The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should canucks hire a english/russian speaking assistant coach ?

Rate this topic

Nurnge

With the Canucks apparent reversal in Drafting top quality Russians . Are there things to make the Canucks a more friendly destination for Russian players . With Glody if he sticks and the return of Tryamkin and the arrival of Podkolzin would a Russian free agent or two in the next couple years be worth more to this group now ? Is hiring a English/Russian speaking assistant coach an asset . What makes some other teams Russia Friendly ? 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 5

33 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Does seem kind of weird that most Russian player seems to have bad experiences in Vancouver. 

Larionov and Bure were early and successful in the Russian NHL and Canuck history, remain calm!

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 1

This is where your scouts make their $. Drafting players from other areas of the world where they don't speak english could pose a risk. The way I see it, if these prospects want to play at the highest level in the NHL it goes without saying that having a decent understanding of the english language is going to be needed.

When you draft someone like Podkolzin like we did, you have to think our scouts and management knows that the language barrier is going to be an issue and would have had that type of discussion with the player at the pre draft interviews.

You select the best coach you believe with fit your team: White/black, male/female, Canadian or different nationality

• Cheers 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

If they want to play and live in a English speaking country they should probably learn English. Not saying this to be rude or anything. But that's the reality. Imagine moving to Spain to work and never learning the language. Your life is gonna be really hard.

I think English is the language of hockey.  Don’t most teams, that have multiple international players (Euro leagues too) use English as the common language, especially on the ice? 

I think language was only really an issue for Tryamkin, when it comes to our Russian players, and if we could go back in time, it’s possible that having a translator on staff when Desjardins was coaching might have helped with communications.

Certainly there were some misunderstandings between the club and Tryamkin. However, I place a fair amount of the blame for that situation on Tryamkin’s agent (Todd Diamond), who should have done more to ensure that his client knew exactly what was expected of him, and was better prepared for his first NHL training camp. I’d also put a fair heaping of blame on Willie Desjardins, who really seems to have some issues with Russian players. And Big Nik also should have done a better job with his English lessons, and probably should have been more proactive in his preparations, regardless of the quality of advice he was receiving from both his agent and the hockey club.

With Podkolzin, he’s already been taking English classes and I’d expect he’ll have no issues assimilating when he arrives in a couple years. Pod is such a hard worker, and does everything at 110%, so I expect he’ll be more than ready for the NHL, and everything that entails, when he finally comes over.

Goldobin’s English is already very good. No concerns there.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

No way do we pamper players to come and play in one of the most beautiful cities on earth,if they don't want to play here bye bye to them.

Playing a game you love and getting paid huge amounts of money to do it should certainly be insentive enough.

Lets remember that most people don't make in there whole working lifetime what these players get for a year or even 8 months of work or is it play,so once again NO WAY.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Absolutely not.   You don't cater to a specific group in a team game...it's up to the players to learn English and their teammates can help them with that as part of the bonding experience.  

Many players struggle entering the league ... for different reasons.  But it weeds out the weak from the strong, the committed to the half hearted, the guys with the drive to do anything to be here and win.  Not prima donnas who need everything perfectly in order as to their standards or they cry and go home.

I don't know that "most" Russian players have bad experiences "in Vancouver" or that other teams have more success with Russians.  I believe it's more a current climate of players getting big contracts and having demands and that can somehow trickle into their mindset.  That, with the big bucks comes a sense of power.  Perhaps it's more that the Russian players are a bit more stubborn in relation to this?  I don't even think there's a reversal happening - the team drafts the BPA that fits their vision.  It's not a matter of "choosing Russians".

As seen now with teams taking more of a stand you don't always kowtow to demands or it can open up a can of worms.   So no, you don't start customizing the team to fit a player or two or focus only on "one" player.  That short changes the others.  The players adapt to the NHL and the team they're chosen for...or they can take the next flight out.  Unless you're Petey...then you give the boy what he wants.

How does helping someone Automatically hurt others ? So you don't like goalie coaches either ? they are primarily for only a couple of players .   Any advantage over other teams that the the Canucks could take advantage of to help attract top free agents should always be considered . Sorry I could not leave this one alone but I do think your thinking is pre cap era . Now the best way for teams that don't get tax advantages to try things to lure better free agents as teams can spend as much on anything other than players . The swedes and other euro players already have a community here . Sorry again you didn't like my post But your last comment was nothing but mean

Make Goldy the team's  assistant equipment manager......   instead of a player... he can then help the Russian rooks with any english translations......  helps out with opening up a forward spot and cap issues at the same time.... win / win.

Edited by kingofsurrey

54 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

How does helping someone Automatically hurt others ? So you don't like goalie coaches either ? they are primarily for only a couple of players .   Any advantage over other teams that the the Canucks could take advantage of to help attract top free agents should always be considered . Sorry I could not leave this one alone but I do think your thinking is pre cap era . Now the best way for teams that don't get tax advantages to try things to lure better free agents as teams can spend as much on anything other than players . The swedes and other euro players already have a community here . Sorry again you didn't like my post But your last comment was nothing but mean

It sets a tone. 

Players coming to a team with a rider of requirements.

We don't appear to be having difficulty attracting prospects at the moment.  And the ones that will only come "if"?  Don't need 'em.

• Upvote 2

Ha everyone is focused on the op mentioning assistant coach but he also says bring in Russian free agents, Ufas I agree bring some in. If you look back on the Sedins time they had nazzy here and other swedes along the way...wasn't that the reason Matt Sundin came to Van? And isn't that why van is known for a great spot for Swedish players? I think it helps prospects having someone there to help them adjust to North America. 

• Upvote 2

Having a person on staff to translate and make sure that directions are not only understood, but why someone is having trouble catching on, could only help.  Doesn't necessarily have to be an assistant coach, but whether you sign a respected free agent of that nationality, or hire someone to be with the team in a capacity that would help, can only do good.   Probably good to have people down on the farm team with the same job title, so that our scandinavian guys don't get so frustrated and bolt all the times.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1