The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  JT lived a sheltered life.  I believe him when he says that at that time he didn’t understand the racism of wearing a coloured person’s face.  He admitted he was ignorant.  Now he’s learned.  Good for him.  

Meh

Just speaks to his character really.

Reeks of rich kid entitlement. 

However, he has tried to have a diverse government in color and sex.

He has conducted himself as a progressive person over his tenure as PM so I think I'll cut him some slack.

Even though he's just a spoilt little brat on the inside.

Probably still wets the bed.

Ok that's a bit mean, but still. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

The opposition party of course... :lol:

That's Scheer today.

This is Scheer literally 3 days ago defending a very high profile candidate with literal years worth of history making homophobic and racist statements

EEy13onX4AANFgM.jpg:large

I love how this aged.  So...Scheer is not willing to accept Trudeau's apology?  or he is willing to accept the apology of a racist bigot but not his opponent?  A large part of why I can't stand him.  A good politician would basically eat the election after this.  Scheer somehow someway still manages to come off as...weak.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

That's Scheer today.

This is Scheer literally 3 days ago defending a very high profile candidate with literal years worth of history making homophobic and racist statements

EEy13onX4AANFgM.jpg:large

I love how this aged.  So...Scheer is not willing to accept Trudeau's apology?  or he is willing to accept the apology of a racist bigot but not his opponent?  A large part of why I can't stand him.  A good politician would basically eat the election after this.  Scheer somehow someway still manages to come off as...weak.

We need to spread awareness of what kind of a slimeball this guy is.

29 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Guy was in his 20's and wore an inappropriate costume to a costume party....

Hopefully JT has grown up alot since this incident

Agreeing with your comments King but it's worse than that.  Trudeau applied the make up when he was 29.  It's not like he was an uneducated college kid.  Not only that, but he was a frigging school teacher and in a position of authority, influence and responsibility.  It was his job to think of the consequences of his actions.  He didn't think it was a bad idea?  :picard: 

And for those of you who think that 2001 was the "olden days" and it was acceptable.  C'mon!  Blackface is a tradition that belittles black people and went out of fashion in the US in the 1950's because people then were uncomfortable with the racism even then.  If we ever see it today, it's being used in comedy like when Billy Crystal impersonated Sammy Davis Jr in a montage when he hosted the 2012 Oscars.

Having said that, what I think is important with our digressions is that we learn from them.  Trudeau owned up to what he did, apologized, and we'll see if the public thinks that it's a big deal.  The bigger issue for me is the repeated incidences of bad judgement like the SNC Lavalin scandal and his treatment of Jody Wilson-Raybold.

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

We need to spread awareness of what kind of a slimeball this guy is.

I won't say slime ball.  He's no different than Trudeau just an opposite side to the same coin.

but he just comes across as so .... I dunno.  Something.  Like I know he's willing to give p on his entire belief structure for a little power and he's just so willing to accept completely terrible, like openly terrible people around him to get it

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. If someone idolizes someone of another race, how is it insulting?

When I was 12, I idolized Jimi Hendrix and wanted to dress up like him for Halloween one year. I got the clothes and guitar down but didn’t quite look right. I wanted to apply some makeup to pull it off, but my mom advised against it. She understood how much I wanted to be Hendrix and said that it wouldn’t go over. 

At no time did I believe what I was doing was racist because to me Jimi was the man. It was a kid wanting to be like his idol. 

Your mom sounds very wise. 

I understand where you are coming from.  You loved Hendrix and wanted to emulate him in the best way possible.  But blackface has a long, dark history.  It is appropriation and exploitation.  Today it is extremely offensive and disrespectful to a lot of people because of it.  

If you wanted to be Bruce Lee, would you have painted your skin and slanted your eyes?  Would that be giving him the respect he deserves?

• Wat 1

Why can't white people wear black or brown face (yes I know, it's racist AF) but you can do a whole movie about black people putting on white face? I'm referring to White Girls of course. It's not that much different to when Chris Rock (I think, too lazy to google) who said he liked his new movie because he got to kill all the white people. IDK I guess I just live in a pretend world where racism is racism no matter.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

I'm surprised he did that in the 2000's.

Even in the 90's a white boy going blackface would get his ass kicked.

Rich kids suck.

Unless that 'white boy' could kick some ass himself.   The 90s people were still doing this and it only really became a racist thing in the last 5 plus years.  On programs in Asia you see this quite regularly.  

41 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I understand where you are coming from.  You loved Hendrix and wanted to emulate him in the best way possible.  But blackface has a long, dark history.  It is appropriation and exploitation.  Today it is extremely offensive and disrespectful to a lot of people because of it.  

If you wanted to be Bruce Lee, would you have painted your skin and slanted your eyes?  Would that be giving him the respect he deserves?

How a person looks is part of who they are. 

46 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

How is painting a face a different color in the Hendrix case exploitation?  And what would be appropriated - skin color?   Big words that you don't seem to understand.

Edited by samurai

Feels like either clown college or I've transported to the future. We've got the left winger apologizing for being racist. The limp-wristed, bible-beating right winger calling him out for his racism. The minority hard lefter, who still refuses to denouce his own far right supporters in a country far, far away, calling them all racist.

There was probably nothing too scheming in JT's mind when he dressed up for the party. Probably trying to swerve some of them hot private school teachers with his radical humour if the money didn't work. The optics aren't good however. Still kills me though, this line, this was racist then, it's racist now, it was never okay, we knew better even back then. Most of these folks grew up around that era. I did myself. It was pretty kosher to make fun of Arabs around 2001. Guarantee Scheer was out walking around in a bedsheet calling himself Abu Faisel, just nobody had a cell phone. Of course, this probably predated 9/11, which made things real serious. 

I hear more bs about these kinds of things than any party's platform. Perhaps no one cares, and the sideshow is what it is all about. TV ratings and such. We're going to end up with another minority government in short shrift and another election soon. Perhaps then one can field a half-decent candidate.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, steve french said:

I hear more bs about these kinds of things than any party's platform. Perhaps no one cares, and the sideshow is what it is all about. TV ratings and such. We're going to end up with another minority government in short shrift and another election soon. Perhaps then one can field a half-decent candidate.

Lol yes. More platform information please.. such a sham politics has become

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How a person looks is part of who they are. 

Yes but leave that alone.  African Americans have had a rough ride.  Blackface takes that struggle and turns it into a costume so you can look cool.  

18 minutes ago, samurai said:

How is painting a face a different color in the Hendrix case exploitation?  And what would be appropriated - skin color?   Big words that you don't seem to understand.

As I've already said... Would you be okay if some kid was respecting Bruce Lee by yellowing his skin and slanting his eyes?  

6 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Yes but leave that alone.  African Americans have had a rough ride.  Blackface takes that struggle and turns it into a costume so you can look cool.  

As I've already said... Would you be okay if some kid was respecting Bruce Lee by yellowing his skin and slanting his eyes?  

Bruce Lee doesn't have yellow skin nor slanted.  Regardless you haven't answered the question.  How is it the two terms you use in the Hendrix case?