The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Auston Matthews being investigated for disorderly conduct in Scottsdale

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

He’s also 20 years old. Most of us on here are in or late 20s and on. The kid has been in the spotlight since he was young. Of course these kids are going to act out sometimes. They aren’t robots. 

he needs to stand up and take responsibility for it like a man. But he'll hide and let others take care of it.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what does that have to do with anything in this situation?

You chose to call him a "dip $&!#" based on this incident so I cited evidence of him not being a "dip $&!#". The point is that unless you know Matthews personally you cannot possible say that this is reflective of his character or otherwise. Somehow I don't think people would be so quick to condemn if he wore a different jersey. But that is how it goes. I still remember the thread when Kane was accused of rape, it was just bonkers how many people were absolutely convinced that he had done it.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Toews said:

You chose to call him a "dip $&!#" based on this incident so I cited evidence of him not being a "dip $&!#". The point is that unless you know Matthews personally you cannot possible say that this is reflective of his character or otherwise. Somehow I don't think people would be so quick to condemn if he wore a different jersey. But that is how it goes. I still remember the thread when Kane was accused of rape, it was just bonkers how many people were absolutely convinced that he had done it.

I stand by it. I don't care what jersey he's wearing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

People acting like he tried to jump her. How'd this security guard not hear a bunch of intoxicated people coming towards her car? And the fact she recognized Matthews and got out of the car to confront them only makes me wonder what she is trying to get out of this story... Because if someone famous did this to me it would be a moment I'd tell my friends and remember forever ( I wouldn't be upset, I'd think he's a clown but nothing more ). Not something I'd go to the news about.

The guard got out of the car after recognizing Matthews as a person living in the condo complex she was guarding.  At first she only knew a group of young men were trying to get into her car.  What thoughts do you think went through her mind before she recognized Matthews as one of the men?  She got out of the car and told him she was really scared, and that his actions weren't funny.  She also said she called the cops because she was so scared.  Then he pulled his pants down and in no so many words basically said for her to kiss it. 

She didn't know the men weren't trying to jump her, right?   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

I don’t like Matthews in the slightest. But let’s be real here, if Pettersson or Boeser we’re in this situation would we all be ridiculing him ? 

They didn't so this point is moot and deflective.  How about we talk about what DID happen and who DID do it.

Don't even put their names in this conversation....it's unfair.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

I don’t like Matthews in the slightest. But let’s be real here, if Pettersson or Boeser we’re in this situation would we all be ridiculing him ? 

I would not be ridiculing them, I would point out that their conduct was probably illegal, just as I'm not ridiculing AM but pointing out the potentially illegal activity.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I stand by it. I don't care what jersey he's wearing.

We all have our way of looking at things. Could be I have made more poorer choices in my life that gives me some perspective about people and their true character. Maybe it makes me more hesitant to condemn others so swiftly and with such finality. 

1 minute ago, Toews said:

We all have our way of looking at things. Could be I have made more poorer choices in my life that gives me some perspective about people and their true character. Maybe it makes me more hesitant to condemn others so swiftly and with such finality. 

I never said he couldn't redeem himself. But for now, in the absence of him actively making this right, he is what he is.

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They didn't so this point is moot and deflective.  How about we talk about what DID happen and who DID do it.

Don't even put their names in this conversation....it's unfair.

Men say (and gesture) stupid stuff towards women every day.  What AM and his friends did was terrorize a young women, while thinking it was funny.  Just shows how ignorant so many of us (men) are.  No one wants to be scared silly, but this is beyond just scaring someone.  This is a girl, alone, at 2 am, with a cell phone for protection.  She called the cops.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, hero11 said:

Really?!  Who cares?!

Who cares about what?  That AM is an ignorant child in a man's body, who enjoys scaring women, and (when challenged by a women for such behavior) drops his pants and tells the girl she can kiss his ass?  

• Haha 1

This "who cares?", "this is nothing mentality" is what's stopping us from really progressing in society in a lot of ways.

We should care how our actions impact others.

We should care when we've drank so much we do things that have consequences then have to face them.  Bet Auston "cares" today as he has to face questions.

This is something....that's the message to send here.  If a call to police results in charges, obviously, it's something.  

On the grand scale of infractions...not the worst.  But in a time of "anti-bullying", "me too", etc.....this ticks off the reasons why this is inappropriate behaviour.  Whether young, old, drunk, sober.

We used to be ok with drinking and driving...until we really thought about the consequences associated with that.  It's the same here - some women/people do suffer from anxiety, PTSD, etc. and to purposefully target them for "a reaction" may be more serious to them than the bystander reading about it from home.

Again...put your daughter, mother, sister, wife in that car at 2 am then say "it's nothing" as someone attempts to get in her locked vehicle with her in it.

Not a BIG deal but I bet that, today, Auston feels like it is.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

He’s also 20 years old. Most of us on here are in or late 20s and on. The kid has been in the spotlight since he was young. Of course these kids are going to act out sometimes. They aren’t robots. 

Can't stand this excuse.   How many kids looked up to you when you were 20?  Being an athlete and a role model, and getting paid like one, requires a higher standard of responsibility.  

Sydney Crosby has had more attention at a younger age and he is non existent outside of the rink in terms of media attention.  

I don't care about the underpants part but opening a door of a female security guard who has PTSD was a stupid move and he's go to own up to it and pay the price.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Can't stand this excuse.   How many kids looked up to you when you were 20?  Being an athlete and a role model, and getting paid like one, requires a higher standard of responsibility.  

Sydney Crosby has had more attention at a younger age and he is non existent outside of the rink in terms of media attention.  

I don't care about the underpants part but opening a door of a female security guard who has PTSD was a stupid move and he's go to own up to it and pay the price.  

he's also had all summer to try to make it right, but didn't. 

• Upvote 1

I've done some questionable $&!# like this when I was drunk but never something this weird. Yeah he couldn't have known she suffered from PTSD but this is actually quite disgusting, especially in this day in age. Approaching a lone women, at 2am, to her locked car and trying to open it, and then doing that disgusting goatse $&!#, is actually truly truly disgusting and borderline sexual harassment.

Buddy really spread his ass cheeks in front of a security guard though. Im really not trying to process this visually in the my head but I kind of have an idea how it went down.. 

Trailer park trash..

Who moons ppl..really. that was trailer park trash in the 80s..

Can't believe there are actually people on here who believe it's no big deal to drop ur pants and show ur butt cheeks to a random person out in public.

Maybe some people are raised in different culture with a different belief system than me.

But for me and my group of friends we would never hang out  with a trashbag who engages in that type of behaviour..