The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 10, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I am not sure if I have ever seen a game so poorly refereed in the 60 years I have been on this planet.  It was unbelievable. :sick:

They were bad but we actually have more power plays called for us then any team in the league right now . The conspiracy theorists should chew on that 

• Haha 1

I’m not impressed with Captain Horvat thus far. 

Not to say I’m unimpressed. 

Although, I was expecting him to be unchanged after putting on the C, so I shouldn’t be surprised or have a grievance of any kind towards his leadership approach on the ice. 

He should initiate and be the swagger, but he hasn’t. 

There are several others, vets, who should also be doing more to inspire the style of Canucks play when needed out there, but aren’t. 

I think JB should make a few trades still. Upgrade or downgrade (picks/prospects), but keep building tomorrow’s team. 

TG is alright, but he’s shown misjudgment in several situations and is largely predictable, but not in a good way, like his blender, not calling key timeouts and his OT roster. These are growing concerns to keep an eye on. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Does this mean you have to cancel the parade?

I say we spearhead this parade ASAP and get an organizing committee together. 

We'll need at least 2 parades in the next 5 years so I really think it's best for the city to prepare ahead of time.  Considering the demographic of our downtown core, it could get ugly for sure. Not because of the die hards... But because of all the bandwagoners we'll have who are absolute drunk hooligans. These are the same guys that will be able to name 5 players on the roster only. 

Same as all those hooligans that rioted in 2011 and gave us a bad wrap. If you tested any of them on Canucks knowledge they probably couldn't tell you what # our captain even wears. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We want it all and we want it now.

But this team full of young, speedy, skilled players is ALSO now developing a level of grit and toughness that is required.  Give them time to firmly put it all together?  I'm not sure about Green, but I don't know enough to suggest he's "a problem". We always go that route here so it suggests to me that the fans just figure that's the key to success.  Fire someone.  Everyone.  But they've found some success with this group and I'd prefer to relax and instil some trust in them.  Allow some wiggle room rather than just decisions based on winning/losing streaks that all teams will experience at times.  Even the best of them.  Changes, at time, will need to be made but with a group that's really just establishing their identity and getting used to the ebbs and flows of the other teams, it's a bit premature for that.

Some will argue that St. Louis fired their coach and that was the key.  However, the year before they also strugged early on then got going in the second half under that fired coach.  So, perhaps, teams just have to have time to figure it out for themselves and work through things.

I get criticism...but temper it and don't have rash reactions that call for drastic measures.  Be careful what you wish.  Green's style of coaching seems to really lend itself to younger players who are working through those kinks.  Could get some hard nose who pokes his finger and yells...or one who demands the team blocks all the shots all the time.  Could get worse instead of better.

Things need tweaking, not an overhaul.

FIRE:  AV, GILLIS, WD, NB, FINN, THE DJ, AQUILINIS, DEB

Want it now and full of young players. Some posters think it is still too soon and there are not enough young players, skill players.

Let's look at the now part, it has taken Benning's excellent drafting 6 drafts to put two top six players and one top 4 defence on the team, the other Jake and Gaudette so far are support players available every FA day, so no real steals there. Pretty  much Jake and Gaud are just there because they are younger. The team has only 5 players under 24 on it, for a rebuilding team into it's fourth year of rebuild this is a dismal record let alone going 7 drafts. If the old "but look at all the prospects" stuff comes out when this is posted then how are all these prospects helping the team win now? Isn't that the same thing as saying, the team is not ready yet? Wait for the prospects?

The team and players have learned how to deal with losing, how to be "professional" and take in stride, the really tough thing is to change that into expecting to win every night and doing just that. The old Canucks team had lot's of "ugly wins" mostly because they just played like they expected to win, they knew they could win, they had swagger. On this group of Canucks only Tanev and Edler have ever played on a winning Canuck team, the rest have been on a perennial loser.

• Cheers 1

That was a rough game to watch. Not because we lost, but because of the inconsistent reffing. Numerous missed calls on both sides, weird icing and offside calls and misses... Watching the Canucks lose stings,no doubt, but watching terrible officiating really puts me over the top. Almost makes me want to stop following the game. Something's gotta give... 

Back to the Canucks... I think it's safe to say that this is the first true test of adversity that this team has undergone this season. The next three home games are, in my opinion, what will really define how this season will progress. Three losses to three playoff teams can spell disaster. That said, if the Canucks can squeak a win over Nashville, I believe that will do wonders for the club. 

13 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Canucks fans today:

giphy.gif

But it is true and it's still good the way I see it 

We're 3rd in the division, have a 20 year old scoring over a point per game, have an abundance of other young studs mixed with great vets. 

It really is too good and we're too lucky to be fans of this franchise. It's true. 

how i met your mother nod GIF

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

St. Louis was an exception not the rule

Oh really?  ALL teams...even those that win the cup, will struggle at times.  None of it really matters except how it all ends.  Imagine if they reacted to losing streaks/periods in ways that some here do?   Gloom and doom?  Maybe they wouldn't have won the cup as they did?

There's no rhyme or reason in win/loss streaks....they happen.  Sometimes teams run hot and cold, that's all.

Capitals:  2017-2018:

Lost 6/10 out of the gates

Lost 3 in a row right before Christmas then again in January

Lost 4/6 in February

Pittsburgh Penguins 2016-17:

Lost 4 in a row in March that year

Were .500 from the end of February-end of March that year

2015-16

Out of the gates with 3 back to back losses

AFTER a 6 game winning streak went:  L-S/O W-L-L-W-W-L-W-L-L-W-L-L-W-L-L-L-L-L-W-W-L-L-W-W-L-L

Blackhawks 2014-15:

Lost their last 4 in a row to end the season (AFTER a 4 game win streak?)

That's as much homework as I'm doing here.  Someone may delve into changes made that they will tie to turnarounds, however, I'm not investing any more time in this.  You can't assess if a team's "good" or "bad" based on streaks.  It's an overall assessment that's required - and this team is doing some things that they hadn't.  Scoring (we're in a mini slump as I see it - but they've proven they can score multiple goals when they start clicking).  Goaltending - we've had some of the best but it can't be lights out every game..some bad goals will go in.  Grit/toughness - we're showing more of that. 

My thinking is you have to ride out the storms because every team will have them.  Whether it be through injuries, goaltending let downs, scoring slumps, etc.  They all can possibly be worked through and you can't give up on things prematurely or too early.  I think that's the case this year with this team for some of the fans who are already jumping ship and will show up later riding in a tank.  They're hitting the panic button already.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

They were bad but we actually have more power plays called for us then any team in the league right now . The conspiracy theorists should chew on that 

I wasn't able to watch this game.

But I think it has to do with the timing of the calls being made.

When the nucks are down a goal they tend to call less against the opposing team and even tend to call some questionable ones on the good guys.

But if the nucks are up a goal or have any sustained pressure it seems rather frequent that a questionable call is made in favor of the other guys.

It is not just Vancouver that is dealing with this though.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

No easy wins here. Even Edmonton is good this year (gagged as I said that but still). How many people think we can go above .500?

Its not as much about who were playing its more about how we are playing, JB needs to shake things up. Waive LE and watch him opt out of contract or retire and make a trade involving Stetcher and Sven\Goldy\Leivo for top 6 winger and add one of our defensive depth players to our top 6 defense

Edited by Sbriggs
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They needed to get more shots. Lots of zone time & possession didn't end up in as many chances as we should have had.

Part of that is NJ playing a disgusting style, but still.

More often than not the shots from the Canucks is very flattering for the goalie. So this team relies on luck to win. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Goaltending - we've had some of the best but it can't be lights out every game..some bad goals will go in

The goal tending has been great but it has been covering up for other areas needing big improvement. The team needs more under 24 players on it but the way it is structured right now is to be competitive for a playoff spot.

The team looks like it should have plenty of trade assets at the TDL if they decide to go that route, they have almost 8 bottom 6 players they could move to give contending teams depth for a playoff run, teams like Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh and even Tampa, teams that are in a win now window, teams with aging out stars and core players, teams that will give up a 25th pick for a Tanev or a couple of 2nds for a Sutter, the trick is for Benning to create some cap space so he can retain some salary,

In this year's coming draft a 35th pick might be equivalent to last year's 9th to 15th.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I say that’s more because our players are terrific penalty drawers. Leivo’s boardwork for example is phenomenal. Petey alone draws tons of penalties and our players play high tempo and go to the boards and net. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m not impressed with Captain Horvat thus far. 

Not to say I’m unimpressed. 

Although, I was expecting him to be unchanged after putting on the C, so I shouldn’t be surprised or have a grievance of any kind towards his leadership approach on the ice. 

He should initiate and be the swagger, but he hasn’t. 

There are several others, vets, who should also be doing more to inspire the style of Canucks play when needed out there, but aren’t. 

I think JB should make a few trades still. Upgrade or downgrade (picks/prospects), but keep building tomorrow’s team. 

TG is alright, but he’s shown misjudgment in several situations and is largely predictable, but not in a good way, like his blender, not calling key timeouts and his OT roster. These are growing concerns to keep an eye on. 

Not a fan of Green.  You could tell that NJ has an excellent gameplan against the Canucks forecheck.  They consistently escaped their own zone trapped 2-3 forwards and went on odd man rush.  NJ has fast forwards, and there is no reason to commit so many players that deep in the zone.  The way that Green decided to adjust was by continuously mashing up the lines.  The personnel on this team is excellent.  I really wouldn't change much.  The coaching is ridiculously simplistic.  I mean its dump and chase hockey with zero adjustments.  Recycle to the point and crash the net.  The Canucks have the personnel for it, but when you play the same style every shift every period the other teams adjust.  The Canucks adjust by using different line combinations.  You can see Pettersson dumping in pucks.  You know 100% thats not something he is doing because he thinks its the best play.  Its simply the gameplan.

Horvat is fine.  He just needs a defined role on the team.  If he is going to be scoring line 2 then give him one of Miller or Boeser.  If he is going to be shutdown center then play him in that role.  Right now his line is the whatever line, no identity and no effort by the coach to give him consistent linemates.  If I were Bo, I would be confused too.  

Baertschi and Gaudette had chemistry in the pre-season why not give them a game together?  I know that they arent going to be crash and bang as a line, but the changeup could be useful when the other three lines are dumping in all game long.  

It's almost like Green got so sick of the Sedin's that he can't stomach one more minute of possession hockey.  I remember a couple of years back when Dorsett completely shutdown McDavid and got under his skin.  It was such a clever gameplan, and he was alternating NIlsson and Markstrom based of style of play.  Now its seems like Green just doesn't care anymore.  Its like he is tried?  Or just wants to simplify because its a long season.