The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fighting around the NHL

Rate this topic

FaninMex

I do not watch a lot of other teams as I just do not have the time. I was wondering if people have noticed a big drop in fighting like I have. This subject has been brought up by the usual suspects who need to complain in the JV thread.

However, I have been noticing that when a scuffle starts the ref is there yelling that he will toss one. Linesman have been involved quicker than years past as well. 

Is anyone else noticing this around the NHL or is it just me in our games?

7 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Besides that Reaves fight, all the other fights so far have the linesmen jumping in 10 seconds in.

So, are we seeing the NHL taking another step to try and remove fighting?

Ferland and Wilson Hug and ref is chirping. Beagle starts trying to push and start something and the ref is yelling I will only take one.

Past games the same thing. 

Edited by FaninMex

I understand why they're trying to limit the amount of fights... but deep inside (probably watched at least 60% of AHL and NHL fights the past 10 years) it sucks as a fan...

Especially when guys who do know how to fight (Wilson) opt not to because it's just not as common anymore.

Even last night, seeing Wilson refuse Ferland sucked, would've been a good fight.  Prior to that, Wilson turned down Kassian and started glove punching him instead against the Oilers on Thurs.

Gonna be interested (or sad) seeing what will be considered a "fight" in hockey 10 years from now. Maybe it'll just be two guys squaring up and facewashing each other with gloves on.

8 minutes ago, LeanBeef said:

Even last night, seeing Wilson refuse Ferland sucked,

It would not have been a "good fight" at all. Wilson was gassed and trying to leave the ice, while Ferland was fresh and ready. I am a bit surprised they did not meet later when both guys could go at it.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

It would not have been a "good fight" at all. Wilson was gassed and trying to leave the ice, while Ferland was fresh and ready. I am a bit surprised they did not meet later when both guys could go at it.

Maybe mutual respect?  Aren’t they both coming off concussions from last season?  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe mutual respect?  Aren’t they both coming off concussions from last season?  

don't know about Wilson, but I think you are correct with Ferland.

Thought Ferland had a very good game, even without a scrap.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

The message was sent.  Wilson was picking on Myers.  I don't remember any big hits by Wilson after that.  No need for a fight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's definitely not as frequent nowadays. Most of it is because of when they did that whole concussion study and the subsequent player lawsuits. They also started to crack down with the instigator penalties a few years ago. The fact that the instigator is at the ref's discretion, makes it kind of a crapshoot if you're standing up for yourself or a teammate. No one wants to take an extra 2, 10, and a game, nor can teams really afford to lose a player, as everyone has a certain skillset they bring. As a result, the game has become faster, and more skill focused, making the Sestito type players of the league a thing of the past imo.

• Upvote 2

I like fights in hockey a lot (if they’re not the staged fights), BUT with what we know about head injuries now I can see why players are less enthusiastic to drop the gloves and why the league would want to lower the consistency of bouts if possible (especially if a memo sent out to officiating teams telling them to work at preventing fights could save them a lawsuit or two in the future)

With that being said, it’d sure be nice if the NHL would be as proactive on preventing headshots as they have been on preventing fights this year. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Cheers 3

18 hours ago, J-23 said:

Best fight of the season so far…

In slow motion you can see Reaves catch/block this guys punch.

That fight was Vegas entertainment like their pregame show. They should get Reaves fighting at home games more often. I really want to see Reaves / Gudbranson , maybe Reaves / Lucic drop the gloves. 

JV should of had one of his only career fights too but the refs were right there to break it up.   This trend has been going on for years now but I definitely think that the refs are mandated to break them up now too before they start.  Plus they are there as soon as a player takes a shot more then a little shirt jab, annoying as F. 

For over a decade I used to go see who fought in hockeyfights.com almost daily (yes I like hockey fights!) - the last few years only go on every week or two - and maybe watch a couple and leave annoyed (or go back and watch some old fights to get a fix)...they are mostly terrible - at best average (Reeves and Wilson would be average fighters ten plus years ago, McGratton or Brashear or Orr or Berube or a variety of guys would make mince-meat out of them) ...

It sucked when the instigator penalty was created, it sucked when bench clearing brawls became a footnote in hockey lore etc.    Milbury’s prediction has come true - the NHL and hockey has become pansified through pansification (ok just wanted to say that - he was a hilarious sound-bite).  

That said, before Ferguson guys fought on occasion but it wasn’t at all like how things amped up after expansion.   Even he would often lead the league with ten or less fights - but before Ferguson came along it was often 4-6.    Maybe things have just gone full circle to what it was like pre-enforcer.   Still nothing gets fans out of their seats faster then hand to hand combat - doubt it will ever be banned from the game completely.  It’s part of the Sport.   Ferlands first will definitely add some adrenaline to the players and excitement for the fans.