The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need more toughness

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

i really think ferland will do his job and benn will but hey i still think they will get pushed around a bit..we will see what other teams try against the canucks this season..going to have to play discipline tough hockey and take one for the team...if it means sacrificing your body for few penalties ...

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

well things will get nasty around the net this year and up front teams will be targeting the skilled guys...so send a message early canucks to other teams that it aint going be that way anymore..first 20 games so important..this is hockey not ringette...money side of things are done..now lets  see what we got....

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Disagree. I think we got tons of big bodies this summer and are good to go now. Myers isn't tough, but isn't afraid to use the body. Ferland and Benn as you mentioned are significant additions. Miller is no slouch either and Petey buffed up over the summer. I think we're fine.

Hughes first game this year looses some teeth in a nothing pre-season game .... would have been a perfect time to set an example.  Just like last year I’m not sure anything will change with the exception MAYBE, EPs left alone - at least until the games start to matter more - and that’s a big maybe in how the team reacts to the first couple weeks of the season.  

I do think Ferland knows what side his bread is buttered on but also don’t know with his concussion history that he will fight more then a few times a season - at least he has a solid reputation.  Roussel is probably the only guy that is willing to take a suspension to send a message on the team - glad he’s much closer to coming back then reported over the summer (could be back after missing maybe a week of regular season action).  

Yes weve gotten bigger over the summer - and a little tougher - but wouldn’t call this a particularly tough team other then tough to play against (hard working).   Fingers crossed it’s enough, could use some nasty though and more snarl.   Also hope that EP and Hughes realize they both have to maybe take some slashing penalties of their own to keep players willing to take liberties on them their toes and thinking twice - one thing the Sedins figured out their first couple of seasons playing in a much tougher time in the heart of the dead puck era, they were liberal in their use of lumber.

• Upvote 4

This is the toughest team iced in Vancouver in a long time. 

Ferland, Miller, Rousell, McEwan are all tough players that will drop the mits.  

Beagle, Pearson, Benn Myers and Bo are guys that are tough, strong and will occasionally drop the mits.  

Virtanen needs to play pissed off.  The Big Tuna needs to play like a Big Asshole to opposing teams.  Just like Big Bert did.  

But he has the tools to be a tough player.  

Our toughest player in many ways is Ep40.  The death stare says it all.  The skinny kid plays way bigger than he is.  He bites back.  

I suspect Quinn Hughes will be the same. 

So scrums will develop on plays where Ep40 and Qh43 push back.  Then players who are either tough, strong or both will be rushing in to protect these guys.  

Goldy won't be the winger for Brock and Ep40 anymore.  Ferland won't hug another player when someone tries to run Ep40.  

This is why I like Myers with Hughes.  Qh43 is going to embarrass veteran NHLers on a nightly basis.  Guys are going to take runs at him.  Those meatheads might think twice if a 6'7 giant player may be skating over to sort things out.  

Like Trymakin, Myers size alone can injure a player.  He's not a big fighter, but he could throw you across the room in anger without question.  

Could we get tougher, sure.  But we just got alot tougher.  Let's see how this works out prior to adding even more players.   

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 2

Great thread. The Canucks added JT Miller and Mike Ferland to their top 6 who are both heavy, physical wingers along with Jordie Benn and 6’7 Tyler Myers on the backend. Like, what more can you ask for in an offseason of trying to beef up? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1