The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo comments on captaincy again..

Rate this topic

Rush17

19 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Bo for captain! Ha I like Petey but I think his better off focusing on the game and putting up points...I also want a captain that with drop the gloves to spark the team....like iggy fighting vinny in the cup final... Kinda like Dustin brown in La....

Nothing of the old era bull of turning the cheek 

I think Bo should be named Captain.  Opening night, handed to him by Henrik.

Just one caveat. I think Bo checks all the boxes, EXCEPT that he shies away from confrontation. This example is two leaders, (although Vincent hadn't received his C yet here), coming together mutually to make a statement.

I searched YouTube for Bo fights and found only two. Maybe he has more. But both were ones where he made a hit that was not appreciated by an opponent who then challenged him, or a team mate did. ie. he had no choice. He's a reluctant fighter.

I hate to say this but he's been more of a sweater grabber.  One of those players that grabs another sg from the perimeter of the scrum where they hold each others jerseys until its all over. Sorry. but that's what I've seen mostly from him.  Now I also don't want a complete hot head as captain. But I think he could be a tad more aggressive in situations where there is some kind of team showdown on the ice.

But....As I've stated earlier. I really believe that Bo would step it up, and take on a more physical role when the time came in future, if he has a C on his jersey. Even if its going against his nature, or what Obiwan Henrik has taught him. He'd do it out of a sense of responsibility to the team as its leader.  He'd grow into that role, take on that mantel. Linden was even less of a fighter, but he stepped up when he had to. Bo knows.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 9/7/2019 at 12:16 PM, debluvscanucks said:

"Bo didn't have that sort of impact early on"

Debut Nov. 4/14.   

Nov. 20/14.  Down 2-0 against big bad rival Ducks with their Captain Baldzlaf on the ice:

Ahhh I was there for that one.. brings back memories. What a pass by Dorsett too.
One of our only players that was with us last time we were in the playoffs, and was able to learn from the great leaders in the Sedins. His play in the playoffs that year was the best on the team, by far. Its been Horvat taking the next captaincy for me since then.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Opening night. End of warm up. Players huddle around on ice and then Henrik steps on the ice and skates over with a folded sweater. Hands it to Bo who puts it on, the "C" very visible. Beams. Players tap their sticks on the ice. Crowd applauds.

Question: what song will be playing?

Have you thought this all the way through?

You know we start the season with 2 games on the road?

So, no captain for the first 2 games for the sake of this ceremony.

Then we come back and play out this charade in front of our Sedin Nemisss  the LA kings.

They like lose the next 10 games after spanking us in this game

(seriously, when have the Canucks ever won a game after this type of ceremony?)

That is so not how I want to see it go down.

So much kitch

I'd expect the Randy Orton music to play, ( he plays for the Kings, right) while he comes out and ruins the moment.

I would like to (not) see it happen in the dressing room, and see Bo hit the ice 1st preseason game he plays with the C on his shirt.

Question: What is the value of this ceremony

23 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Petey is on a whole different level than Tryamkin and most rookies. Superstar level. He wouldn't mismanage Pettersson because Pettersson is so good he'd would help him win games and that's what coaches want. It would be pretty obvious for him to play Pettersson

Willie isn't that dumb, otherwise he would of never of won an AHL championship or be coaching at all.

The fact of the matter is Tryamkin isn't no superstar and wasn't playing even good enough to qualify for the Calder so he doesn't belong on the same field as Petey. He is a good prospect though.

well he isn't coaching  , he got fired   , he didn't even last a year with the kings

On 9/5/2019 at 10:54 AM, xereau said:

It's been over the team too long already, is the problem. Should have been handed over the last game with the Sedins.

Bo has developed very well... Perhaps keeping captaincy off him worked well to keep some pressure off and let him develop as well as he has? 

I'm happy with the way Jim and Travis have handled captaincy. I'm sure they'll make the right decision when they chose to do so. 

There's no doubt that Bo would be an incredible captain. I'd be totally fine if he got it... Or if someone else even got it. There's plenty of good character guys in this locker room that could be argued for as captain... 

There's Pete... There's Edler... There's Brock... All 3 along with Bo would be exceptional NHL captains. 

Perhaps somebody can save me from backtracking 15 pages.... this is nothing, right? I mean, my head says it's nothing but I've been wrong before but this can't be something, can it? I get why it might become CDCized and actually become something but its Bo and it can't really be something. It's gotta be nothing. Tell me it's nothing and nobody is obsessing over this. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, zimmy said:

Perhaps somebody can save me from backtracking 15 pages.... this is nothing, right? I mean, my head says it's nothing but I've been wrong before but this can't be something, can it? I get why it might become CDCized and actually become something but its Bo and it can't really be something. It's gotta be nothing. Tell me it's nothing and nobody is obsessing over this. 

It's nothing, but someone turned it into something (but it's still nothing). Easier for you to backtrack 15 pages, than it is me to explain it. Have fun.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Laheys Liquor said:

Ahhh I was there for that one.. brings back memories. What a pass by Dorsett too.
One of our only players that was with us last time we were in the playoffs, and was able to learn from the great leaders in the Sedins. His play in the playoffs that year was the best on the team, by far. Its been Horvat taking the next captaincy for me since then.

I was there too fun game to be at 

• Cheers 1

On 9/5/2019 at 10:40 AM, Rush17 said:

This is the like the fourth time he's talked about the captaincy in the last two years. First his dad came out saying he would be a great captain in Vancouver and here is another comment from Bo himself.

Personally I find this distasteful and extremely gross. If you are meant to be captain you shouldn't have to publically lobby for it. It is an honour given and him even expecting his name in the conversation bugs me. 

I think he should stop talking on the matter. Let things play out. Does this bother anyone else?

I'm sorry but you are the exact reason why this city, this media, this fanbase gets such a bad reputation. Unless you're just trolling????

Seriously. Bo Horvat is the best candidate to be captain of the Canucks, and it's nice to see some publicity on the Canucks when the entire TSN Hockey front page is always overloaded with Leafs news/non-news (ie. Auston Matthews spells his name with an "O, Auston Matthews has a mustache, etc). So someone asks him what his thoughts would be if he was captain (fair question), and now you go and blow this out of proportion and make it seem like HE was the one who is saying that he should be captain, and essentially throwing his team under the bus??

Give your head a shake. 

Seriously???? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, kilgore said:

I think Bo should be named Captain.  Opening night, handed to him by Henrik.

Just one caveat. I think Bo checks all the boxes, EXCEPT that he shies away from confrontation. This example is two leaders, (although Vincent hadn't received his C yet here), coming together mutually to make a statement.

I searched YouTube for Bo fights and found only two. Maybe he has more. But both were ones where he made a hit that was not appreciated by an opponent who then challenged him, or a team mate did. ie. he had no choice. He's a reluctant fighter.

I hate to say this but he's been more of a sweater grabber.  One of those players that grabs another sg from the perimeter of the scrum where they hold each others jerseys until its all over. Sorry. but that's what I've seen mostly from him.  Now I also don't want a complete hot head as captain. But I think he could be a tad more aggressive in situations where there is some kind of team showdown on the ice.

But....As I've stated earlier. I really believe that Bo would step it up, and take on a more physical role when the time came in future, if he has a C on his jersey. Even if its going against his nature, or what Obiwan Henrik has taught him. He'd do it out of a sense of responsibility to the team as its leader.  He'd grow into that role, take on that mantel. Linden was even less of a fighter, but he stepped up when he had to. Bo knows.

Lecavalier  knew how to fight...Iggy was a battler....if anything, Bo would be closer to an Iggy style captain if he got more physical and imposed his will

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Reluctant in your eyes, picks his battles (wisely) in mine.

He'll go if he has to.  But he also is pretty level headed and won't "buy in" - most teams wanting to fight are trying to get a team off their game or particular guy off the ice to give them an advantage.  Doesn't mean you have to buy in.

I agree he is smart enough to know when to buy in and when not to. My point was that he has not "had to" through his rookie years, and so he didn't much.  But IMO if he was given the C and all that that responsibility bears, and being raised in a Canadian hockey player environment, he would naturally 'buy in' more; to not just defending himself when he had no choice, but knowing he represents the team as a whole, would not just grab a sweater, but dive right in more.  He has that kind of character and intelligence to understand that. I have faith in that. Give him the C

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Me too....but this team's seemingly taught players to 'beat them on the scoreboard' and not retaliate because it can hurt the team.  I feel it hurts them more NOT to stand their ground at times because then they're targeted.  Unleash a little crazy once in a while to keep them guessing.  

by doing nothing, they're setting a standard...gotta keep em honest. A new sheriff in town attitude or don't mess with us pack mentality, is what the doctor should order!

17 hours ago, Hectic said:

I'm sorry but you are the exact reason why this city, this media, this fanbase gets such a bad reputation. Unless you're just trolling????

Seriously. Bo Horvat is the best candidate to be captain of the Canucks, and it's nice to see some publicity on the Canucks when the entire TSN Hockey front page is always overloaded with Leafs news/non-news (ie. Auston Matthews spells his name with an "O, Auston Matthews has a mustache, etc). So someone asks him what his thoughts would be if he was captain (fair question), and now you go and blow this out of proportion and make it seem like HE was the one who is saying that he should be captain, and essentially throwing his team under the bus??

Give your head a shake. 

Seriously???? 

Auston Matthews....metro GQ superstar!

Image result for auston matthews fashion

Image result for auston matthews fashion

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa1KE0cRoqY-LL6N6h2u9DR3E4dbOVR_VvR1uWWA0o7nbqg9U8

Related image

Edited by oldnews
  • Haha 2