The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

On 6/30/2023 at 5:21 PM, aliboy said:

So, can we make a trade with Myers being the Future Considerations part which kicks in after September 1st with the money paid?? In which case we don't have to wait to make the trade. 

Rachel Doerrie reports today on Sekeres and Price that Myers' $5M bonus was paid this week

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Googlie said:

Rachel Doerrie reports today on Sekeres and Price that Myers' $5M bonus was paid this week

• Right before the free agent market opened on July 1st, it was reported that the San Jose Sharks and Vancouver Canucks had recently discussed a trade that would send defenseman Tyler Myers to the Bay Area. During their podcast, ’Canucks Central’, Dan Riccio and Sat Shah confirmed the deal would have been a one-for-one swap for winger Kevin Labanc. It makes sense for both teams, as Myers has fallen out of favor in Vancouver, and the team mostly addressed its defensive core via free agency. From the Sharks’ perspective, the team is widely expected to move defenseman Erik Karlsson before the offseason concludes, and Myers would fill that hole left on their right side.
  • One of the major holdups in any Myers deal is the $5MM bonus he is due on September 1st of this year. At the beginning of last season, there were reports that a deal that would have sent Myers to the Ottawa Senators fell through due to the bonus due to Myers. Unfortunately for interested parties, David Quadrelli of Nation HQ reports that the Canucks are unable to pay the bonus early, as the league has deemed it a salary cap circumvention.

I would not want Labanc 27--5'11--1 yr X 4.7 million-- He is  a bottom 6 winger we don't need more wingers.

So bonus can't be paid early, so guess that holds up any deals until Sept 1..

Myers is Valuable can b moved up with injuries and could be a great trade chip at trade deadline for playoff team.

Myers could be valuable playing #4 or #5 spot..Played against others teams best forward here in Vancouver. Myers is a decent defenceman if not over played - 19--21 min guy..

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

I dont know why everyone is so down on Myers, of course we all see the highlights of his miss-plays, giving up the puck, trying to play goalie from 10 metres out, passes intercepted but he was under alot of pressure living up to his contract in VAN and pressured to try to block instead of attacking.

We all hate the contract and the CAP but thats almost over.

On TSN they are replaying the IIHF series occasionally and if you didnt watch it, you should see Myers playing natural for the team Canada gold.

Myers and OEL on the same pairing was the worst of both worlds....

If Myers and OEL both lost their stage fright they would have worked out. Wait on myers and watch how OEL does in Florida on his cheap, but additional 2.5 MIL contract while he is still getting paid by us till 2031 (expectations gone, media pressure gone).

If proper coaching continues, Myers can skate, poke-check and do laps behind the offense if he has a goalie like Demko and/or Silvos and a stay home defenseman he can trust and can stick to the plan instead of getting desperate.

• 4 weeks later...

They keep saying Myers for Lebanc - after ownership pays Myers 5 mil bonus. Since LeBanc is a 4.75 mil cap hit, we would save 1.25 mil on the cap and gain a 5’11 180 pound winger that we don’t need, who has never scored 20 goals in his career, who was -17 last year. Boil it down, and ownership is giving up 5 mil + 4.75 mil (we don’t need another winger) to gain 1.25 mil in cap space. On its face, it looks like a trade worthy of Benning. What am I missing here? Surely there is a better deal somewhere in the nhl after Myers bonus is paid. Maybe a 3 mil C worth rehabilitating?

On 7/8/2023 at 7:43 PM, wildcam said:
  • Right before the free agent market opened on July 1st, it was reported that the San Jose Sharks and Vancouver Canucks had recently discussed a trade that would send defenseman Tyler Myers to the Bay Area. During their podcast, ’Canucks Central’, Dan Riccio and Sat Shah confirmed the deal would have been a one-for-one swap for winger Kevin Labanc. It makes sense for both teams, as Myers has fallen out of favor in Vancouver, and the team mostly addressed its defensive core via free agency. From the Sharks’ perspective, the team is widely expected to move defenseman Erik Karlsson before the offseason concludes, and Myers would fill that hole left on their right side.
  • One of the major holdups in any Myers deal is the $5MM bonus he is due on September 1st of this year. At the beginning of last season, there were reports that a deal that would have sent Myers to the Ottawa Senators fell through due to the bonus due to Myers. Unfortunately for interested parties, David Quadrelli of Nation HQ reports that the Canucks are unable to pay the bonus early, as the league has deemed it a salary cap circumvention.

I would not want Labanc 27--5'11--1 yr X 4.7 million-- He is  a bottom 6 winger we don't need more wingers.

So bonus can't be paid early, so guess that holds up any deals until Sept 1..

Myers is Valuable can b moved up with injuries and could be a great trade chip at trade deadline for playoff team.

Myers could be valuable playing #4 or #5 spot..Played against others teams best forward here in Vancouver. Myers is a decent defenceman if not over played - 19--21 min guy..

Yeah, I agree. I sure hope management isn't that stupid to make that deal. 

We already have too many bottom 6 wingers, and, after Myers $5 mil bonus is paid, the Canucks would actually have to pay out of pocket, $875,000 more for Leblanc's salary this year. So, it's a no-win situation for Canuck management. Plus, I still believe that Myers is going to have a good year, clearly because he's playing for his next contract. 

Trade him at the deadline.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

They keep saying Myers for Lebanc - after ownership pays Myers 5 mil bonus. Since LeBanc is a 4.75 mil cap hit, we would save 1.25 mil on the cap and gain a 5’11 180 pound winger that we don’t need, who has never scored 20 goals in his career, who was -17 last year. Boil it down, and ownership is giving up 5 mil + 4.75 mil (we don’t need another winger) to gain 1.25 mil in cap space. On its face, it looks like a trade worthy of Benning. What am I missing here? Surely there is a better deal somewhere in the nhl after Myers bonus is paid. Maybe a 3 mil C worth rehabilitating?

I think it was a trade nucks wanted before the bonus was paid so it was to save Aquaman 5.25 schmill, the sharks balked at it for 2 good reasons:

1. Thats 5 million bonus for Myers for nothing or at best a flip for a 3rd or 2nd rounder at best if he's not injured at TDL

2. They have not moved Karlsson yet and that's a lot money still on sjs books, why pay Myers if Karlsson is still there

On 8/4/2023 at 5:14 PM, Canucks Curse said:

I think it was a trade nucks wanted before the bonus was paid so it was to save Aquaman 5.25 schmill, the sharks balked at it for 2 good reasons:

1. Thats 5 million bonus for Myers for nothing or at best a flip for a 3rd or 2nd rounder at best if he's not injured at TDL

2. They have not moved Karlsson yet and that's a lot money still on sjs books, why pay Myers if Karlsson is still there

Karlsson is gone. Theories? 

I don’t agree that it saves five mil for Aquaman - he would just have to pay it for a winger we don’t need instead. Better to eat JB’s mistake and get a better deal for the cap. Even if we have to bring back a three mil centre, it would pretty much clean up the worst of our cap problems. Now, what to do with Pearson? He was awful before he got hurt, and now he wants to come back - thus losing that LTIR. What can we do to fix that, do you figure?

12 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Karlsson is gone. Theories? 

I don’t agree that it saves five mil for Aquaman - he would just have to pay it for a winger we don’t need instead. Better to eat JB’s mistake and get a better deal for the cap. Even if we have to bring back a three mil centre, it would pretty much clean up the worst of our cap problems. Now, what to do with Pearson? He was awful before he got hurt, and now he wants to come back - thus losing that LTIR. What can we do to fix that, do you figure?

Pearson, like all these injured guys getting paid through insurance, have to say they plan on returning and are doing their best to get back. If they don’t, they will lose their insurance coverage. 
Pearson is done. Once he gets a doctor to say he’s finished, then he will go to Robidaus Island. But guaranteed he’s not playing again. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Pearson, like all these injured guys getting paid through insurance, have to say they plan on returning and are doing their best to get back. If they don’t, they will lose their insurance coverage. 
Pearson is done. Once he gets a doctor to say he’s finished, then he will go to Robidaus Island. But guaranteed he’s not playing again. 

I disagree. He doesn't have an extensive history of injuries in the same way as guys like Poolman or Ferland. How good he is now after so long off at 30 years old (soon 31) is a question, but I do believe that he'll be playing and healthy for training camp.

I hope we dont trade Myers for a forward, would be dumb. We only have 5 proven and capable NHL dmen, if we trade Myers we are down to 4. When injuries hit our paper thin D depth will get exposed. We have a lot of plug ins like Juulsen, Breezy, Woo, Johansson, Hirose, Wolanin, Rathbone but none of them have proven they can be a consistant NHL Dman nevermind lock down a top 4 spot. One or two of them may get there in time but need at least one more year to find out. Wolanin is probably the closest to being an regular NHL D man.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I hope we dont trade Myers for a forward, would be dumb. We only have 5 proven and capable NHL dmen, if we trade Myers we are down to 4. When injuries our paper thin D depth will get exposed. We have a lot of plug ins like Juulsen, Breezy, Woo, Johansson, Hirose, Wolanin, Rathbone but none of them have proven they can be a consistant NHL Dman nevermind lock down a top 4 spot. One or two of them may get there in time but need at least one more year to find out. Wolanin is probably the closest to being an regular NHL D man.  

Myers isn't going anywhere most likely. If there was a trade to be had, it would have already happened. I'm glad the rumored trade for Lablanc never happened. 

• Cheers 3

On 3/5/2020 at 9:53 AM, aGENT said:

This was on a team with Tanev and Stecher fwiw. 

The funny thing is, I don’t think Myers has really shown any “age related” decline.  He just isn’t a shutdown guy without a really solid LD with him. 

While Myers has never lived up to his contract, especially offensively, he does chip in on the scoresheet and has 2/4 seasons playing passable defensive hockey in hard minutes.  

He really is the chaos giraffe.

• Cheers 2

On 8/4/2023 at 5:14 PM, Canucks Curse said:

I think it was a proposed trade, prior to buying out OEL, to clear cap. We would have acquired Lebanc and bought him out, in theory. With the buyout window now closed, that deal is not remotely happening @Ray_Cathode.

16 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

This was on a team with Tanev and Stecher fwiw. 

The funny thing is, I don’t think Myers has really shown any “age related” decline.  He just isn’t a shutdown guy without a really solid LD with him. 

While Myers has never lived up to his contract, especially offensively, he does chip in on the scoresheet and has 2/4 seasons playing passable defensive hockey in hard minutes.  

He really is the chaos giraffe.

I thought he looked like a legit top 4 Dman in our bubble run even though he put up zero points and took lots of penalties, he brought some much needed physically that helped us overcome Minnesota and St Louis. He definitely brought the chaos.   

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I thought he looked like a legit top 4 Dman in our bubble run even though he put up zero points and took lots of penalties, he brought some much needed physically that helped us overcome Minnesota and St Louis. He definitely brought the chaos.   

I think he can be very effective in limited minutes now that we have Hronek to take 20+ hard minutes of ice from Myers. Paired with someone like Soucy they could be an effective and punishing (albeit expensive) 3rd pairing.

• Cheers 1

On 8/9/2023 at 4:57 PM, aGENT said:

I think it was a proposed trade, prior to buying out OEL, to clear cap. We would have acquired Lebanc and bought him out, in theory. With the buyout window now closed, that deal is not remotely happening @Ray_Cathode.

I am always thankful for great big, fat mercies. What do you think, will Pearson be able to play or will we still need to clear cap? I don't mind keeping Myers at the cost of one mil cap space - we will have already paid out his bonus. Unless management has an eye on another RD deal...

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I am always thankful for great big, fat mercies. What do you think, will Pearson be able to play or will we still need to clear cap? I don't mind keeping Myers at the cost of one mil cap space - we will have already paid out his bonus. Unless management has an eye on another RD deal...

Pearson is not playing anymore. He will finish this contract with insurance paying the bill. Because of the nature of his injury though he must continue to make every effort to come back and play so the insurance coverage will continue. Lots of players, who are on LTIR, end up on Robideau Island. Pearson is on the island and building a house. He’ll be moving in soon enough.