The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looks like one Mr. Shawn P Roarke knows what he's talking about ;)

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Or, Looks like Mr Shawn P Rourke has been paying attention.  The Canucks will be icing no AHL stars this year by all accounts and since they will be an all NHL team, they will be doing much better.  How much better depends on a lot of things but people in the know are optimistic.

• Upvote 2

Can’t wait to see what some other hockey experts will be saying prior to the start of the season and what their predictions might be.   Not so sure we will see the same doom and gloom parroted, but a more conservative approach, with a fair amount of articles like these.   Last year most had us right next to OTT to start the year, things didn’t turn out nearly so bad considering we lost 100 points from the Sedins and added only bottom six players to insulate Horvat, Boeser and EP who did even better then most of us hoped for.  

This is the brightest outlook we’ve had in over half a decade.  It’s not perfect, but it’s a whole lot better then it was, and it’s just getting started.  If chemistry comes right away then we will definitely make the playoff, if not then it’s not the end of the world either because it will come.   Too many options for it not too, and depth is improved to the point that we can get by key injuries without the terrible slumps we’ve got used to.  

Id be disappointed if we miss the playoffs, Hughes, Myers, Benn, Miller and Ferland for a year is collectively a massive upgrade.   It won’t be the end of the world either as we are in a tight conference, one to three good teams will miss out regardless, and I’m sure the following year we will be even better.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

We had a losing record against our division.

That doesn't make them less terrible... it was a slug race to see who could avoid making the playoffs the hardest.  We were artificially in the race because everyone else sucked badly too.

Nothing to say that 90 points is what you need to make the playoffs next year like last season.  We could get more points and improve and still be farther away from a playoff spot.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

That doesn't make them less terrible... it was a slug race to see who could avoid making the playoffs the hardest.  We were artificially in the race because everyone else sucked badly too.

Nothing to say that 90 points is what you need to make the playoffs next year like last season.  We could get more points and improve and still be farther away from a playoff spot.

Im thinking we'll probably net 105-108 points in the standings

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Can’t wait to see what some other hockey experts will be saying prior to the start of the season and what their predictions might be.   Not so sure we will see the same doom and gloom parroted, but a more conservative approach, with a fair amount of articles like these.   Last year most had us right next to OTT to start the year, things didn’t turn out nearly so bad considering we lost 100 points from the Sedins and added only bottom six players to insulate Horvat, Boeser and EP who did even better then most of us hoped for.  

This is the brightest outlook we’ve had in over half a decade.  It’s not perfect, but it’s a whole lot better then it was, and it’s just getting started.  If chemistry comes right away then we will definitely make the playoff, if not then it’s not the end of the world either because it will come.   Too many options for it not too, and depth is improved to the point that we can get by key injuries without the terrible slumps we’ve got used to.  

Id be disappointed if we miss the playoffs, Hughes, Myers, Benn, Miller and Ferland for a year is collectively a massive upgrade.   It won’t be the end of the world either as we are in a tight conference, one to three good teams will miss out regardless, and I’m sure the following year we will be even better.

The only thing that really matters is that the team continues the upwards trend, season on season from now on.

I think we have a playoffs challenging team, but still need to find the chemistry... We are definitely a better team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

We are going to have five new roster players compared to last season: Hughes, Myers, Miller, Ferland, and Benn

Of these, 4 players are top 4D and top 6F. And although Benn is not a top 4D, he is essentially an improvement over Hutton.

I'm really optimistic for the new season, mainly because our defence improved greatly and it doesn't have gaping hole like it did before:

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Sure, it will have trouble against the best teams in the NHL but it should be good enough against most teams. The team's strength shouldn't be judged based on its best players but on the weakest players because the opposition can always exploit that weak link. I don't see much of a weak link on this defence.

We are going to be vastly improved in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, the grinder said:

what? media showed the canucks some love   , it cant be true can it ?

You know what, when I saw the link to the article on NHL.com earlier I thought to myself, "I'm going to be annoyed if nobody lists Vancouver".

Then I start reading it and they're going on about Arizona and Chicago and I am about to give up hope when I saw that the one guy Mr. P Roarke showed us some respect.

I hope he puts some money on the Nucks this year because he might wind up winning a few bucks. Nuckbucks. $$$

• Upvote 1