The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i take it all as green challenging jake to work harder and maybe improve his attitude. the fact that he didn’t want anyone to read more into it than that. green wants to get the most out of each player.  he knows what works with jake. lets watch his progress, instead of sending him to utica or elsewhere yet. 

Exactly, he's pushing him.......nothing more, nothing less.

• Upvote 3

When do they make the first cuts? If Virtanen is performing poorly in the tests, what can they do with him? It sounds like they really like him and want him to be a part of the team, but he keeps disappointing. Maybe it turns out he is the 13th forward? Maybe he'll have to sit in the press box a bit this season, and watch how Ferland plays the game until he gets it?

All this special attention for his development, but I'm not sure he has another level. Jake is too comfortable here and has been coddled by Green long enough.

26 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Ok... but a lot of us here were saying we thought they were fitness related.... based on evidence that we had gathered from the media presser, and Green's quote about JV being in group C. Again, not speculation. You can call it making an assumption based on very strong evidence if you would like. Looks like it was a correct assumption. 

Exactly. But I guess I am the culprit as I was fabricating quotes on purpose. Couldn’t be that I was using common sense to figure out what Green was referring to. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Lets relax here. Sure thus may be the virtanen we're stuck with. We probably wont get the hits like a truck drive the net and snipe goal guy we were promised, however a cheap fast guy who pots 30 pts and can hit is still valuable.  No reason to "cut" him whatsoever. 

The world still needs 3rd line wingers guys.

Wise words. However I'm going to take this is an opportunity to ask you how you haven't noticed that your sig has been a crying tinypic emoji for the last week? :lol:

Went to the arena for the second group today (well, end of the first group). Had my 3 and 1 year old all over me, but managed to take some of it in.

Sutter stayed behind and signed autographs for a good 15 minutes after their session.

Petey stayed around for almost half an hour taking pictures and signing stuff.

Miller has a deadly shot. Not a lot of guys were scoring in the drills, but he was.

Stetcher came to camp ready to go.

Gadjovich was exhausted during the drills - not sure about the bag skate as I had to leave before that. 

A lot of the guys were all business. Not a lot of smiles/joking around.

Hughes is so shifty, and has a sneaky shot from in close. Looked great.

Edited by TU90
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Lets relax here. Sure thus may be the virtanen we're stuck with. We probably wont get the hits like a truck drive the net and snipe goal guy we were promised, however a cheap fast guy who pots 30 pts and can hit is still valuable.  No reason to "cut" him whatsoever. 

The world still needs 3rd line wingers guys.

I'd actually like to see him get a chance to be that guy, which he hasn't. 

Last season he played a primarily defensive role, getting heavy dzone starts and playing with bottom 6 linemates and he was still on an 18 goal pace over 82 games.  Maybe he won't be that guy, but he needs the chance, at least.

41 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

So, my thoughts on Virtanen after watching the full session.

He clearly is not in as good a shape as say Beagle, Miller, Horvat or some of the others.

He was definately gassed after every drill, and was consistently behind the pack in the bag skate, while starting in the lead. 

In the first two sessions,  I rarely saw a player take a knee during the practice.  Jake was consistantly on his knee, or bent over.

The problem I think, is that he just doesn't seem to take it seriously.  For instance, Stetcher screws up a drill or doesn't execute well enough and he takes it out on the glass.  Benn and Beagle are battling each other hard. Not a lot of smiles in the first 2 groups.  Jake on the other hand can be seen talking with the trainers or coaching staff, often times all smiles or a couple chuckles.  Granted the chatter could be relative to what they are doing, but I didn't see any of the other Canuck regulars doing that.  They were all business, Jake seemed like it was a day in the clubhouse.  He then completely blows a drill, and then on his way back to the group he is smiling and chuckling about it.  I didn't see many players blow a drill.  Execute poorly, fall down..

sure, but Jake's mistake was like he was running a different drill then everyone else and then sloughs it off.

Idk, I feel his conditioning likely isn't far off, the real problem I think is his attitude and general aloofness or perhaps immaturity.

Anyways, my thoughts and observations for what it's worth.

Thanks for the fine observations. 

Very interesting indeed. Doesn’t sound too good.... 

Especially with the forward group getting  much stronger this year. 

2 minutes ago, Qwags said:

What's frustrating is how Virt and Stech are polar opposites. Jake has had everything gifted to him as a hockey player. Speed, size, scoring in juniors, a 6th overall draft spot, and he's still struggling to get the motivation to make everything work.

Troy was never drafted, is undersized, and was always told he'd never make it to the pros. But the dude works his ass off night and day and has forced his way onto this team, into the top-4, and onto Team Canada.

For sure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

@stawns @FaninMex

Oh and here's a tweet as well as some actual video evidence for you guys so that you can stop saying everyone else is "speculating". 

I agree he isn’t the fittest but it is only the last 8 seconds of the skate, most of whoever else you took the last 8 second clip video of at their end of the bag skate were probably looking pretty gassed. That’s the point of it. 

• Upvote 1