The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson or Kotkaniemi?

Rate this topic

Jaku

Help settle the score. Elias Pettersson or Jesperi Kotkaniemi  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I win Calder Trophy.  Gretzky told me I play like him.  Why do you even compare me to some Finnish dude in Montreal??  :)

Wayne Gretzky knows a thing or two about the NHL’s record book.

As the all-time leader in points, goals and assists, Gretzky has an eye for players who may some day come after his own records, and in watching Vancouver Canucks super rookie Elias Pettersson’s assault on the Canucks first-year record book he sees a lot of his own budding greatness in the Swedish phenom.

“From my point of view, he’s got a lot of my similarities,” Gretzky said on Sportsnet 650 Monday morning. “His hockey sense and his playmaking ability is as good as anybody right now, and that’s probably where the comparisons come from — much more the playmaking than anything else.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-compares-canucks-elias-pettersson-sidney-crosby/

While I start by saying I voted for Petey, agree with everything you said except about Gretzky knowing talent. His coaching record isn’t exactly stellar and I’m too lazy to find it but believe he went on record saying his brother would be a better hockey player than him. Gretzky wouldn’t say sh!t if he had a mouthful of it. 

• Wat 2

I like the Habs. I like Jesperi. I like what they're building over there.

Doesn't change the fact that EP is considerably better than Kotkaniemi. My best friend is a die-hard Habs fan and he'd be the first on this forum to be saying that this debate isn't even a debate. That it's not even close.

On 7/20/2019 at 10:06 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I win Calder Trophy.  Gretzky told me I play like him.  Why do you even compare me to some Finnish dude in Montreal??  :)

Wayne Gretzky knows a thing or two about the NHL’s record book.

As the all-time leader in points, goals and assists, Gretzky has an eye for players who may some day come after his own records, and in watching Vancouver Canucks super rookie Elias Pettersson’s assault on the Canucks first-year record book he sees a lot of his own budding greatness in the Swedish phenom.

“From my point of view, he’s got a lot of my similarities,” Gretzky said on Sportsnet 650 Monday morning. “His hockey sense and his playmaking ability is as good as anybody right now, and that’s probably where the comparisons come from — much more the playmaking than anything else.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-compares-canucks-elias-pettersson-sidney-crosby/

15 hours ago, Amebushi said:

While I start by saying I voted for Petey, agree with everything you said except about Gretzky knowing talent. His coaching record isn’t exactly stellar and I’m too lazy to find it but believe he went on record saying his brother would be a better hockey player than him. Gretzky wouldn’t say sh!t if he had a mouthful of it. 

I don't take the coaching record into account. It was with the Coyotes and Gretzky has barely done any serious coaching until that point. I suppose you could knock him for taking the job but great players often have great self-belief and do frequently misjudge how much work actually goes into being a good coach or GM. I would say your second point hits the nail on the head, Gretzky has always been over the top with his praise. A "quote" from Gretzky is basically a punch line at this point because he has frequently praised some plug like he is the second coming. 

• Cheers 2

On 7/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, Jaku said:

Truly wish it was. I was actually told that Jesperi Kotkaniemi is and always be a better player than Elias Pettersson. So, I'm trying to settle the score.

Punch them in the throat instead.   Ok maybe not.... but maybe go up to them and throw them to the ground and then fall down with him and roll his legs under  him...and yell in his face NO he is NOT better then EP.

If it’s the internet then I guess this is a fun way to get it out of your system, pretty sure we all know EPs in a class of his own, as a unique a player as Bure was just in different ways. HHOF...will call on him when he retires.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:18 PM, the grinder said:

im sure its a few of these baboons ( no offense to real baboons )

Well, now the baboons sue you for defamation. 

I'm no legal expert but u know what i mean. 

Edited by Monteeun

On 7/20/2019 at 5:28 PM, Jaku said:

Pettersson or Kotkaniemi?

I couldn't get past the title.....I know what it said but my brain projected two comparisons that give you my answer.   Figure out who is who.

220px-Henrik_Sedin_and_Evgeni_Nabokov.jp   OR  220px-Brendan_Morrison.jpg

captain-america-figure_0.png?resize=632, 

OR

Chris_Evans_in_Cap_1952091a.jpg

• Haha 1

I mean, definitely Pettersson right now. We’ll probably see in the next year or two for sure who the clear cut better player is. Kotkaniemi is a year younger and played the entire season as an 18 year old, while Pettersson was 20 for majority of the season. But even then, Pettersson was a lot better. If Kotkaniemi really steps it up this year, it’ll be closer. 

But right now, not close.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, Jaku said:

Hello friends! This week while crusing the Twitterverse I stumbled across people saying that Kotkaniemi is better than Petey. This for one is wrong. But, they don't believe it. I have taken into my own hands the task of proving this idea is wrong. So, today I ask you all, with unbiased opinion, who's better now, who's better throughout their career? Pettersson or Kotkaniemi? 

Those people are commonly known as delusional Canadiens fans.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:18 PM, the grinder said:

im sure its a few of these baboons ( no offense to real baboons )

My favourite thing about these is now reading all the articles about how Pettersson "fell" to us. 

7 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

My favourite thing about these is now reading all the articles about how Pettersson "fell" to us. 

Even on CDC those who liked the pick were in the minority.  The meltdown in the draft thread was ridiculous.  I think history will look on the draft the same way as Quinn stealing Bure.  Franchise changing choice.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Even on CDC those who liked the pick were in the minority.  The meltdown in the draft thread was ridiculous.  I think history will look on the draft the same way as Quinn stealing Bure.  Franchise changing choice.

I didn’t hate the pick but I was concerned he was only picked because we had just acquired Dahlen and they had chemistry. Obviously I was wrong but there was a very real concern that they weren’t going off BPA at that point.

Bruh Twitter is only fun for the memes. Other than that, 20% of Twitter is stans of an athlete, singer, sports teams that say stupid $&!#, 20% politics, 10% really really disturbing $&!# and 50% horny people and memes.

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

ya exactly  it will be the same for hughes  and podi   like they fell to us  lol  and benning got lucky , im so looking forward to 3 on 3 with petey hughes and boesser  that was crazy to watch