissue were the crystals should have sat.

So there is a movement or exercise that the physio guys tried if it’s position vertigo it can correct it almost over night.

what I had I was told there’s no time line because it’s how your body heals. I woke up spinning like I was in a record three day like that then I couldn’t  walk in a straight line for about a month migraine like headache and eyes felt like there looking in different directions for basically a year.
I tried everything and anything. The expert told me my Brain will start to relearn to compensate. ( great it took me 45 years to figure it out the first time lol) 

the last time I was tested By the same expert I was told I my balance And awareness on my left side was much weaker Than my right And would most likely stay that way. 
If you haven’t contacted a vestibular physiotherapist I would strongly recommend it they will provide expertises to help or be able to to the maneuver. 

It’s Been three years since and I’ve had a few short bouts that  Last about three weeks but nothing like the first time.
apparently  people who suffer from the position vertigo will get it more often butt they can correct it by doing the maneuver.

hope that helps.

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Tough news as a Canuck or hockey fan today, hope that his contract was insured so canucks are not out of pocket, regardless it is tough to see anyone’s career end this way. His long term health is paramount right now. Would like to know how he passed an NHL physical and got back into a game as he has not recovered from his concussions from his time in Carolina. There is a lot more to this story. 

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Yes and no.  It’s not as simple as freeing up $3.5m in cap space. They’d still need to work around it to be cap compliant with his cap hit on the books when the season starts.  

That isn’t true.

They just need a doctor’s certification that he wouldn’t likely be ready until into the season (I think it is 10 games Or 24 day’s), and then they can use his cap space on another player and go beyond the 10% summer overage.

Then they are also allowed to have people on LTIR when the season starts and have already replaced them with a new players.

That idea that keeps floating around here that teams have to be cap compliant on day 1 before being allowed to put players on LTIR has been shown to be wrong every year.

The complication for us is that LTIR space can’t be used to pay ELC bonuses.  Being in LTIR effectively means pushing any bonuses into next season, like we had to this year.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Sorry to hear that deb here’s my story :

I had a vestibular physiotherapist doctors Vision ears Stroke and heart brain test after test and the best they could figure was I had an inner ear infection that caused nerve damage Leading to a bit of scar tissue were the crystals should have sat.

So there is a movement or exercise that the physio guys tried if it’s position vertigo it can correct it almost over night.

what I had I was told there’s no time line because it’s how your body heals. I woke up spinning like I was in a record three day like that then I couldn’t  walk in a straight line for about a month migraine like headache and eyes felt like there looking in different directions for basically a year.
I tried everything and anything. The expert told me my Brain will start to relearn to compensate. ( great it took me 45 years to figure it out the first time lol) 

the last time I was tested By the same expert I was told I my balance And awareness on my left side was much weaker Than my right And would most likely stay that way. 
If you haven’t contacted a vestibular physiotherapist I would strongly recommend it they will provide expertises to help or be able to to the maneuver. 

It’s Been three years since and I’ve had a few short bouts that  Last about three weeks but nothing like the first time.
apparently  people who suffer from the position vertigo will get it more often butt they can correct it by doing the maneuver.

hope that helps.

Did you see Dr. Art Mallinson at VGH?

He is the big expert in BC.

Going on 11 years from now and the compensation hadn’t happened well enough to be back to close to normal.

Things like shopping malls, crowds, loud restaurants, driving in the rain, etc are still too difficult to compensate for.

Months of vestibular rehab out at Planet Ice in Coquitlam and I went from falling down every day to only occasionally.  

My gut says that those were Micheal Ferland's last NHL games. I just don't see how he returns ever again. He seems destined for LTIR. Really sad ending but he's young, has a young family, and has a lot of life to lead past hockey. Seems like a guy who could find his way into coaching in the next few years if he plays it smart. I think for his safety, you can't let him back on the ice. And that sucks to say. But he's got to think about his quality of life outside the game. I've said the same thing about Baertschi. After his contract ends, Baer probably retires. Both of them have too many concussions.

Hope he's alright in the long term.

• Vintage 1

Man, hang up the skates ... it's not worth it.  Hopefully he put money in the bank for a rainy day and can enjoy the rest of his life with his family off his earnings.  One year of making $3.5M is the equivalent of a 'regular' person making $100,000 for 35 years.  He SHOULD be able to not have to work another day in his life.  Go enjoy it!

• Upvote 1

I think we were hoping for the 2015 version of Micheal Ferland, but ended up getting a broken player who refused to play any other way. He is a warrior for trying, but he's got a young family and needs to take care of himself and them now.

The Canucks never really had the 2015 Ferland. We had the idea of him. He only played 15 games for the Canucks (1 goal), but he was always in our back pocket. The nasty Ferland who terrorized us a few years ago would one day emerge as a savior to toughen us tenfold. But that was just a mirage. We hardly had Ferland at all. It's really too bad.

I wish him well, thank you for trying Micheal.

• Cheers 1

We might yet see Ferland play another game with the Canucks though this obviously depends entirely on what the team decides to do in the offseason.

I can't see another team trading for Ferland, given his health situation and the fact that he has 3-years left on his deal.  $3.5M is a lot to absorb as well.

If the Canucks can find a way to clear Baertschi's contract and cap hit, then that will alleviate most of Ferland's cap hit.  After that, I'm very curious about whether the team will be forced to do anything with Eriksson's and Sutter's contracts this offseason.  Canucks Army posted an article about trading Pearson which, while I personally would not prefer, is an option and might be the easiest to accomplish.  I can see it being a more serious option if Lind or Hoglander have a very good training camp.

Back to Ferland however, like pretty much everyone else, I hope he will recover quickly from whatever is bothering him after last game, even if it's just so he can start enjoying life with his family away from hockey (for awhile anyway).

10 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Good God that signing looks reckless right now. Ferly had issues last season as well. This doesn't look good on Benning no matter how you look at it.

Not counting you out Ferly. Maybe a bit more time and some good breaks. You're young. Make the right call.

you can't blame Benning, he doesn't have a crystal ball. every single GM has signed players that have not worked out.  it happens!

Edited by bree2
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Man, hang up the skates ... it's not worth it.  Hopefully he put money in the bank for a rainy day and can enjoy the rest of his life with his family off his earnings.  One year of making $3.5M is the equivalent of a 'regular' person making $100,000 for 35 years.  He SHOULD be able to not have to work another day in his life.  Go enjoy it!

His contract is guaranteed for another 3 years. He’s going to collect on the remaining $9.5m 

11 hours ago, Provost said:

That isn’t true.

They just need a doctor’s certification that he wouldn’t likely be ready until into the season (I think it is 10 games Or 24 day’s), and then they can use his cap space on another player and go beyond the 10% summer overage.

Then they are also allowed to have people on LTIR when the season starts and have already replaced them with a new players.

That idea that keeps floating around here that teams have to be cap compliant on day 1 before being allowed to put players on LTIR has been shown to be wrong every year.

The complication for us is that LTIR space can’t be used to pay ELC bonuses.  Being in LTIR effectively means pushing any bonuses into next season, like we had to this year.

all things considered, thats not the end of world and will become much more manageable after next season. 

Struggling with tracking the puck, quick movements, ad bright lights.

I worry about his future ability to drive, involve himself in simple physical activity with his children, and quite honestly his own mental health surrounding all of this.  This kid is a warrior and has some high level of courage to try and get back to what he was before.  I admire and respect the hell out of him.  I really hope he has a good support network in his family, friends, and professionals who can help him get through this next part of his recovery whether he returns to hockey or not.

Get well Ferly.

Hi guys, I am quite confused about how the cap works. 

My understanding is that assuming that Ferland is eligible for LITR right now, this does not help Vancouver's cap challenge for next season because Vancouver must be fully cap compliant ($81.5 M cap limit) before next season's training camp and/or regular season taking into account of Ferland's $3.5 M cap hit. Am I interpreting the CBA correctly? I am aware of the further complication of bonus. 

Edited by Maddogy

56 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Hi guys, I am quite confused about how the cap works. 

My understanding is that assuming that Ferland is eligible for LITR right now, this does not help Vancouver's cap challenge for next season because Vancouver must be fully cap compliant ($81.5 M cap limit) before next season's training camp and/or regular season taking into account of Ferland's $3.5 M cap hit. Am I interpreting the CBA correctly? I am aware of the further complication of bonus. 

No...u r not.

Teams can go over the cap by 10% prior to 1st game when must become compliant.

Furthermore if a player is deemed unhealthy to begin season...they can be placed on LTIR on top of the 10%

I think safe to assume that we have seen the last of Ferland and gained 3.5 in Cap Space.

He will however be paid the full remainder of his salary.