The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini Interview Thursday OCT 3 @ 10 AM

Rate this topic

Squamfan

On 10/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

One of the worst owners in North American pro sports. Butchered the Canucks brand for the 50th anniversary, very meddlesome, pushed Linden out of his presidency, very feared by his many employees. Aquilini only bought the Canucks and the arena was so he could build his real estate empire in the surrounding areas as well as the future add-on towers to Roger Arena. He only spends to the cap so the Canucks can be in the playoffs - that's how he makes his loot other than ripping off his employees in his other businesses.

Did he not pay you to lay some brick work down or something?

30 60 90 man, it works!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I  met Aquilini some time ago and I found him to be a very nice person who loves hockey.  

Clearly Aquilini loves the Canucks.  He's been a fan for a long time.  I just wonder if he allows his judgement to be clouded by a fan's passion?  Maybe he needs to completely recuse himself from any hockey opps decisions?  Why should JB need to get Aquiliini's approval for any hockey move?  Who really wanted Loui, JB or Aquilini?  I accept there is the public side of all our management - from owner on down to coaches.  I just wonder if Aquiliini's fan's passion for our team (his team) might get in the way of good choices?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Do the current seats have cup holders?  Gotta have good cup holders.  This is like Trump deflecting the important issues with minutia.  Who cares about the friggin' seats?  We want a Cup.  Win a Cup,  and I think every fan will be happy.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do the current seats have cup holders?  Gotta have good cup holders.  This is like Trump deflecting the important issues with minutia.  Who cares about the friggin' seats?  We want a Cup.  Win a Cup,  and I think every fan will be happy.  

but the cell phone holder are good

• Haha 1

Just now, Squamfan said:

but the cell phone holder are good

Oh, ya.  We gotta have cell phone chargers in the seats too.  Maybe add "Blue Tooth".  No wonder the league had to install netting.  Fans don't really watch the game.  :shock:

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Clearly Aquilini loves the Canucks.  He's been a fan for a long time.  I just wonder if he allows his judgement to be clouded by a fan's passion?  Maybe he needs to completely recuse himself from any hockey opps decisions?  Why should JB need to get Aquiliini's approval for any hockey move?  Who really wanted Loui, JB or Aquilini?  I accept there is the public side of all our management - from owner on down to coaches.  I just wonder if Aquiliini's fan's passion for our team (his team) might get in the way of good choices?

at the time everyone seemed to be on board in signing Loui , owners, gms and coaches  did not believe Loui would play like this. many owners in this league  have a hand in running  their teams to an extent, Bruins guy for one. and so they should , they pay the bills , they own the teams. almost every team has a Loui, 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

One of the worst owners in North American pro sports. Butchered the Canucks brand for the 50th anniversary, very meddlesome, pushed Linden out of his presidency, very feared by his many employees. Aquilini only bought the Canucks and the arena was so he could build his real estate empire in the surrounding areas as well as the future add-on towers to Roger Arena. He only spends to the cap so the Canucks can be in the playoffs - that's how he makes his loot other than ripping off his employees in his other businesses.

VancouverFan69 its time for bed.

• Cheers 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:56 PM, Alflives said:

JB said that his talk with Aquilini about sending Gagner to the minors was the most difficult conversation he’s had with our owner.  JB is a very honest guy, and almost to a fault.  IMO he had a similar conversation with Aquilini about Loui, and this time Aquilini said he’ll no.  “I’ve already paid this guy 4 million for this season.  Isn’t there another way?” 

He’s a smart guy - and knows that only a miracle would have to occur for a trade to open up that wouldn’t further jeopardize our future.   Three more seasons is a long freaking time no doubt.  At some point unless he really does something incredible, that discussion (placing  him in Utica) will happen.   And he won’t bat and eyelash IF it makes the club better.   He’s spent to the cap most of the time through a rebuild where it’s not necessary, money doesn’t seem to be an issue.  I’m sure JB would still not enjoy the discussion as he’s on the line for the transaction in the first place, but if AF is such a hands on owner as suggested,  why’d he ever approve the deals in the first place - and if he did then he’s responsible too.  

One game has come and gone, two points for Conner McDavid - otherwise the lineup we started with did more then enough for two points against that team anyways.   Pretty sure if things don’t work out over the next couple weeks Bear and or Goldobin will be back and a couple other guys will be sent down - and if that happens we can all say told you so.  

In the end AF wants a cup as bad as anyone, and playoff revenue is a bonus.  One series would pay for LE for the year and if he thinks he should go - he will go.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

at the time everyone seemed to be on board in signing Loui , owners, gms and coaches  did not believe Loui would play like this. many owners in this league  have a hand in running  their teams to an extent, Bruins guy for one. and so they should , they pay the bills , they own the teams. almost every team has a Loui, 

Just for fun go back and see what we on the CDC had to say about the signing.  For the most part very optimistic - in summation he’d help re-ignite and keep the Sedins relevant - with a few suggesting near the end of his contract he’d make a good penalty killer - depth vet.   Aside from the first year he’s spent the majority of the time straight to depth vet.   Hard to score 40-50 points on the fourth line and no PP time.   Bad signing, eventually he will be gone and we can all rejoice.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Just for fun go back and see what we on the CDC had to say about the signing.  For the most part very optimistic - in summation he’d help re-ignite and keep the Sedins relevant - with a few suggesting near the end of his contract he’d make a good penalty killer - depth vet.   Aside from the first year he’s spent the majority of the time straight to depth vet.   Hard to score 40-50 points on the fourth line and no PP time.   Bad signing, eventually he will be gone and we can all rejoice.

I'm proud to say I was one of the dissenting voices. :lol:

• Cheers 1

You are an idiot!!! Clearly you know very little to nothing about him or how he’s supported / run this franchise!!  No owner is perfect including ours, but he is a very good owner (I shouldn’t have to explain why). Maybe having an owner like Ottawa (or others) would put things in perspective for you! 

Edited by IRR
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bree2 said:

I agree.  However us it best for a fan (Aquilini) to be involved in hockey opps? It would be like one of us making decisions.  Crazy stuff would happen.  

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

On commemorating Luongo: "Roberto's number is being retired in Florida this year. We've got a lot of stuff going on with our our 50th anniversary plans, so no plans right now for Roberto -- we might in the future but right now we don't."

Lu should be inducted into the Ring of Honour......

After his cap recapture penalty expires. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  However us it best for a fan (Aquilini) to be involved in hockey opps? It would be like one of us making decisions.  Crazy stuff would happen.  

When its your money you have every right to

• Cheers 1