The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

he is planning to be the high guy (F3)....where he becomes invisible. Jake needs to be in shape to get in on the forecheck and be the first guy in (F1)...this is when he does the most damage...it's a bloody shame when he plays F3.

Unbelievable. Virtanen is fat and slow at his age. He should be ashamed of himself when he looks at guys like Edler and Beagle  who are10yrs older and still in way better shape than him. 

Guess he likes the pizza and burgers too much and training not so much. 

Should have made him go to Sweden hang out with EP for 2 months of summer.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Unbelievable. Virtanen is fat and slow at his age. He should be ashamed of himself when he looks at guys like Edler and Beagle  who are10yrs older and still in way better shape than him. 

I am sure if he asked the Sedins for some fitness tips or even a cardio session together, so he can see what it takes, they would oblige.. they are also local too. There are tons of local nhlers he can train with and compare to.

trying to reserve judgment until I see him in some games :) 

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Little harsh. I would reserve judgement until the season gets underway first. 

Yeah, Jake needs to pick it up, but he’s still young and has some maturing to do. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I remember when the best players on the team were taking 2 minute shifts "coasting in a game"....after a high tempo practice, I would bag skate the team (2 groups) for 2 minutes because that is how long they were on the ice during the game...timed the longest shift and then bagged skated them for that long (x2)....then I explained what I was doing to them....if they were quick learners, by mid season the shifts were down to 45 seconds.

Often times telling a message gets lost on someone but experiencing the message ingrains that lesson in your brain.   Love this approach.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The funny part is. He doesn't look that bad in shape lol. Sounds more like his endurance and strength testing was below their desired goals.

This isn't Jake's first NHL off season where he gained like 20 pounds lol

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Well if Jake doesn’t want to put in the work and continues to only show up for half the games this season his spot will eventually be taken by a younger, hungrier player who wants it more. It’s that simple. 

I will be at the day 2 training camp tomorrow, i noticed after seeing videos and pictures of todays training camp that the seating was pretty laid back, can you just sit wherever you like with no issues? also anyone know any information about getting autographs?

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

No offence buddy but this is garbage.  He's taking a sip of water.   Come on

I meant to add a comment underneath, about how he is just getting mad beaked on twitter now, poor guy, not that I agree with the tweet.  I can easily see it lighting a fire under him, Greener emphasizing the competition he has this camp.

Reserving judgment til the season :)

I really like Jake and have often defended him vs many of my buddies who have been vocal in their dislike for him. That being said, it’s really disappointing to me as a fan to see a kid with all the tools, who really needed to show he was maturing and taking the next step to develop into an impactful pro, to not come into camp in ELITE shape. 

Jake was well aware what he needed to do, we have a team full of great role models (twins, beagle, burr, Roussell, that he’s been exposed to in regards to offseason preparation), and that ignores young players like Bo, Stech, Marky, etc, and he failed to do one of the simplest things within his control, show up in excellent shape. 

What this tells me is he really doesn’t get what it takes and maybe is just “satisfied” being in the NHL. If you have the drive to be the best, to compete, you train like a demon in the off-season, especially when you’re still haven’t proven a thing. The greats also are never satisfied and come back every year like they’ve never proven a thing, that’s what makes them great. 

Yes it’s nice to see Jake saying the right things now, but he said the right things at the end of the year last year, he clearly isn’t walking the walk. 

Sadly, I think this may be Jake’s last year with us if he doesn’t really commit now. His leash has shortened with all the wingers we have, the young talent still coming (podz/hogs). 

It may may take a trade away from his hometown to wake this kid up. I would hate to see it, because that trade may wake him up and then he may turn into what he can be and we miss out on it. But the sad part is, it seems if he stays, he may never “get it” here. Basically, someone else may benefit from all the pain we’ve gone through to get through to him. 

He’s a 22 yr old Pro Athlete. You have one job, one thing you can control, that’s your fitness. To show up out of shape at this stage of his career, given he’s done it before and knows it’s unacceptable, is as I said, truly disappointing. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

No offence buddy but this is garbage.  He's taking a sip of water.   Come on

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

I like Chris Faber a lot. But I was there and several players drank water during the earlier bag skates. The only difference is the players had access to water on top of the nets. 

I'm not sure if someone forgot to put them out or maybe Jake just wanted to stretch his legs. Chris did a lot of coverage tho and most of it really solid. I recommend checking out his podcast "Canucks Conversation".

He does a really awesome job interviewing players, fans, members of the media. Overall his pod is pretty legit.

• Upvote 1