The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

On 9/10/2019 at 4:42 AM, kenhodgejr said:

Ferland vs Lucic would be a good fight. Could go either way. Lucic is a slow NHL player but he is still a tough dude. One big punch from either of these guys could finish the fight. Lucic with weight advantage. 

I personally would rather see Ferland fight Sam Bennett. I can't stand that guy and his creepy moustache. He always goes for the cheap head shot and only wants to fight when it suits him. He will go full steam for a bit and when he is gassed he's done with the fight. I want to see Ferland dummy him up this season! 

What's this Ferland vs Lucic.  Ferland is a Burrows/Rousell style player that gets in the odd fight.  Let's have Myers get into it with Lucic.  Now that is something I would get popcorn for.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

What's this Ferland vs Lucic.  Ferland is a Burrows/Rousell style player that gets in the odd fight.  Let's have Myers get into it with Lucic.  Now that is something I would get popcorn for.  

What are you saying. Myers isn't a fighter, he would get ragdolled by Lucic.

Burrows and Roussel aren't exactly known for their fighting capabilities, and Burrows didn't really fight anyone bigger than him. Roussel actually does fight opponents bigger than him, and actually does fight here and there.

Ferland on the other hand is a fighter and really good one at that. I disagree that Roussel and Ferland are similar. Roussel is a $&!# disturber, who likes to start crap with others and get them riled up which can always backfire with the opponents retaliating. While Ferland is a deterrent/protector, who fights when he needs to protect his teammates or send a message. 

Both are gritty and physical players but that's pretty much the only thing that's similar between them. Play style, roles, are completely different.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Ferland is not even close to Burrows/ Roussel. Weight and height maybe but his fighting ability is closer Chris Neil or Michael Haley. He has heavy punches! 

Tyler Myers is a big strong guy but he hasn't won manny fights. In fact most fight attempts have resulted in looses for him.  Being good at fighting is more important that being big. Ferland would beat Myers every day of the week! 

I would still like to see Myers win some fight this season but the fight should be better matched. He should fight non fighters.

Ferland (217 lbs) is considered a  lightheavyweight-fighter.

Lucic (231 lbs) is considerd a heavyweight-fighter. 

Myers (229 lbs) is considered a heavyweight non-fighter. 

As long as no one runs Ep40 or Hughes, I am fine.  Like that Ferland pushed Goldy out of the way in scrimmage.  He is getting his game face on early. 

217lbs... never thought he was that big.  

25 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

As long as no one runs Ep40 or Hughes, I am fine.  Like that Ferland pushed Goldy out of the way in scrimmage.  He is getting his game face on early. 

217lbs... never thought he was that big.  

Let's hope MacEwan develops a similar game to Ferland.  That would be doubly awesome lol.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Let's hope MacEwan develops a similar game to Ferland.  That would be doubly awesome lol.

I think MacEwan will make the Canucks at some point. He won't dominate the leagues toughest guys but he will win a lot of fights and keep guys honest. The good thing about him is he can score also. He reminds me a lot of Kassian. Not so much the off ice part. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think MacEwan will make the Canucks at some point. He won't dominate the leagues toughest guys but he will win a lot of fights and keep guys honest. The good thing about him is he can score also. He reminds me a lot of Kassian. Not so much the off ice part. 

I like him too, but from what I've seen, I think that better comparison is a Darren Archibald-type.  He's a big guy who will fight when he knows it's called for, or to help himself get to the next level, but it doesn't look like it's part of his personality or something he particularly likes doing.  He hasn't done overly well in his fights through the years because he's not really into it.  But I still think he has great potential as a well-rounded fourth line-type, who can grind it out with the best of them and add a few goals as well.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't a strong proponent of Ferland on the first line, but after seeing how quickly Horvat and Miller gelled, Miller might more likely be stapled to the 2nd unit with Bo, freeing up the spot for Ferland (that is, assuming no other surprises hit).

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I wasn't a strong proponent of Ferland on the first line, but after seeing how quickly Horvat and Miller gelled, Miller might more likely be stapled to the 2nd unit with Bo, freeing up the spot for Ferland (that is, assuming no other surprises hit).

Yeah, I was thinking Miller would fit better on Petey's line, but on the other hand, I think Ferland is only a modest step down from Miller in skill, and he is probably tougher than Miller, so I would be fine with Ferland riding shotgun on the first line.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not gonna lie, I still have an urge to punch Ferland's face when I see it. Dang '15 flashbacks.

Don't hold it against the kid AJ. It was a first round loss to the Flamers. Ferland was a lighting rod for Canuck fans but when I think back I was saying to myself that I wish we had the kid. Quite frankly he was playing with a desire that we don't often see on the Canuck roster. How many times have you seen kids like Ferland who got their shot and didn't do anything with it. Ferland fought his way onto the Calgary roster and then his talent surfaced. I really respect that. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Don't hold it against the kid AJ. It was a first round loss to the Flamers. Ferland was a lighting rod for Canuck fans but when I think back I was saying to myself that I wish we had the kid. Quite frankly he was playing with a desire that we don't often see on the Canuck roster. How many times have you seen kids like Ferland who got their shot and didn't do anything with it. Ferland fought his way onto the Calgary roster and then his talent surfaced. I really respect that. 

Don't worry, I'll get used to it once I see him standing up for our boys. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not gonna lie, I still have an urge to punch Ferland's face when I see it. Dang '15 flashbacks.

Your anger was envy,.  Your envy will become pride.

Ferland had a few chances to demolish players last night..  but it’s obviously better to hold back until regular season.

Once he is unleashed,. The dynamics on that line will change again,.  Ferland “green lit” on the offence is going to create so much more opportunity for his line mates.

Regular season or one game before, is when we will see the full capability of that line,

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...