The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Any you know this how? Are you privy to the goings on behind the scenes and in the locker room?

As a fan. He gives us, me, you little to no faith that he can make the team good again and not the next Oilers, Sabres, Florida, etc. 

• Wat 4

23 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Gillis was ahead of the curve when it came to maximizing player performance on the ice. You already know the examples ie. hiring sleep doctors, staying in away cities overnight instead of travelling, having the likes of Tom Brady as a guest speaker at player meetings, lobbying for a better travel schedule for the team. We knew we had a GM that was trying to get that extra edge over other GMs.

Benning is the opposite and instills very little confidence, unless it’s draft day (even then he’s only above average).

I always found it amusing/ironic how we have one of the worst records in the last 4 years and yet Benning insists he overpay for “culture carriers” to avoid a “losing culture”.

Gillis was blackballed by GM's around the league because he screwed over many clubs when he was an agent - why many of his deals went through the Banana Republic  Florida Panthers nothing franchise!

Proof will be in the pudding. 

I think the Canucks will be in the playoffs for the next few years.  Hopefully stars align and hoisting the cup (ala Blues).  And with JB at the helm drafting superb picks in the latter half of the first round and gems in later rounds...it'll be a golden era.

Is that too much positivity?

:)

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I'm a little surprised.  The moves he made were designed to put us in the playoff hunt.  Though I believe it will, it is kinda like rewarding someone before the job is finished.

Guess ownership has lots of confidence.  Good to see.

I think it has to do with direction

Of course they havnt proved anything yet, but IJB has identified his young core players, and made a bold move to try and surround them with quality players, now.  

Better pan out though, because if they take a step back there will be outrage for sure

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you speak for everyone (or the majority even). As a fan, I have a different opinion. I don't agree with all the moves made, but overall I have faith the team is trending upward. 

We’ll see. We’re most likely going to be out of cap room after Boeser is signed. It’s playoffs or bust at this point and the fact that Benning has job security now is odd since we’ve been a loser franchise for a large part of his tenure.

• Wat 3

15 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you speak for everyone (or the majority even). As a fan, I have a different opinion. I don't agree with all the moves made, but overall I have faith the team is trending upward. 

I think he's learning well.  Most of the moves I had an issue with came in the first couple of years, and even those I understand better when taken as part of the overall strategy.  Seeing Benning take EP and then watching CDC melt down was all I needed to be confident that Benning is far smarter than us.  Excited to see the team next year, with even more great prospects ready to break in.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

We’ll see. We’re most likely going to be out of cap room after Boeser is signed. It’s playoffs or bust at this point and the fact that Benning has job security now is odd since we’ve been a loser franchise for a large part of his tenure.

Oh no!  We are out of cap room while icing a complete, competitive team!  Whatever should we do?

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, BPA said:

Proof will be in the pudding. 

I think the Canucks will be in the playoffs for the next few years.  Hopefully stars align and hoisting the cup (ala Blues).  And with JB at the helm drafting superb picks in the latter half of the first round and gems in later rounds...it'll be a golden era.

Is that too much positivity?

:)

1203561938_Stanley_Cup_2015.jpg.42f94cffa5f9b03f6aff79fcf6f58b36.jpg