The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] (Bos) McAvoy 3yr 4.9m per

86Viking

The Bruins have great team buy in

They set a good example for the rest of the league in their play (even when things get dirty they have each other's backs) their contracts and they have been relevant in the playoffs for the better part of 10 years

Edited by Wanless
  • Upvote 2

Just now, mll said:

Meier and Nylander were offer-sheet eligible.  Neither could file for arbitration though.  

Then I'd say that BB doesnt have a great case in that regard.  Ultimately, I don't think GM's care much about comparables in regards to RFA like Boes.  JB probably has a fair, albeit team friendly, number on the table based on his own internal comparables to manage his cap going fwd.  He knows Brock has no move other than sitting.

It's actually been well played by JB.  Clearly he knew where BB's camp was sitting before the draft and UFA and he bought himself a whole lot of leverage to use in negotiations with Boes.  They now have depth up front, other guys who can contribute and suddenly Bies sitting out isn't as impactful as it woukd have been last year.

Brock, really, has no move where he doesn't capitulate, imo.  If he doesn't, he's a helluva chip to have in a deal.

2 minutes ago, Wanless said:

The Bruins have great team but in

They set a good example for the rest of the league in their play (even when things get dirty they have each other's backs) their contracts and they have been relevant in the playoffs for the better part of 10 years

And who was one of the primary architects of that franchise?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

And who was one of the primary architects of that franchise?  

Chia Pet, Neely and JB. Chia did horrible on his own, JB hasn't done that well here really, made horrible signings, trades are a mix of some good more not so good. Helps when you have some prime players who just keep playing well as they age in boston's case.

Good coaching too

Edited by Canuckster86

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Chia Pet, Neely and JB. Chia did horrible on his own, JB hasn't done that well here really, made horrible signings, trades are a mix of some good more not so good. Helps when you have some prime players who just keep playing well as they age in boston's case.

Good coaching too

A number of poor signing for sure but in context somewhat required and not necessarily reflective of how GMJB will behave with a successful team in place i.e. (1) Van spends to the cap each year to justify ticket prices and (2) JB needed to fill spots with established vets to maintain a strong culture as his prospects joined the team (pros and cons of this plan have been much debated - I feel it has some validity but it is clearly subjective).

The team has missed the playoffs for four years and JB started five years ago, if this years team makes the playoffs and shows future upside it will be hard to deny that GMJB has pulled off a fairly tidy and quick rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Then I'd say that BB doesnt have a great case in that regard.  Ultimately, I don't think GM's care much about comparables in regards to RFA like Boes.  JB probably has a fair, albeit team friendly, number on the table based on his own internal comparables to manage his cap going fwd.  He knows Brock has no move other than sitting.

It's actually been well played by JB.  Clearly he knew where BB's camp was sitting before the draft and UFA and he bought himself a whole lot of leverage to use in negotiations with Boes.  They now have depth up front, other guys who can contribute and suddenly Bies sitting out isn't as impactful as it woukd have been last year.

Brock, really, has no move where he doesn't capitulate, imo.  If he doesn't, he's a helluva chip to have in a deal.

Rumour is JB offered a fair contract at the draft and Brock turned it down and then JB trades for Miller....signs ferland too. 

Maybe Jim kinda saw this coming....so he brought in players that could soften the blow of losing Brock for a few games....

even without Brock, I've never seen the Canucks with a top six like this....my opinion some of the best overall talent I've seen in the top six.....

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Rumour is JB offered a fair contract at the draft and Brock turned it down and then JB trades for Miller....signs ferland too. 

Maybe Jim kinda saw this coming....so he brought in players that could soften the blow of losing Brock for a few games....

even without Brock, I've never seen the Canucks with a top six like this....my opinion some of the best overall talent I've seen in the top six.....

And if Goldy has finally figured things out things get even rosier for management. *Crosses fingers*

I'll be shocked if Boeser still had the same representation after this. They've massively overplayed their hand IMO.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Ok, I think it is time for Boeser’s agent to man up and admit he screwed up “if” he turned down a $7 million x 6 year deal and demand a $7 million x4.

Boeser is great, but if you wanted to give me Macavoy or Provorov for him, I take that.

Exactly.  I am shocked Boeser is doing this. I have no issue with players getting paid within reason , but this should not be a difficult decision if that offer was real. 

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And if Goldy has finally figured things out things get even rosier for management. *Crosses fingers*

I'll be shocked if Boeser still had the same representation after this. They've massively overplayed their hand IMO.

Right on the money...same goes for Jake too...

if Brock hasn't signed before the season I can see the Canucks having a good start ( everyone's healthy usually means we are in a playoff picture) 

I agree Brock has over played his hand....all he is doing is giving the young guys time to show what they can do.....also if podz and hoglander put up points over seas , doesn't do Brock any favours either. 

• Cheers 1

Hmm, seems like Werenski and McAvoy took discounts?  Provorov had an off year it seems (0.32 points/ game vs. around 0.5 for both Zach and Charlie) but he earns around 1.5 million more than either of them... these are bridge deals?  

Also are there ramifications to having most of their earnings categorized as signing bonuses?  

17 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Hmm, seems like Werenski and McAvoy took discounts?  Provorov had an off year it seems (0.32 points/ game vs. around 0.5 for both Zach and Charlie) but he earns around 1.5 million more than either of them... these are bridge deals?  

Also are there ramifications to having most of their earnings categorized as signing bonuses?  

No escrow payments on SB (a loophole Marner used and something the league will close up for sure next CBA)...Provorov signed a longer term deal hence the extra cash.   Both these guys will get paid a lot more when these deals are up - it’s good for the teams too as they have the option to sign them long term after and enough to keep them for the majority of their primes ...

32 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I think Werenski and McAvoy are betting on themselves and will be making a couple M more than Provorov annually on their next deals if they continue in the right direction. Provorov, Morrissey and Keller too guaranteed longer term $ security

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Apparently JB fair team friendly number was 7 x 6.... and that wasn’t accepted.   Wonder if BBs camp is starting to see the light yet are or is still stuck in wait mode.   Just because he can’t get offer sheeted doesn’t mean that much - only AHO was with this entire crop - it’s not something GMs do lightly as bridges can  get burned doing that.   Arbitration yes...not that any of these guys have that either - Nylander didn’t and was a day away from sitting out the entire year - wish he did and wasn’t offered that deal in the first place.   In the end an impasse could cause damage but I’m fine with JB sticking to his guns, and agree our top six won’t be terrible without him although definitely not as good.   Comparables always matter when it comes to any contracts outside of ELCs (and even a bit there otherwise they’d all get league minimums) and have since salary disclosure started.  Agree that BB isn’t standing from the same position of strength he was advised he was - will be interesting to see what the final number is when it comes .

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Elias warming up his Audi, getting ready to pick him up from minny as we speak.

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Good coaching too

Benning walked into a team and franchise needing structure and new personnel from the ice - up & farm deep.

Benning is doing just fine.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 3