The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goaltending Duo

Rate this topic

iceman64

15 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Schneider averaged a 2.1 GAA and a .930 sv% over his three years where he played 20+ games.

Luongo averaged a 2.37 GAA and a .917 sv% over his 8 years. 

Demko with very little NHL games under his belt doesn't have enough to give us a solid representation of his stats. 

Markstrom averaged 2.71 GAA the last 4 years and a .912 sv%. 

If you ask me, Luongo/Schneider and it's not very close at all. However, if both Markstrom/Demko continue to tear it up I might change my answer in a few years. 

Ok I'll hunt you down in 2022 and demand an answer! ;)

Hopefully it has changed by then!  Demko, I think has the best goalie last name though! Lol

• Cheers 1

Luongo and Schneider won the Jennings trophy in 2011.  Not sure how you can compare them to a goalie tandem where one of the goalies has only played 12 NHL games while the other one has only been a legit starter for 2 years.  Luongo is a future hall of famer, Schneider was traded for a top 10 pick.

• Upvote 3

Luongo and Schneider were both in their prime playing together, although they were playing in a slightly more defensive era and it's arguable that they had a better team in front of them whereas Marky and Demko are playing behind a decent defence but in a very high-offence era.

Not close right now, but that could be due to sample size. What we've seen so far this year rivals Lu and Schneids, but Luongo and Schneider could both consistently put up stellar numbers. We'll see if Marky and Demko can keep it up.

5 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Ok so not much going on in the boards so I thought I might talk about something I thought of earlier today, who do you think was a better Goaltending Duo? 

Luongo and Schneider or

Markstrom and Demko?

Or just your thoughts on styles etc?

It’s tough to say.   I think the 2006-2009 Luongo was absolutely amazing and was the best goalie that we ever had.    The way that he stonewalled Dallas in that 2007 playoff series was unreal.    Unfortunately, I don’t think he ever really fully recovered after the 2009 playoff loss to Chicago.   Luongo was still a terrific goalie and had all of the stats to back that up, but he often became vulnerable and shaky when we needed him the most.     

Luongo should have been remembered as the Martin Brodeur/Dominik Hasek of our generation, but I think he’ll now be remembered as this generation’s version of Curtis Joseph.  Still very very good, but not the cream of the crop.

While we’ll have to wait and see what Markstrom is made out of when the playoffs hit, I get a real sense of security and stability with him back there now.   The players in front of him seem to feed off of his confidence as well.   

As far as Schneider and Demko go, I think we need a bigger sample size to see what we have in Demko (although I really love what I see so far).

My decision:    I’d probably still lean towards Luongo and Schneider due to the fact that we already know what Luongo is like come playoff time while Markstrom is an unknown.   The sample size for Demko, much like his manhood, is a little too small for my liking.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Come on... I love both our goalies now but you’re asking who’s better between:

A Hall of Fame goalie + a goalie who at his best was better than any goalie in our history

vs

A rather unproven starter + a rather unproven goalie in general.

Again I love their potential but how is it even close at this point. It’s like comparing, I don’t know, Sidney Crosby vs. Nico Hischier after Hischier has a few nice games.

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Grape said:

Come on... I love both our goalies now but you’re asking who’s better between:

A Hall of Fame goalie + a goalie who at his best was better than any goalie in our history

vs

A rather unproven starter + a rather unproven goalie in general.

Again I love their potential but how is it even close at this point. It’s like comparing, I don’t know, Sidney Crosby vs. Nico Hischier after Hischier has a few nice games.

It’s better discussion than what’s currently offered in these sleepy boards. 

The OP admitted as much. 

The witch hunts of the past drove away much of the diversity (or adversity?) that made this forum an interesting read at times.

Now we’re just left with a petting zoo.

In 21+ years, I’ve never seen the forum so uninteresting or blasé to the point of having to manufacture discussion threads or topics, as was the case here. So, I don’t mind the thread premise, despite agreeing with your answer, which is pretty much an /thread response. 

13 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Ok so not much going on in the boards so I thought I might talk about something I thought of earlier today, who do you think was a better Goaltending Duo? 

Luongo and Schneider or

Markstrom and Demko?

Or just your thoughts on styles etc?

I think you can see something gestating with Markstrom/Demko that could be similar to what we had with Luongo/Schneider. The big question is whether they'll be together long enough to play it out as a duo with the looming expansion. 

So, as promising as Marky/Demko look from a "could be" or "what if" perspective, Luongo and Schneider proved they were the better duo in spades. They backstopped Presidents trophy winning teams and got us to a Cup. And really, they both went through the wars to get us there. With Marky and Demko, it feels as though they're just beginning that jouney. But again, I question just how long they'll be together. 

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’ve never seen the forum so uninteresting or blasé to the point of having to manufacture discussion threads or topics

There is another way to look at it. The team is winning - at the moment - and destroying a lot of longstanding, negative narratives. We're also healthy with guys like Sutter, Schaller, Leivo, Tanev doing well. Eriksson isn't playing and the new additions are paying off. If we were 3-6 instead of 6-3, these boards would be lighting up like a Christmas tree.