The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Goldobin Russian interview

Rate this topic

Ossi Vaananen

9 hours ago, Pears said:

Goldy still has huge potential imo. I think if you want to get him going, stick him with Pettersson and Boeser for 80-85% of the season. 

Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Ferland

Pearson - Sutter - Virtanen/Baertschi

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

That top six oozes offensive potential. 

I'd reverse those two on the right wing.

Putting Boeser, Horvat and Miller together keeps two very solid lines with no glaring deficiencies. Horvat and Boeser do play very well together, and Miller is a very, very good player.

Ferland can play defence, and provides the physical play required. Boeser would do even better "away" from the other teams' top pairings, which leaves the opposition with a problem (and it's a nice problem to have) - which line do we cover? Miller Horvat Boeser will burn you if you leave the Luca Sbisas of the NHL out there defending them, and it gets worse with Goldobin Petterson Ferland insufficiently defended.

Nobody takes a run at either line, either.

I'd be stoked if that's what it was. It's up to the players themselves to get there though. At least in the interim, no Roussel leaves an opening for the Virtanen Baertshi Pearson to figure out where they want to be.

Man, Eriksson is such a dud.

• Upvote 4

I really like his comment: "Problems come from the head – and when you grow up, you become more cold-blooded.”

I think he's the type of guy that's going to "get it" in a few years' time. I just hope we are able to hold onto him till then.. 

Edited by 'NucK™
  • Like 1

Canucks traded Hansen for Goldobin, which was a steal IMO. He's young with pure offensive skill and speed. Maybe his defensive lapses were more glaring the last couple of seasons due to the Canucks poor D? From what I recall, Goldobin played with Petterson and Boeser earlier in the season, had success, but was then taken off the top line. He was subsequently moved all over the lineup and benched on occasion. I think if Green doesn't want to play Goldobn, then they should trade him. His value dips lower and lower with every benching. 

What about putting him with the defensively responsible Miller and Horvat? Both have speed and grit, maybe Goldy finds some open space, and maybe captain Bo will get it through his head on how he needs to play.

Miller - Horvat - Goldobin

Goldy is only 23 years old....remember the Sedins were only 30 pts players when they were 23 years old...

I think it's a little early to give up on Goldy...if he is given opportunity playing with skilled players, he will have a better chance of realizing his potential.

Goldy has a lot of skill and upside and potential, but this potential will not be realized if he plays on the 4th line with limited minutes.

Goldy's words, essentially are...."he needs to play good defensively, but he needs to bury his chances, he needs to be a finisher in order to gain the trust of the coach".

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

From what I recall, Goldobin played with Petterson and Boeser earlier in the season, had success, but was then taken off the top line. He was subsequently moved all over the lineup and benched on occasion. I think if Green doesn't want to play Goldobn, then they should trade him. His value dips lower and lower with every benching. 

Problem was that he only produced 'ok' and quite sporadically in that role, during that time, while bringing little else to the table when he was frequently not scoring AND making mistakes that were leading to chances/goals against.

You're not going to nail down a top 6 spot doing that. That's on Goldy, not Green.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, brownky said:

I'd reverse those two on the right wing.

Putting Boeser, Horvat and Miller together keeps two very solid lines with no glaring deficiencies. Horvat and Boeser do play very well together, and Miller is a very, very good player.

Ferland can play defence, and provides the physical play required. Boeser would do even better "away" from the other teams' top pairings, which leaves the opposition with a problem (and it's a nice problem to have) - which line do we cover? Miller Horvat Boeser will burn you if you leave the Luca Sbisas of the NHL out there defending them, and it gets worse with Goldobin Petterson Ferland insufficiently defended.

Nobody takes a run at either line, either.

I'd be stoked if that's what it was. It's up to the players themselves to get there though. At least in the interim, no Roussel leaves an opening for the Virtanen Baertshi Pearson to figure out where they want to be.

Man, Eriksson is such a dud.

That’s a good point about Ferland, he’d be perfect for those two and would allow them to focus on their offense. I really like the look of that second line too. 

• Cheers 1

if the canucks went with 3 balanced scoring lines, i could see him with miller and roussel on the 3rd line. that is the only way i see goldie getting the offensive time he needs to improve. at least goldie isn’t going to the bench as soon as the puck starts to go the other way, like he did his first year. they say he played a stronger defensive game in utica and back checked regularly but wasn’t doing it in vancouver. lets hope he can finally put it all together. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

When asked if he’s allowed to take risks, Goldobin said “A little bit. Less than Pettersson.”

This is a little concerning for me. Does he expect to get the same freedoms as Pettersson? Does he not see EP backchecking like a mad man and getting into the corners despite his slight frame? Does he not notice that EP is actually putting up the numbers too? Goldy may want to be an offensive juggernaut and I hope he does become one, but in the meantime, he needs to work hard to stay in the lineup and earn those opportunities. His saving Grace is right now we don't have a lot of pure skill and vision that Goldy has, so he has a leg up on the competition here. No one is expecting him to be a bruiser, but he needs to win puck battles.

His comment about how he's used to receiving passes or what not, well you cannot play that way all the time. The only players that get away with that are guys like Patrick Kane, but he's absolutely elite on offense. If he can generate like that, then yes we will overlook the defensive deficiencies. Green is trying to develop him so he can stay in the NHL, so it's up to him to do what it takes to survive long enough until that breakthrough season where the offense clicks.

Good to hear that he's in meetings with Green basically once a week. Sounds like he wants to learn and sounds like he wants to be here. Hard not to root for this guy, but in the end, it's all on him to make it happen. I still think he would clear waivers should it come to that though. I think Schaller and Eriksson would have to be moved/waived if Goldy is to hold on a spot for opening night IMO. Leivo won't clear and neither would Motte, so I'd be careful with that.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This is a little concerning for me. Does he expect to get the same freedoms as Pettersson? Does he not see EP backchecking like a mad man and getting into the corners despite his slight frame? Does he not notice that EP is actually putting up the numbers too?

Not how I read it. I took at as more of "A little bit. Less than Pettersson (because he's clearly far better than me).”

14 hours ago, canuktravella said:

i love goldy i hope he gets another chance with us if he becomes a 30 goal scorer we are laughing  next yr if tryamkin is back watch out  this team is stacked af 

big yrs for goldy and shotgun jake  

eriksson in utica 

baetchi tanev sutter traded  by deadline

marky in the summer 

next season we annilate teams 

ferland petey boeser

goldy horvat miller

pearson gaudette virtanen 

macewen beagle rousell 

leivo 

edler tryamkin

hughes myers 

juolevi stecher

demko

decent back up

markstrom is UFA in summer, hopefully he can be traded at deadline. Hoping Goldy gets a chance to show what he can do in training camp before trading him if need be. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

True but if he backchecked as hard as Petey and went into the corners, that wouldn't matter.

Well that would be part of being 'better', wouldn't it?

'Better' =

'He actually produces offense, consistently, while taking those chances and battles to keep or get back the puck when he doesn't have it'.

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well that would be part of being 'better', wouldn't it?

'Better' =

'He actually produces offense, consistently, while taking those chances and battles to keep or get back the puck when he doesn't have it'.

To me, it seems he's alluding to the fact that Petey is more skilled/has more natural talent than him, hence is given more freedom.

He should focus on the fact that things like backchecking and going after the puck with tenacity are also (and I would say more significant) reasons that Petey gets more freedom. 

Edited by 'NucK™

10 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I'm rootin' for him as well, but my slight concern with the interview is it kind of seems like he doesn't see a spot for himself on the team after this summer's signings. I hope his confidence hasn't been shattered too much and he starts to take the I'll-play-so-hard-that-I'll-force-my-way-onto-the-team approach. 

It’s hard to foresee how (if) he fits into the lineup this season but anything can happen I guess.  

I think Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser and Miller-Horvat-Pearson will likely be where Green starts but any of Ferland, Miller and Pearson could end up on the 3rd line at some point.  

Then there’s the chance that sometime this season either Miller or an improved Gaudette ends up playing C and we could end up with a look rolling 3 scoring lines.. or Bo’s line goes back to matchup duty or whatever.  

Of course, even with some serious shifts Goldy is competing with Baer and Virtanen or even Leivo and Rousell (who was scoring at a great pace last year.  Should be an interesting camp / season!

Nice interview with Goldobin.

Here's my read on him:

-  He has tremendous skills... no question.  And that includes the option to be more physical... he is not a small guy... he is nearly 200 lbs in a 5' 11" body.. .he is solid.  He should be more physical.

-  In my opinion the problems Goldy has are all between his ears... he over-thinks situations too much.  He holds onto the puck too long... he waits to shoot... he tries to make the perfect pass instead of a good pass. 

If he could be a little more spontaneous, and just PLAY the game... just REACT... he'd do a lot better.

Get rid of the puck sooner, shoot sooner, pass as soon as the winger is open.

He should spend extra time in practice just shooting the puck instantly... get someone to feed him the puck and shoot it the instant it is on his stick... practice one timers until it becomes second nature.  The fact is, in today's NHL, goalies are so good you can't give them a chance to react... if you do, they'll make the save.  Very few players can shoot with the accuracy of someone like EP40... most players cannot pick the tiny opening in the corner... so it is better to just shoot the moment the puck hits your stick.  Unless of course you are on a breakaway... then you can think about it.  But in 90% of the shooting situations, it is better to just get rid of the puck immediately.

I have a feeling it is too late for Goldy... last year might have been his chance.  Which is too bad, 'cause he does have potential.

But coaches have to go with players who deliver.  So when they have a choice between a Josh Leivo who doesn't have as much skill, but who delivers on his chances... or Nikolai Goldobin who has skills oozing out of every pore, but who consistently blows his chances, the coach goes with Leivo everytime.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

It’s hard to foresee how (if) he fits into the lineup this season but anything can happen I guess.  

I think Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser and Miller-Horvat-Pearson will likely be where Green starts but any of Ferland, Miller and Pearson could end up on the 3rd line at some point.  

Then there’s the chance that sometime this season either Miller or an improved Gaudette ends up playing C and we could end up with a look rolling 3 scoring lines.. or Bo’s line goes back to matchup duty or whatever.  

Of course, even with some serious shifts Goldy is competing with Baer and Virtanen or even Leivo and Rousell (who was scoring at a great pace last year.  Should be an interesting camp / season!

I absolutely agree that there may not be a spot for him. My point was that given his comments, I think it's even more likely there isn't, as he didn't seem to take it as a challenge but rather more as a defeat. I hope I'm wrong and he proves us wrong and forces his way on the team, because that would be a great boost for us. If he doesn't, we'll still be just fine, but, man, that would be amazing if he blows us all out of the water with his compete. I. Can't. Wait. For. Training camp!

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, stawns said:

I didn't get that at all.  To me, it sounds like he spends a lot of one on one time with TG.  Seems like they're making an effort to get him going in the right direction 

That’s how I took the comment too. Doubt Green would have weekly meetings with a player he’s written off and wanting gone. 

• Upvote 1